News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour - Page 2

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour

Alexander Lamar
#25The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 4:34pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "If only she wasnt going to be on a world tour at the exact same time. Lizzo would kill that role"

She’s going back out next fall? I need to get tickets!

Really excited to see that Jaquel Knight is choreographing. 

Updated On: 12/1/22 at 04:34 PM

jimmycurry01
#26The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 5:25pm

The casting suggestions here are hilarious. It's a tour with a final stop on Broadway, much like the last revival of Jekyll & Hyde. None of these names are going out on a tour of The Wiz, even with a final stop in a Broadway house.

bk
#27The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 5:28pm

CarlosAlberto said: "My inner child is happy as well. I am really looking forward to this. I saw the short lived 1984 revival and really came to love this show more than its misguided 1978 film adaptation. Contrary to what the BWW article announcing this engagement would have you believe, the original 1975 production was not an overnight sensation. It struggled, and it was almost closed a week after it opened."

This is correct. In fact, they'd posted their closing notice. I saw it a few nights prior to its scheduled closing - Angela Lansbury was there, too. They did a TV commercial and that turned things around. 

Alexander Lamar
#28The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 5:31pm

Isn’t the purpose of dream casting to throw out names that will likely never be in a show but would be your ideal cast….in your dreams?

jimmycurry01
#29The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 5:44pm

Alexander Lamar said: "Isn’t the purpose of dream casting to throw out names that will likely never be in a show but would be your ideal cast….in your dreams?"

Sure, but maybe keep the dreams realistic and within the parameters of what the production apparently is. Why not dream cast with people who actually do touring productions and might get a starring turn on Broadway when the tour ends there?

I guess I never understood the whole dream casting thing to begin with, especially when it gets so hilariously outlandish. Billy Porter? Lizzo? Come on, it's a tour with a stop on Broadway.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#30The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 5:57pm

Please let this happen.

Please let it be good (the NBC Live version wasn't--return to the original script, please).

Please let there be a cast recording.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#31The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:02pm

Keep in mind the tour cast and Broadway cast might not be identical. Maybe there’s some crossover, maybe not.

This is a good way to capitalize a revival when so few have made money recently. The big question is how long is the limited engagement — 6 months? One year? — and are they scheduling tour stops immediately following Broadway or leaving a buffer in the chance that it’s a hit? We shall see…

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:05pm

My first thought was how I’d love to see Hailey Kilgore. 

But since people are throwing out crazy suggestions - Latoya Jackson as the Scarecrow - y’know, as a tribute. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#33The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:52pm

Another crazy suggestion: how about some diversity in the casting? cheeky

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#34The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 7:13pm

Tag said: "Another crazy suggestion: how about some diversity in the casting?cheeky"

Why? It's a celebration of Black identity.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#35The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/1/22 at 8:07pm

Truly exciting news.  Saw the production that Des McAnuff directed at La Jolla Playhouse back in 2006 ( I was an infant, I kid, I kid). Nothing would spark more joy than seeing a high caliber production of this beloved show.   I remember not being super into the NBC Live take a few years back for a whole host of reasons - but this - a new production is certainly welcome

silent
#36The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 10:00am

I’m here for Tichina Arnold as Evilene for the Broadway transfer! 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#37The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 10:18am

What’s Shanice Williams up to? I wonder if she would consider reprising Dorothy. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

NativeNYer2
#38The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 10:31am

I know it can't happen because of the TV show, but Quinta Brunson as Dorothy?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#39The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 10:51am

I have a feeling they are going to cast an older "legend"-like name in the role of Glinda the way they did in the film with Lena Horne...perhaps Stephanie Mills?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#40The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 11:50am

fashionguru_23 said: "I have a feeling they are going to cast an older "legend"-like name in the role of Glinda the way they did in the film with Lena Horne...perhaps Stephanie Mills?"

You could sort of say they always did this. Dee Dee Bridgewater was a well-respected (if not giantly famous) jazz singer when she originated the role, and the fact that she has like three lines of dialogue and two songs at essentially the very end of the show yet copped a Tony for her performance probably suggests her reputation pre-Wiz helped secure her win (I am not at all saying she didn't deserve it). 

I love the idea of Stephanie Mills playing the role. I loved the idea of her playing Aunt Em on t.v. They just screwed it up, as everything about that production was screwed up. 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#41The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 11:58am

NativeNYer2 said: "I know it can't happen because of the TV show, but Quinta Brunson as Dorothy?"

...does she sing? 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#42The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 11:59am

jimmycurry01 said: "The casting suggestions here are hilarious. It's a tour with a final stop on Broadway, much like the last revival of Jekyll & Hyde. None of these names are going out on a tour of The Wiz, even with a final stop in a Broadway house."

That's why it's called a dream casting, sis. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#43The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 12:07pm

The Jekyll & Hyde reference in this thread made me think that Deborah Cox might work somehow in this.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#44The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 12:21pm

Quinta Brunson Is also, uh, way too old for Dorothy.

Ke3
#45The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 12:23pm

Quinta is 32. Diana's performance in The Wiz has become iconic in the Black community, but that doesn't mean it was the right casting decision then nor would an "older" actress be right now. 

To Tag's point, Deborah Cox could be a fun Evilene or Glinda. Whitney Houston would've been lovely as either but alas. Grace Jones did a strange two week run in some West Coast production in the 90s. If they could get her again I'd go even if they staged it with shadow puppets.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#46The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 12:32pm

silent said: "I’m here for Tichina Arnold as Evilene for the Broadway transfer!"

Tichina Arnold would EAT. IT. UP! Great choice! 

CarlosAlberto
#47The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 12:36pm

Ke3 said: "Quinta is 32. Diana's performance in The Wiz has become iconic in the Black community, but that doesn't mean it was the right casting decision then nor would an "older" actress be right now.

To Tag's point, Deborah Cox could be a funEvilene or Glinda. Whitney Houston would've been lovely as either but alas. Grace Jones did a strange two week run in some West Coast production in the 90s. If they could get her again I'd go even if they staged it with shadow puppets.
"

Okay, let's get one thing straight: "Dorothy" in the stage version of "The Wiz" is a YOUNG GIRL as she was in Baum's original story not some insecure 24 year old kindergarten teacher.

Ke3
#48The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 1:44pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Ke3 said: "Quinta is 32. Diana's performance in The Wiz has become iconic in the Black community, but that doesn't mean it was the right casting decision then nor would an "older" actress be right now.

To Tag's point, Deborah Cox could be a funEvilene or Glinda. Whitney Houston would've been lovely as either but alas. Grace Jones did a strange two week run in some West Coast production in the 90s. If they could get her again I'd go even if they staged it with shadow puppets.
"

Okay, let's get one thing straight: "Dorothy" in the stage version of "The Wiz" is a YOUNG GIRL as she was in Baum's original story not some insecure 24 year old kindergarten teacher.
"

I'm aware. That's why I said it wasn't the right casting decision then or now.

CarlosAlberto
#49The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 1:51pm

Ke3 said: "I'm aware. That's why I said it wasn't the right casting decision then or now."

Oh I know. That was meant for the board member who suggested Quinta Brunson.

Videos