News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5- Page 2

The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5

poochie4
#25re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 12:58pm

Having seen 9 to 5 and only read about Billy, I predict that Billy will win. It seems to have the most hype around it and I have read nothing but great things. 9 to 5 got a mixed reception in LA, I loved it but many people I know felt it fell flat. We'll see.

I am curious if all three actresses will be considered in the Leading actress category. If they are, I feel it would kill the chances of any of them winning. Megan Hilty is phenomenal, but I don't see her taking a LEADING actress prize for the role.

poochie4
#26re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 1:04pm

I don't think TBD2 is explaining it correctly. Original refers to it being the first time it played on Broadway. As in Billy Elliot is an original musical (just debuted this season), while West Side Story is a revival, because it's played on Broadway previously. I was confused about this too when I first got into Broadway and Thoroughly Modern Millie won Best Original Musical. I thought, but it's already a movie that's not original. I had to have someone explain it to me. It has nothing to do with originality of the story. West Side Story would be considered a revival even if they did it with no set, all in Spanish and Italian, and made the score into a punk rock style. Not that they ever should. Hope this clears up the confusion.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#27re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 1:24pm

AndAllThatJazz, I'm totally confused. I said N2N is the best rock musical since RENT. Not including RENT. "Since" implies that RENT was better and since it premiered, N2N has been the next best rock musical to come along.

I really have to say though that I may like N2N better than RENT. Just maybe. And I can say in 100% confidence that RENT is not a masterpiece.

AndAllThatJazz22
#28re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 4:02pm

rOcKS

Well, in my opinion, I don't think N2N is the best rock musical since rent, that's what I meant to say. I don't think there has been a rock musical at the level of rent yet since rent's opening.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 3/16/09 at 04:02 PM

musicalbluemirror Profile Photo
musicalbluemirror
#29re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 5:51pm

between the 3, im gunna predict:

BOOK: Billy Elliot
DIRECTION: Billy Elliot
CHOREO: WSS
ORCH: Billy ELliot
SET: 9 to 5
SCORE: 9 to 5
COSTUME: 9 to 5
LIGHTING: 9 to 5
SOUND: Billy Elliot
&
BEST MUSICAL: Billy Elliot

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 6:06pm

This Next to Normal conversation is interesting. I do think Rent is something of a masterpiece AND I think Next to Normal is the best rock musical I've heard since Rent premiered. But it's not saying much since I think most rock musicals since Rent have been either awful (such as Spring Awakening) or too similar in style (such as Bare).

I could argue Tanz der Vampire (the German production), but I don't consider it a rock musical. More of a pop musical, I guess.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Broadwaylover26 Profile Photo
Broadwaylover26
#31re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 6:26pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to listen to the Next to Normal or 9 to 5 soundtracks? Since neither of them have opened yet, I can't judge their music!

roland
#32re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:07pm

Well, in my opinion:

direction: Billy Elliot
Choreo: WSH / Billy ELliot
Score : Billy Elliot
Lighting: billy Elliot
Best Musical: for sure Billy Elliot!!!!!

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#33re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:18pm

Jerome Robbins already won a Tony for West Side Story's choreography . . . over 50 years ago. He can't win it again.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#34re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:20pm

If Billy Elliot wins best score then that's ridiculous. I love BE but 9 to 5 obviously has a much better score.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

WiCkEDrOcKS
#35re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:31pm

NEXT TO NORMAL deserves to pose a huge threat in the score category. It's the best new score of the year.

BILLY should win book.

9 TO 5 should win Musical.

Just my thoughts.

Mattt Profile Photo
Mattt
#36re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:43pm

I don't think N2N should be completely neglected for Best Musical. Aren't the Tony Awards supposed to recognize the creativity and development of American theater? With Billy Elliot as a British crossover and 9 to 5 being inspired by a major motion picture, I think that Next to Normal has a great chance of winning Best Musical. I feel as if N2N exhibits all of the qualities necessary to recieve great awards because of its originality and its impact on American theater. Wasn't there a quote somewhere from a review saying something like, "This is a show for anyone who cares about the future of the American musical" or something like that. I totally agree with that statement.

