News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024- Page 5

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#100THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 2/29/24 at 1:23am

I can't wait for the Optics Police to yell about how they replaced a female director, set designer, costume designer, and lighting designer, and a trans female choreographer,with men for the London revisal."

Well those people all clearly did a super job.

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#101THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 4/17/24 at 5:27pm

Vanessa Williams was on Alec Baldwin's podcast Here's The Thing and briefly discussed the upcoming West End production, describing some of the thought process and even singing a bit of a new song.  The whole interview is interesting, including about her work with Sondheim, but the discussion about The Devil Wears Prada starts at about 37 minutes in, if you're interested.

Here's The Thing Podcast: Vanessa Williams

Updated On: 4/17/24 at 05:27 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#102THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 4/17/24 at 5:46pm

Reassuring that (it sounds like) they've done so much surgery on the show including some new songs.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#103THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 4/17/24 at 6:28pm

I love the cover of Vanessa Williams' new album Legs (Keep Dancing).  She looks amazing and the song seems like it'll get the dance floor going.

hearthemsing22
#105THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 3:29pm

Already a fan of the actress who will be playing Emily. She seems great 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#106THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 4:12pm

Have they cut or added any principal characters since the previous version in Chicago?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#107THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 4:19pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Have they cut or added any principal characters since the previous version in Chicago?"

https://devilwearspradamusical.com/cast-and-creative/

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#108THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 4:32pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Have they cut or added any principal characters since the previous version in Chicago?"

https://devilwearspradamusical.com/cast-and-creative/
"

I am aware that casting has been announced.

I am asking if someone with more time on their hands today than me has already had a chance to do a close analysis based on the Chicago and London runs.

If that person is not you, you can and should ignore the question.

hearthemsing22
#109THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 4:40pm

According to the Wikipedia article, there were two characters that don't seem to be in the cast now. They are Lauren and Kayla. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_Wears_Prada_(musical)

I went through the cast list twice, and did not see those names under the UK Cast List 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#110THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 4:40pm

OK, just cross checked the website with my Playbill from Chicago. Characters that aren't listed now are "Lauren Hunter" & "Kayla Ward". Characters now listed that weren't in the Chicago Playbill (and I don't remember if they were in the show, itself) are "James Holt", "Jacqueline Follet" & "Irv Ravitz". 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#111THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 5:13pm

Jordan Catalano said: "OK, just cross checked the website with my Playbill from Chicago. Characters that aren't listed now are "Lauren Hunter" & "Kayla Ward". Characters now listed that weren't in the Chicago Playbill (and I don't remember if they were in the show, itself) are "James Holt", "Jacqueline Follet" & "Irv Ravitz"."

Thanks!

Soozie
#112THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 5:28pm

Jordan Catalano said: "OK, just cross checked the website with my Playbill from Chicago. Characters that aren't listed now are "Lauren Hunter" & "Kayla Ward". Characters now listed that weren't in the Chicago Playbill (and I don't remember if they were in the show, itself) are "James Holt", "Jacqueline Follet" & "Irv Ravitz"."

I saw it in Chicago. Ensemble members played those 3 parts (James, Jacqueline, Ira)  if I recall correctly. One I am positive about is that Jacqueline Follet was played by Nikka Graff Lanzarone in the Chicago production.  I have the Playbill and it only lists ensemble members for being "ensemble" though.

Updated On: 6/4/24 at 05:28 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#113THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 5:35pm

Oh, ok. I had a feeling those character were in there but the only real memorable thing about the show was just how God-awful it was. I’ll be at the Dominion when this new production starts and I’m morbidly curious if they’re able to do much beyond give it a nicer set and costumes. I just have a bad feeling. I hope it proves me wrong. I doubt it will. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#114THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 6:08pm

I, too, would love to know how substantial the rewrites are since Chicago.

One other big creative team change:

The music supervisor, arranger, and orchestrator is now Tom Deering (who had similar roles on Standing at the Sky's Edge and Tammy Faye). Previously, Elton's collaborator Giles Martin was the orchestrator (who is now just the Music Producer) and the Music Sup was Nadia DiGiallonardo.

WindyNewYorker
#115THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 10:10pm

Can anyone share what was the orchestration for the Chicago production? Interesting to learn what is changed when the UK production is up. Thank you.

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#116THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 11:02pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I, too, would love to know how substantial the rewrites are since Chicago.

One other big creative team change:

The music supervisor, arranger, and orchestrator is now Tom Deering (who had similar roles onStanding at the Sky's Edgeand Tammy Faye). Previously, Elton's collaboratorGiles Martin was the orchestrator (who is now just theMusic Producer) and the Music Sup was Nadia DiGiallonardo.
"

Tom Deering's work on Tammy Faye is excellent. I assume Broadway will have a much bigger orchestra than it did at the Almeida and look forward to seeing it. Giles Martin ( son of the famous 'fith Beatle' George Martin ) is still doing the orchestrations I believe, and produced the promo CD of the Chicago production.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#117THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 11:07pm

TBFL said: "Tom Deering's work on Tammy Faye is excellent. I assume Broadway will have a much bigger orchestra than it did at the Almeida and look forward to seeing it. Giles Martin ( son of the famous 'fith Beatle' George Martin ) is still doing the orchestrations I believe, and produced the promo CD of the Chicago production."

If Giles Martin is orchestrating or co-orchestrating DEVIL, he is no longer credited as such. Tom Deering is the credited orchestrator/music supervisor/arranger on the website and was not involved with the Chicago production.

Updated On: 6/4/24 at 11:07 PM

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#118THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/4/24 at 11:16pm

Then i take it back. My apologies. I was under the impression he was still in that role.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#120THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/7/24 at 9:30pm

Has it been confirmed we’ll be seeing new set design/costumes/etc? I’m assuming so but was just curious. Excited to see what it looks like.

Though, the folding Eiffel tower in Chicago was a super cool idea and an awesome transition in the moment.

BrodyFosse123
#121THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/7/24 at 10:44pm

DiscoCrows said: "Has it been confirmed we’ll be seeing new set design/costumes/etc? I’m assuming so but was just curious. Excited to see what it looks like.

Though, the folding Eiffel tower in Chicago was a super cool idea and an awesome transition in the moment.
"

It’s an entirely new creative team so yes, everything will be different for this London production. Same writer is credited but it’s safe to assume she’s starting from zero and ignoring the Chicago book for this new London incarnation. 

MadAboutTheBoy Profile Photo
MadAboutTheBoy
#122THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/8/24 at 10:13am

Please forgive me if this has already been answered, but will the West End production feature the same songs, new songs, or reorchestrations of the same songs? Something else?

BrodyFosse123
#123THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/8/24 at 10:44am

MadAboutTheBoy said: "Please forgive me if this has already been answered, but will the West End production feature the same songs, new songs, or reorchestrations of the same songs? Something else?"

All of the above. Chicago was their testing ground of the material. It obviously wasn’t a good fit on all levels from casting to creative team hence why the producers still have faith in their show and replaced everyone and decided to treat it more ambitiously. Next month we’ll learn what songs were kept and how they chose to use them and the new material. Expect this new production to be more faithful to the acclaimed 2006 film. The Chicago production tried hard to be its own thing and we saw how that went. 

BrodyFosse123

Videos