News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024- Page 6

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024

RW3
#125THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 6/24/24 at 7:14am

Personally, I will start to have more faith in this production once there is proof that both Shaina and Elton are in Plymouth. 

starlightlocamotion
#126THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/6/24 at 12:19am

First Preview is today ... anxious to hear reports on changes made from the Chicago Production as this is almost (if not entirely) a new creative team minus Elton John. Fingers Crossed!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#127THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/6/24 at 12:36am

starlightlocamotion said: "First Preview is today ... anxious to hear reports on changes made from the Chicago Production as this is almost (if not entirely) a new creative team minus Elton John. Fingers Crossed!"

It is an entirely new team aside from the three credited authors and the lead producer.

Will that be enough? We'll see!

Interested to hear reports, especially from those who saw both.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#129THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/6/24 at 4:25am

Not lots to go off of here but this looks neat for what it is.

I like that they kept the dark/foggy impending vibe off the bat. That was one of my favorite things about Chicago, loved how the show opened with the ominous heel clicking and rigid/dark visuals at the top of the show.

Simultaneously I think the show had a very obvious identity crisis in Chicago, so maybe this in-your-face show “curtain” with the glowing title plastered on top is indicative of them embracing a bit more of a not exceedingly groundbreaking but FUN and ENTERTAINING movie-to-musical adaptation. I think if the show can be successful at being a cohesive copy/paste into a new medium (wherein Chicago lacked said cohesion) it will be a better show. I hope this is a sign they’re okay with that and owning it.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#131THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 1:19am

Looks like our first real peek into some of the new designs. Curtain call, I believe.THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024

RW3
#132THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 11:32am

Song list from Theatreboard

Act one

I mean business
House of Miranda
I mean business - reprise
I only love you for your body
How to survive at Runway
How to survive at Runway - reprise
Girl for the job
In or out - part one
How to survive at Runway - reprise two
Dress your way up
In or out - part two
How to survive at Runway - reprise three
The devil wears prada
Miranda girl

Act two

Entr'acte
Bon Voyage
The Old You
Paris, city of dreams
Who's she?
Seen
Your Twenties
Stay on top
Seen - reprise
What's right for me
Finale

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 11:32 AM

starlightlocamotion
#133THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 11:52am

Reports are strong out of first preview ... with a bit of criticism of Vanessa Williams in the role. But Everything I have read is very complimentary of the work done to the score since Chicago.

starlightlocamotion
#134THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 11:56am

Though I will say ... from that Bows image the fashion looks a bit ... Prom Dress Store? Perhaps it's a bit in the show about all the bad fashion they reject before getting to the good looks that Miranda approves of? 

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#135THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 3:26pm

RW3 said: "Song list from Theatreboard

Act one

I mean business
House of Miranda
I mean business - reprise
I only love you for your body
How to survive at Runway
How to survive at Runway - reprise
Girl for the job
In or out - part one
How to survive at Runway - reprise two
Dress your way up
In or out - part two
How to survive at Runway - reprise three
The devil wears prada
Miranda girl

Act two

Entr'acte
Bon Voyage
The Old You
Paris, city of dreams
Who's she?
Seen
Your Twenties
Stay on top
Seen - reprise
What's right for me
Finale
"

Well, it looks like the score wasn't completely overhauled. Many of those songs were in the Chicago production. I count at least 10 carryovers and about 7 titles I don't recognize. I thought some of the songs they've kept were real duds in Chicago (like Your Twenties). Maybe the songs have been reworked under the same titles. I'll be heading over to Plymouth next month to compare...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#136THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 3:46pm

This was terrible in Chicago. Disheartened to see that they've kept so many of the same songs. Some songs were fine (Dress Your Way Up, Who's She, and the title song were all fun), but others (Bon Voyage, I Miss the Old You, and In Your Twenties) were baffling bad. Hopefully they've been heavily reworked... I do think that there IS a good musical in the story of The Devil Wears Prada, but it seems like creative teams might be having a hard time mining it out. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RW3
#137THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 4:56pm

bwayphreak234 said: "This was terrible in Chicago. Disheartened to see that they've kept so many of the same songs. Some songs were fine (Dress Your Way Up, Who's She, and the title song were all fun), but others (Bon Voyage, I Miss the Old You, and In Your Twenties) were baffling bad.Hopefully they've been heavily reworked... I do think that there IS a good musical in the story of The Devil Wears Prada, but it seems like creative teams might be having a hard time mining it out."

