News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024- Page 7

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#150THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 8:28pm

TaffyDavenport said: "DiscoCrows said: "MrsSallyAdams said: "I'm eager to hear how they've written Miranda. And which of the new songs are for her. Andy's abusive relationship with Miranda needs to be the heart of the show. In Chicago Miranda took a back seat to Andy's love interests and her tedious hipster friends."

Completely agree.

The shows Twitter tweeted this the other day: "Controversial opinion... the real villain of the story is the boyfriend holding Andy back."

Huh???
"

Nate being the real villain of the movie is a take that's been around for years:

https://www.glamour.com/story/devil-wears-prada-star-adrian-grenier-admits-nate-was-the-true-villain-of-the-movie

"

Oh DMGW I get it. It was just funny seeing the show spell it out like it’s some crazy unorthodox take and that the character isn’t already reasonably despised by people. Musical and movie alike.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#151THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/8/24 at 9:01pm

I certainly think that depicting the toll on Andy's personal life is a good thing- anybody who's had a demanding job knows that juggling your personal and professional life is rough- but in the film, Nate just comes off as a prick. Rewriting him to be more supportive until there's a real breaking point would be helpful. The movie weirdly takes for granted we'd feel for Andy in this instance and draws the parallel between her personal life and Miranda's. But it only really works if we think Andy is losing something very important.

(and also- for a character who is supposedly so invested in work/life balance, having him be a chef is certainly weird!)

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/8/24 at 09:01 PM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#152THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:41am

Williams was just on Good Morning America talking about the show. She said that dialogue is used directly from the movie and that it’s a perfect movie. I honestly feel like both of those things aren’t great to say. People will go in thinking there’s nothing new and it’s a replica of something that’s already perfect, so why bother? Small Clip of the Interview

At the end, they said it starts this weekend in Plymouth before the West End and then hopefully Broadway.

Updated On: 7/9/24 at 08:41 AM

TennisFan4lyfe
#153THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/9/24 at 3:08pm

Please keep your ear to the ground re: TDWP's UK reception.  

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#154THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 7/10/24 at 5:46pm

I’m relistening to Seen and my heart is bursting. This score and lyricism was at large, a complete trainwreck in Chicago (albeit a mostly entertaining one) — but Seen is such an outlier. The song is just so emotionally charged and sweeping with character development. Shaina’s lyrics fit the melody so perfectly and it hits on this perfect intersection of blissful/bittersweet and comedy that shines so much light on why Nigel has poured himself entirely into being a part of this company but still knows he needs to keep his guard up to protect himself

”And he feels seen, suddenly seen. He can learn from this magazine, that being a queer kid isn’t a crime — infact, it’s pretty f*cking sublime.” I adore this. And Javier Munoz’s delivery was great.

While 99% of the show feels like it was not doing so, I think Nigel’s character at large (pretty much entirely via this song) is the one thing the musical had going for it in terms of elevating the original material to be more successful through a new artistic medium.

Videos