News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Performers that make a show

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#0Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 4:55pm

what are performers that make a show or are the only good things in a show.

Brian Charles Rooney in Threepenny Opera

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#1re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 5:03pm

I certainly don't think he's the only good thing about the show, but I can't imagine Drowsy without Bob Martin. Maybe it's because he's the writer and therefore he's closer to the material than any other actor would be in that part, but he plays it so well regardless...

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

Salad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
#2re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 5:38pm

Sara Ramirez in Spamalot
she made not have made the whole show, but like it suffers without her!

lucyjessie
#3re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 6:35pm

Hugh Jackman in Boy from Oz

Mythus
#4re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 6:46pm

Pfffft, Sara? Christian Borle in Spamalot.

tz0o
#5re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 6:50pm

I may have not seen Spamelot, but, yeah, I second Sara Ramrirez. You can tell that other than the guy who plays Patsy, she's really the only decent thing about the show.

And I remember this one time I went to see Mamma Mia. It was all horrible, except for the understudy who played Sophie. She had this gorgeous singing voice, much better than the one on the OLC album.

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 6:55pm

I may have not seen Spamelot, but, yeah, I second Sara Ramrirez. You can tell that other than the guy who plays Patsy, she's really the only decent thing about the show.

That may be the most idiotic thing I have ever read on this board. How in God's name could you know that Sara and "the guy who plays Patsy" (Michael McGrath?) are the only decent things in this show if you have not seen it?

PEACE.
Updated On: 7/24/06 at 06:55 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#7re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 6:59pm

Wait a darn minute, aren't you the same twit that just had the "I am leaving and never coming back" meltdown on the OT board?

PEACE.

Yero
#8re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:01pm

hehe, twit...

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#9re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:02pm

Have to agree with Bob Martin in "Drowsy." Also Michael Cerveris in "Sweeney."

#10re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:04pm

Also Michael Cerveris in "Sweeney."

Love Michael, but I couldn't disagree more. The show is great due to the overall quality of its cast.

Unless you mean that Michael is the only good thing about Sweeney. In that case, well...

tz0o
#11re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:05pm

Ok, then I'll be fair. They seem to be the best things on the soundtrack.

Do I sound less idiotic now?

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#12re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:08pm

cast recording tz0o, and i thought you were leaving??

tz0o
#13re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:08pm

Well, Suleen, if you have actually decided to read the darn thread, which I am no longer postin' in by the way, you would have found that I decided to stay afterall. And please don't call me a twit. It's very rude to call a complete stranger names. Now please, I don't want this to turn into an argument, so let's go back on topic.

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#14re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:09pm

- Idina Menzel in WICKED.
- Norbert Leo Butz in DRS
- John Lloyd Young in JERSEY BOYS
- Barbara Streisand in FUNNY GIRL

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#15re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:19pm

By no means did I mean that Michael was the only good thing about "Sweeney." The ensemble is wonderful too! I guess what I meant was that Michael's performance adds a great deal to an already wonderful show. I think Felicia P. Fields in "The Color Purple" and Victoria Clark in "The Light in the Piazza" fall into that same category.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#16re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:20pm

After seeing the giant dip in ticket sales, def Norbert in DRS!

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#17re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:30pm

Well, Suleen, if you have actually decided to read the darn thread, which I am no longer postin' in by the way, you would have found that I decided to stay afterall.

Read the whole darn THREAD? I hardly got through your whole darn POST. And why does it not surprise me that you don't know the difference between a soundtrack and a cast album...or that you weren't really serious about your leaving, or that it wasn't about attention or your ego or whatever...there has never been a poster who has left after such a diatribe and stayed gone. But I think you may be the first who continued to post in other threads while saying you were leaving the board forever....

PEACE.

#18re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:37pm

I guess what I meant was that Michael's performance adds a great deal to an already wonderful show.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I think the first post in the thread is a bit misleading and confusing. Are we supposed to be naming shows where a performer was the only good thing about it, shows where a performer made the show passable, or shows where a performer takes the show to new levels?
Updated On: 7/24/06 at 07:37 PM

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#19re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/25/06 at 5:28pm

siamese dream yeah sorry I realized that after i posted. All of them whichever you want

JustABroadwaybaby2
#20re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/25/06 at 5:40pm

Victoria Clark made Piazza for me.
As did Bob Martin for Drowsy. He is so funny, and so real.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#21re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/25/06 at 5:57pm

Kelli O'Hara made Piazza and Dracula both.
Brooke Shields made Wonderful Town.
Stephen Lynch and Amy Spanger made The Wedding Singer.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Mark Loves His Scarf Profile Photo
Mark Loves His Scarf
#22re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/25/06 at 7:27pm

I agree, Lynch made Wedding Singer. IMHO, Sutton made Drowsy, but Bob is the genius. Sutton also made Millie and Little Women for me. Morrison and O'Hara made Piazza.

"I haven't got a pail." "Find your grail, your GRAIL!" "But it's not missing. It's right on the counter where it's supposed to- defying gravity, my giant cup's gone!" "Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes. How do you measure... measure a year?" "How many times do I have to tell you, it's five hundred twenty-five thousand, five hundred and eighty-five point thirty-two minutes. You will never graduate if you keep basing your math on showtunes." "You ruin Broadway for me." "As well I should."

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#23re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/25/06 at 7:44pm

I'm with all of you all with Bob Martin and Sutton in Drowsy.

I'd say Eden in Brooklyn, but I'll have a chance to see Diana in a couple of day so I can decide then.

Kristin Chenoweth in Charlie Brown.

As a Rent fan, I'd say the whole OBC, but especially Wilson. They aren't irreplaceable, but they are certainly something very special.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#24re: Performers that make a show
Posted: 7/25/06 at 8:00pm

When I saw Avenue Q on broadway, Barrett Foa and Ann Harada made the show for me. I think that the recent revival of Sweet Charity would have been awfful without the wonderful Christina Applegate and Denis O'Hare.

Mary P x

Videos