It also doesn’t help that their lyricist is in a different country doing a completely different show. It is crazy to me that her and Elton essentially have swapped positions for this production so far. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#138THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 5:41pm

That curtain call looks pretty raggedy!  

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#139THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/7/24 at 5:43pm

Menken Fan said: "Well, it looks like the score wasn't completely overhauled. Many of those songs were in the Chicago production. I count at least 10 carryovers and about 7 titles I don't recognize."

I don't think anyone really expected a FULL overhaul of the score, right? Replacing more than 1/3 of the songs is still a sizable change, not to mention probable changes within some of the songs + a new orchestrator/arranger. Sometimes changes in arrangement, staging, lyrics, and the book surrounding it can help a song land better too. How much has the book changed since Chicago?

Did anyone do ghostwriting on the book or lyrics post-Chicago, or are Kate Wetherhead and Shaina Taub the sole wordsmiths? (I know they are credited as such but sometimes credits do not reflect reality.)

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 05:43 PM

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#140THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 6:29am

I'm eager to hear how they've written Miranda. And which of the new songs are for her. Andy's abusive relationship with Miranda needs to be the heart of the show. In Chicago Miranda took a back seat to Andy's love interests and her tedious hipster friends. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

imelda_stanchion
#141THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 1:46pm

They have brought on Mark Sonnenblick for "additional lyrics" as Shaina can't be physically present for the obvious reasons. Many of the songs that have the same titles have been thoroughly ripped apart and put back together. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#142THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 2:31pm

imelda_stanchion said: "They have brought on Mark Sonnenblick for "additionallyrics" as Shaina can't be physically present for the obvious reasons. Many ofthe songs that have the same titles have been thoroughly ripped apart and put back together."

Interesting! Stylistically he might be a better fit for this world than Shaina.

Is Mark credited in the program for the show or is this a scoop?

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#143THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 2:35pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "I'm eager to hear how they've written Miranda. And which of the new songs are for her. Andy's abusive relationship with Miranda needs to be the heart of the show. In Chicago Miranda took a back seat to Andy's love interests and her tedious hipster friends."

Completely agree.

The shows Twitter tweeted this the other day: "Controversial opinion... the real villain of the story is the boyfriend holding Andy back."

Huh???

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 02:35 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#144THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 2:39pm

Andy's boyfriend and friends have long been considered the worst part of the movie, even back when it came out (god, that scene where Andy gives them luxury gifts and then they play keep away with her ringing cell phone and she is presented as the one in the wrong!). It's wild that was not one of the very first things to be adjusted when this was made into a musical. The dynamic at Runway is dramatic and compelling enough without them.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#145THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 2:46pm

Truer words, Kad. Even adorable, doughy Rich Sommer as the (vaguely?) queer-coded friend couldn't do a thing to help that axis of evil. I give you a Bang & Olufsen phone and you try to get me fired with your cute games and I will burn you as a witch. 

imelda_stanchion
#146THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 2:48pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "imelda_stanchion said: "They have brought on Mark Sonnenblick for "additionallyrics" as Shaina can't be physically present for the obvious reasons. Many ofthe songs that have the same titles have been thoroughly ripped apart and put back together."

Interesting! Stylistically he might be a better fit for this world than Shaina.

Is Mark credited in the program for the show or is this a scoop?
"

He is credited. I've heard he's doing a lot

imelda_stanchion
#147THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 2:52pm

Kad said: "Andy's boyfriend and friends have long been considered the worst part of the movie,even back when it came out (god, that scene where Andy gives them luxury gifts and then they play keep away with her ringing cell phone and she is presented as the one in the wrong!). It's wild that was not one of the very first things to be adjusted when this was made into a musical. The dynamic at Runway is dramatic and compelling enough without them."

I've heard the friends have been cut entirely. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#149THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 8:14pm

DiscoCrows said: "MrsSallyAdams said: "I'm eager to hear how they've written Miranda. And which of the new songs are for her. Andy's abusive relationship with Miranda needs to be the heart of the show. In Chicago Miranda took a back seat to Andy's love interests and her tedious hipster friends."

Completely agree.

The shows Twitter tweeted this the other day: "Controversial opinion... the real villain of the story is the boyfriend holding Andy back."

Huh???
"

Nate being the real villain of the movie is a take that's been around for years:

https://www.glamour.com/story/devil-wears-prada-star-adrian-grenier-admits-nate-was-the-true-villain-of-the-movie

Videos