News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025- Page 2

Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025

TimeToDither Profile Photo
TimeToDither
#25Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/11/24 at 2:09am

I simply loved the Shed production. The writing is extraordinary, of course, but the production itself was very much unlike anything else I've ever seen. I hope that no matter if they go with the same design or something new (and I'm always up for changing things up), the set & tech lives up to the expectations set by the original production.

I agree that I'd see this coming back to Broadway for a limited run only if they book a major star; on the occasion ... how about someone unexpected? My fantasy casting would be led by someone like Renee Zellweger or Marion Cotillard if we can't get the original cast.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 2:00pm

Just a note, perhaps semantics: This cannot come BACK to Broadway, as it was never on Broadway. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

KevinKlawitter
#28Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 2:17pm

dramamama611 said: "Just a note, perhaps semantics: This cannot come BACK to Broadway, as it was never on Broadway."

Ah! But what if they mean "Back (to New York City) to Broadway (this time)"?

SEMANTICS FIGHT!!!

hearthemsing22
#29Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 5:35pm

I'm totally fine if this lives in the history of productions that are only at The Shed, and do not come to Broadway. 

We do not need every work on Broadway. Or even the West End or on tour. This is one of those that I think this applies to. West End is fine- but I don't think this will find a Broadway audience even if it's a limited run. 

dramamama611
#30Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 5:56pm

KevinKlawitter said: "dramamama611 said: "Just a note, perhaps semantics: This cannot come BACK to Broadway, as it was never on Broadway."

Ah! But what if they mean "Back (to New York City) to Broadway (this time)"?

SEMANTICS FIGHT!!!
"

Put 'em up!

Then they should write more clearly.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TimeToDither Profile Photo
TimeToDither
#31Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 5:37am

We do not need every work on Broadway but if all we get there is second rate Disneyfied versions of classics and jukebox musicals without focus on anything else, I worry for the future of theatre. This would be a perfect mix of well known authors and something truly contemporary while still artistically groundbreaking.

hearthemsing22
#32Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 11:38am

TimeToDither said: "We do not need every work on Broadway but if all we get there is second rate Disneyfied versions of classics and jukebox musicals without focus on anything else, I worry for the future of theatre. This would be a perfect mix of well known authors and something truly contemporary while still artistically groundbreaking."

There are plenty of works coming in on and off-Broadway next season that are not based on pre-existing material. And also of note- I think you can count on one hand the number of jukebox musicals that are coming in next season. Don't like them? Don't see them. There is actually plenty of variety coming in, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned lmao. The future is not dim, or bleak. I do not believe Here We Are needs a broadway run. Even limited, let things be! Leave them alone and let them have their special limited runs off-Broadway. There's zero guarantee it would do well, even with a limited off-Broadway run. So let's focus on upcoming shows, shall we?

Updated On: 9/13/24 at 11:38 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#33Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 11:49am

hearthemsing22 said: "TimeToDither said: "We do not need every work on Broadway but if all we get there is second rate Disneyfied versions of classics and jukebox musicals without focus on anything else, I worry for the future of theatre. This would be a perfect mix of well known authors and something truly contemporary while still artistically groundbreaking."

There are plenty of works coming in on and off-Broadway next season that are not based on pre-existing material. And also of note- I think you can count on one hand the number of jukebox musicals that are coming in next season. Don't like them? Don't see them. There is actually plenty of variety coming in, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned lmao. The future is not dim, or bleak. I do not believe Here We Are needs a broadway run. Even limited, let things be! Leave them alone and let them have their special limited runs off-Broadway. There's zero guarantee it would do well, even with a limited off-Broadway run. So let's focus on upcoming shows, shall we?
"

Take your own advice and mind your own business.

hearthemsing22
#34Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 11:50am

TotallyEffed said: "hearthemsing22 said: "TimeToDither said: "We do not need every work on Broadway but if all we get there is second rate Disneyfied versions of classics and jukebox musicals without focus on anything else, I worry for the future of theatre. This would be a perfect mix of well known authors and something truly contemporary while still artistically groundbreaking."

"

Take your own advice and mind your own business.
"

I didn't attack anyone, I was not snarky, I merely expressed my opinion. No reason to tell me to mind my own business. 

Updated On: 9/13/24 at 11:50 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:02pm

At this point, it seems like this is the only opinion you even have. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#36Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:09pm

Why is “Broadway" considered top of the hierarchy? It’s not even a real thing, just an imagined construct. The number of seats, price of tickets, location, etc. have no bearing on the quality of the work. Here We Are doesn’t need it for validation, and neither did Assassins.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

MemorableUserName
#37Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:32pm

I wasn't going to say it, but...this site is Broadway World. This forum is still listed as the Broadway Forum on the Chat dropdown above. It hardly seems unreasonable for people on the Broadway Forum of BroadwayWorld to contemplate whether, or hope that, shows will go to...Broadway.

