News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New Tony Predictions?

A1st
#250New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 3:54pm

In regard to scenic design, I would have so say scott pask would be nominated for Finding Neverland (maybe even something rotten) over the visit. Don't get me wrong the set for the visit is beautiful but is very simple once the show starts. There are moments in both neverland and rotten where I looked at the scenery and either said "wow that is gorgeous" or "wow that was incredible how they did that"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#251New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:36pm

Id be utterly shocked if The Visits set is not nominated. The award isn't for the busiest or most extravagant set.

evic
#252New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:44pm

Did you look at the details of the set for The Visit?  Amazing.  It is quality over quantity. I am pulling for this brilliant show in many categories.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#253New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:50pm

The award isn't for the busiest or most extravagant set.

That's exactly right! Otherwise, Once would have never beaten Spider-Man for Best Scenic Design of a Musical.

Updated On: 4/15/15 at 05:50 PM

Annetteiago
#254New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:58pm

American in Paris

The Visit 

Fun Home

Something Rotten

is this what will be four

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#255New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:20pm

SO Finding Neverland didn't exactly take off.

Now, let's see the nominees will be

American in Paris (because it got the best reviews for a musical this season)

Something Rotten (because it's gay-gay-gay and it makes stupid theater people feel smarter than they are)

Fun Home (because it is important - read dreary - and has a non-melodic score.)

and #4, I'll go with ---

The Last Ship (because Sting became a hero on Bway in the way he fought for it)

If there is a fifth spot -- Finding Neverland  - or if they really hate Harvey -- The Visit (because it is Ebb's last show and probably Kander's and Chita's, too)

The Winner will be American in Paris because it will sell better than the dreary Fun Home on the road.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#256New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:44pm

ohmygosh if An American in Paris wins the Tony for Best Musical I will literally be DONE with the Tonys

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#257New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:44pm

I second Annette.

If THE VISIT gets bad reviews, I think it'll be that against Finding Neverland.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#258New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:48pm

There are still other shows yet to open after American in Paris, and if nothing else Fun Home is likely to get the raves it received off-Broadway, so American in Paris won't have gotten the best reviews this season. And I'm a fan of the show, but it isn't dreary- sad, yes, but it's far from dreary. Plus, as has been established many times (see Once, Gentleman's Guide) the road vote matters less then people like to think.

And I'd be shocked if The Last Ship were nominated over The Visit. Sting will likely be nominated for Best Score, but I don't think the show as a whole will get the nomination.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#259New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:52pm

"ohmygosh if An American in Paris wins the Tony for Best Musical I will literally be DONE with the Tonys"

Wow, you really have it out for this show.

Phillypinto
#260New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:17am

yeah idk what it is about AAIP, but it doesn't sit well with me.  I just think I'm over the whole interpolating gershwin music into a show. I think a lot about Xanadu and Once, and how they were movies, changed the book for the musical, and still had the same music in the musical from the movie, but those shows seem to be more authentic and special to me than An American in Paris.  I haven't seen the show yet, but I still hope a more original musical wins

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#261New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:35am

My prediction for winner of Best Musical goes to either Fun Home or Something Rotten.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#262New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:54am

In the musical set design department, I'd personally put Derek McLane's set for GIGI over Michael Yeargan's under-designed KING AND I. I found FINDING NEVERLAND interesting but rarely beautiful. Scott Pask's THE VISIT was indeed a static unit set, but so evocative and well thought out nonetheless. Beowolf Boritt's controversial ON THE TOWN sets also rate a nomination from me. But ultimately I'd say they should all bow down to the pure imagination and execution of Bob Crowley's gorgeous AMERICAN IN PARIS, which ought to win.

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 12:54 AM

littlebro2
#263New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:02am

Phillypinto: Don't discredit a show you haven't seen! Just because it doesn't appeal to you does not mean it isn't worthy of awards. You seem rather enthusiastic about some plays (especially Living on Love) but keep in mind that one cannot speak objectively until they have seen the play. 

2014- Cripple of Inishmaan, Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Bullets Over Broadway

Phillypinto
#264New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 12:47am

anyone think It Shoulda Been You can pull an upset? It got 6 OCC award nominations! I hope it does!!

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#265New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 6:38am

"yeah idk what it is about AAIP, but it doesn't sit well with me"

You haven't even seen it! You haven't seen the majority of these shows. Your opinion means absolutely nothing.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

CoreyRyan3
#266New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:24am

"anyone think It Shoulda Been You can pull an upset? It got 6 OCC award nominations! I hope it does!!"

Not going to happen.

aj88
#267New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:31am

OCC always gives some kind of random curveball nominations and wins. I think the nominations for It Shoulda Been You will be the curveballs this year....I can't see it gaining much traction beyond this except maybe for some acting nominations....maybe it will get into Book...maybe. I don't have a personal opinion as I haven't seen it, but I guess we will see what happens.

neonlightsxo
#268New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:38am

Pull an upset at the Tonys? No.

Phillypinto
#269New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:50am

a nominations upset

Videos