If not Best Musical, N2N without a doubt deserves best score in my opinion.

Georganne
#37re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:51pm

Haven't seen West Side Story yet but, unfortunately, spent $126.50 x 3 for tickets to Billy Elliott. Thought it was just about the worst musical I've ever seen and haven't yet figured out what all the hype is about. Kind of compare it to The Producers which has thankfully closed. Have seen much better off-broadway.
Broadway needs the revivals because what is showing up there in the last few years is truly pathetic! Again, Jersey Boys, a play with some music throw in. Truly pathetic!!
Updated On: 3/16/09 at 07:51 PM

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#38re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 8:10pm

With the many revivals and few new musicals, Next to Normal possibly will be nominated for Best Musical, will it win? no.

While the score to Billy Elliot may not be memorable. It is very suitable for the plot. It is delivered with nothing over the top but just enough to please the eye.

Having not seeing 9 to 5...yet! From what I see from the videos and sound clips, it has a whipped cream topping w/ a cherry on top, too it. Does it make it Fluff or just enough?

Too early to call, but the ballerina boy might win, OR the working girls will have the last laugh.

I am going to see 9 to 5 in April and revisit BE and I then I can truly give my 2 cents.

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#39re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 8:14pm

I'm sure Billy Elliot will win Best Musical, but I'd honestly rather see Next to Normal or [title of show] beat both of them out.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#40re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 8:37pm

NEXT TO NORMAL is a shoo-in for a Best Musical nomination IMO.

I think it'll be BILLY ELLIOT, 9 TO 5, NEXT TO NORMAL and SHREK.

ROCK OF AGES could steal SHREK's spot but the first three are locks for nominations I think. BILLY got raves, 9 TO 5 should get positive reviews as should N2N considering it got fair to positive reviews at 2ST and is much, much better now.

I could see ROCK OF AGES getting the same level reviews as SHREK but then again I shouldn't judge because I haven't seen ROA yet (I'm going on Thursday) so it's just a shot in the dark.

Ripley, the three Billys, Olivo, and either Jbara or Sieber will take the acting awards at this point, I think.

This is a really interesting Tony year...and it started out so slowly. I think there are going to be quite a few surprises on June 7th.

AndAllThatJazz22
#41re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 8:58pm

I'm not sure N2N will even qualify for a Tony award. After the epic failure of SOML, I can't guarentee that N2N will last much longer. The economy is eating up smaller shows, and with the lack of time for N2N to make hype among the general public, there's a very good chance that it'll be another 5 peroformance show.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
Updated On: 3/16/09 at 08:58 PM

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#42re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:07pm

Much More than 5 shows for N2N. It will be a slow start up, but it garnished great reviews not even a full year ago. With the recording available around the opening of it will also be a much better place than SOML was. My prediction is it will last AT least till the summer, if not later.

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall
Updated On: 3/16/09 at 09:07 PM

AndAllThatJazz22
#43re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:09pm

Really, a next to normal soundtrack? Nobody informed me about the N2N movie.

Geor Profile Photo
Geor
#44re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:13pm

Wish someone could explain all the hype about Billy Elliott to me! In my opinion, it's a loser. May have made some sense on the West End but don't see how it cuts it here. And some dancing would have been nice since it was about a young boy who wants to be a dancer.
HUGE waste of money in my opinion. Could have bought several more watches at Swatch with the money I spent on three tickets.

AndAllThatJazz22
#45re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:18pm

One thing that seems to make me question of '9 to 5' winning is its mixed reviews in LA. It all depends on how the critics receive it in New York.

Bway3 Profile Photo
Bway3
#46re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:23pm

Billy has choreography in the bag.

Broadwaylover26 Profile Photo
Broadwaylover26
#47re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:34pm

Why is the discussion only between Billy Elliot and 9 to 5? With Shrek's great reviews and stellar cast, why doesn't anyone think that it could be a serious contender for best musical?

AndAllThatJazz22
#48re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:35pm

^ LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Great Reviews!!!! TELL ANOTHER ONE BROADWAYLOVER26

Bway3 Profile Photo
Bway3
#49re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:43pm

Shrek got mixed to negative reviews.

Videos