Jay Lerner-Z
#38Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:39pm

New York, sure, but really what difference does it make if Here We Are moves a mile up the island of Manhattan.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

TotallyEffed
#39Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:46pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Why is “Broadway" considered top of the hierarchy? It’s not even a real thing, just an imagined construct. The number of seats, price of tickets, location, etc. have no bearing on the quality of the work. Here We Are doesn’t need it for validation, and neither did Assassins."

Some of you are so weird and just want to argue to argue. Assassins came to Broadway and won five Tonys. Assassins didn't need to do that but it was a fabulous production that introduced the piece to a much wider audience and was a critical success. I loved Here We Are very much and that's why I want it on Broadway, to be able to see it again and for other people to see it. Why is that so hard to understand?

Jay Lerner-Z
#40Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:56pm

What was I arguing? I see it more as conversation.

You answered my mild and harmless query with some points worth considering. Thank you. I guess it makes some sense from a marketing point of view. If it helps broaden audiences, all the better.

So I’m weird, big deal. I usually wear that as a badge of honor.

Jay Lerner-Z
#41Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:00pm

P.S. Some of you may need reminding that neurodivergent people exist, and that not everybody sees life through the same lens as you.

TotallyEffed
#42Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:03pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "not everybody sees life through the same lens as you."

That was my point. :)

hearthemsing22
#43Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:15pm

MemorableUserName said: "I wasn't going to say it, but...this site is Broadway World. This forum is still listed as the Broadway Forum on the Chat dropdown above. It hardly seems unreasonable for people on the Broadway Forum of BroadwayWorldto contemplatewhether, or hope that, showswill go to...Broadway."

And just as people can do that, one can also say no, it doesn't need to have a Broadway run. One would hope others acknowledge and realize that as well.

And is everyone here implying that the shows coming to Broadway are not going to broaden audiences minds, they're not going to have an affect the same way this show would? You need to open your minds. I saw Here We Are. It was great at The Shed. I'm allowed to debate this with you without being subjected to rude comments. 

hearthemsing22
#44Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:18pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Why is “Broadway" considered top of the hierarchy? It’s not even a real thing, just an imagined construct. The number of seats, price of tickets, location, etc. have no bearing on the quality of the work. Here We Are doesn’t need it for validation, and neither did Assassins."

Jay Lerner-Z, I completely agree. It doesn't need Broadway to be validated even if it is Sondheim. That doesn't mean a production should automatically go to Broadway or it's not a good enough, or anything like that. And this also can open it up for licensing which would take a lot longer if it had a Broadway run. Wouldn't it be awesome for a school to advertise an upcoming production as "one of the greatest contributors to Musical theaters last work, see it here!"? Personally I think it would be awesome to say that a school or community theater is doing that work. 

dramamama611
#45Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:41pm

Could you not see it again at an off bway house? 

Updated On: 9/13/24 at 01:41 PM

TotallyEffed
#46Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:44pm

dramamama611 said: "Could you not see it again at an off bway house?"

Well, yes.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#47Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:58pm

I want it to go to Broadway so that they can win Best Musical, Best Book, Best Score, Best Direction, Best Orchestrations, Best Scenery, Best Lighting, Best Costumes, Best Sound, Best Leading Actor (Cannavale), Best Leading Actress (Bay Jones), Best Featured Actor (O’Hare), Best Featured Actress (Gray).  That’s 13 which would get them the most Tony’s in history.  It really should clean up nicely.

dramamama611
#48Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 2:18pm

Considering they didn't make the show eligible for off Bway awards, that doesn't seem to align with the powers that be. 

hearthemsing22
#49Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 2:27pm

Broadway Flash said: "I want it to go to Broadway so that they can win Best Musical, Best Book, Best Score, Best Direction, Best Orchestrations, Best Scenery, Best Lighting, Best Costumes, Best Sound, Best Leading Actor (Cannavale), Best Leading Actress (Bay Jones), Best Featured Actor (O’Hare), Best Featured Actress (Gray). That’s 13 which would get them the most Tony’s in history. It really should clean up nicely."

Just as shows do not need to go to Broadway to be validated, they also don't need to win Tony Awards either. See: Wicked and Avenue Q. Which did not win Best Musical but is now a cultural juggernaut, and which one won Best Musical but has not been running anywhere as long? Why does it need to win awards? Because you want it to? Lmao. 

Videos