Skip to main content
Shop Merch Add a Show Listing
My Shows
News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
#76

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

quizking101 said: "Honestly, after some thought, I’m sticking with Janney and JLD should have switched roles. Janneyis a creature of the theatre and would’ve known how to land that snobby, contemptuous affluence, while JLD could’ve played into the comedy she knows best.

"

I saw a b-roll compilation of the original cast on YouTube. I immediately thought Janney should play the Stockard Channing part and JLD should play Silda.

#77

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

I had originally assumed that Janney was Polly and JLD was Silda. The thing is, Janney could play both of those roles easily, while it seems that JLD maybe doesn't have the chops for Polly. Both roles fit squarely into Janney's wheelhouse, but she did just do a famous Channing role on her last Broadway outing.

#78

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

No one will ever stand a chance taking out Stockard in the the role. She was stunning and deserved the Tony that year. She held the audience in her palm.

Updated On: 10/9/26 at 09:06 AM

#79

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

CoffeeBreak said: "The direction is almost non existent. It leaves the actors on their own making for a very uneven night of varying styles and energy. They should bring in a director NOW to help this cast find its play - even ifmiscast. Right now they are left out to dry. And the poorstaging is hurting the scenes and play itself. This needs help. now. Producers, get on it while you can."

I was surprised they assembled this cast and didn't hire an equally A list director. I understand Hickey has a good relationship with the author and some of the cast but his resume is not that of a Mantello, for example.

#80

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

Considering Mantello did the original run and probably wouldn't be asked/want to return to it, I would Lila Neugebauer, David Cromer, or Pam MacKinnon would have been the best choices to direct.

#81

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

My understanding is that Hickey is the one who initiated the revival and assembled the cast. This wasn't a case of producers starting with the property and/or cast and then looking for a director (a la Audra's Gypsy). This article kind of says it, but I'm sure I read an interview with Baitz that says Hickey pitched it to him.

#82

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

I couldn’t agree more with CoffeeBreak, this show is all at sea. When you have Allison Janney sitting with her back facing the audience and not reacting to a pivotal moment, you know you’re in trouble.

I will say that Lily, Joe and Ed are hitting it out of the park! I don’t care what the reviews say (…which I think will be a pass, especially for Julia, if she’s lucky), but true theatergoers must see these three dig into their parts. Really a masterclass of acting. I’d say the same of Alison but unlike Judith, she kind of sinks into the background. I feel like Lily will definitely be remembered come Tony season.

The play itself is also a vestige of its time. Where there is no longer shame in politics for far greater offenses, the reveal of this play just lacks impact. I was in my 20s when I first saw this, and perhaps time has made me more jaded, but the play now feels like it lacks consequences.

Updated On: 10/9/26 at 10:43 AM

#83

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

MemorableUserName said: "My understanding is that Hickey is the one who initiated the revival and assembled the cast. This wasn't a case of producers starting with the property and/or cast and then looking for a director (a la Audra's Gypsy). This article kind of says it, but I'm sure I read an interview with Baitz that says Hickey pitched it to him."

Regardless, it is Hickey who has truly dropped the ball here. And hard.

When you have Janney fading into the background (a hard task) and Lily in a different play - there is a directorial issue. The staging is collegiate and awkward (not in a good way).

Someone needs to step in and get someone else in there to "help". It will sell but sad with the talent assembled - and at the price.

Hickey is a lovely lovely man - but his loveliness isn't helping this cast or play.

Updated On: 10/9/26 at 10:50 AM

#84

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

Not arguing in favor of Hickey's direction by any means. I took issue with the staging in my long, rambling review and certainly could have said more. Just noting that it's not simply a matter of thinking someone else should have been hired if the production started with him. No one else could have been hired; it's his production (for better or worse).
#85

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

I totally get that. Agree.

I do hope they can find him some help to work the play into something before opening. This does happen.

#86

Re: OTHER DESERT CITIES 2026 Previews

WldKingdomHM said: "No one will ever stand a chance taking out Stockard in the the role. She was stunning and deserved the Tony that year. She heldthe audience in her palm."

She had a formidable opponent at the Tonys in Nina Arianda, and I think Stockard would’ve won had Nina not made a volcanic debut.

With regards to the role - nobody will ever beat Stockard if they decide their best course is to copy Stockard. With a performer that is matched to the material and a director to get them there, they can certainly create their own memorable version that people will be talking about for years.


Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Latest Posts

BroadwayWorld TV


Ticket Central
Hot Show
Tickets From $58
Hot Show
Tickets From $80
Hot Show
Tickets From $67
Hot Show
Tickets From $59