News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5- Page 3

The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#50re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:49pm

WickedRocks - you think way too highly of both NEXT TO NORMAL and ROCK OF AGES.

Sad.

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#51re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 9:59pm

Next to Normal isn't even in the same class as Billy Elliot. (And yes - I've seen the 'new and improved' DC version). The book, the depth of the characters, the choreography, the SCORE, the incredible quality of performances from all members of the cast, make everything about Billy Elliot deserving of many wins.

I've not seen 9 to 5 but what I've read combined with the mixed reviews from the left coast tell me that it might be good and it might be fun, but it's not the BEST musical this year.

Meow!

Georganne
#52re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 10:03pm

You are kidding, right? About the choreography?

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#53re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 10:15pm

BE deserves the choreography award for "Solidarity" alone. Add in all the other incredible numbers and believe me, I'm not kidding at all. It's deserving on its own. Throw it up against every other show I've seen this year and it still stands above the rest.

Meow!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#54re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/16/09 at 11:28pm

I like BILLY better than N2N but I would rather listen to N2N's score on a loop than BILLY's any day. I love them both but the two things about N2N that are really award-worthy are Ripley and the score.

And I don't know how I "think too highly" of ROCK OF AGES when I haven't seen it yet...

We'll see how I like it (or dislike it) come Thursday.

And N2N will NOT be the next STORY OF MY LIFE. David Stone is producing it. It won't go down without a fight. And plus it's infinitely better than quick-to-close flops like GLORY DAYS and STORY so once the reviews come in I'm sure it will ignite some interest in the show.

Amaranth9 Profile Photo
Amaranth9
#55re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 12:42am

Tom's Cat, I have not seen Billy Elliot and will not be able to by the time the Tonys roll around, but perhaps you will have the chance to see 9 to 5. From what I have seen of Billy Elliot the choreography does look wonderful, but it is very repetitive. I wonder if part of the amazement comes from the fact that much of it is done by a child. I would still love to see it.

I just wouldn't rule out the choreography in 9 to 5 yet. It fits perfectly with the characters and the story's office and time period setting. It incorporates office supplies and furniture, even moving as the sets transition, which is another marvel on its own. It also changes styles throughout, most noticeably in the fantasy sequence.

Either way, we have two strong competitors and I'm not sure at this point what would make Billy Elliot a shoe-in besides politics about Andy Blankenbuehler winning again. But as I said, I have not seen BE...

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#56re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 5:58am

I'll hold off judging "9 to 5" until I've seen it and you do the same for Billy Elliot. "Solidarity" certainly has children in it but they're only a third of the whole. That's the greatness of it - the weaving of the adults, (miners, riot police) with the children, to express what life was like for these townspeople every day. It's incredible and nothing remotely repetitive. I'm hoping they do this (or at least a version of this) at the Tonys.

Meow!

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#57re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 6:53am

Well if this means anything 9 to 5 just won the LA Critics Award for both Score and Choreography so it looks like it do well it those areas, can't say more until I see it on May 23rd

roland
#58re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 8:17am

Amaranth9, BE is a fabulous show and would highly recommend anyone to see it.
The choreography is amazing, try and catch David A or Kiril....
I totally fell in love with BE!!!!!!!!

broadwaybaby77 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby77
#59re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 8:55am

I've only seen Billy Elliot so far, both here and in London, and even when I saw it overseas, I've felt that it would take the Tony. IMO, it has all of the elements that make up a truly great musical.

In reference to what people have said about BE's score, I think that the music is true to the show and the show's setting and style. The music is not something I would normally listen to outside of seeing the show, and so it makes sense to me that just listening to the recording on its own doesn't really cut it. I think that that's a good sign that the show is well-integrated; in such a show where our lives are such a far departure from the ones we're watching, this music shouldn't sound as easy on our ears as, say, Spring Awakening.

All that being said, I haven't seen 9 to 5 and I hope to see it before June 7th! It seems like a fun show, definitely a lock for a nomination, but I'm not sure quite yet if it'll take it.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#60re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 9:09am

The score to BE is the worst part about it. You really think it is "well-integrated" ?

Your personal tastes are effecting your critical and artistic judgement on the score. The score is terrible.

broadwaybaby77 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby77
#61re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 9:14am

I never said it was the best score ever written. It's definitely not my favorite aspect of the show. I think it's better than people are giving it credit for, and I was sharing why I feel that way. No need to get all snippy about it...

#62re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 9:49am

Score: 9 to 5 (that way you honor Dolly's work)
Book: Billy
Actress: 9 to 5
Actor: Billy
Set: 9 to 5
Choreo: Billy

Musical: Billy

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#63re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 11:21am

With categories like: best play, Featured Actor Musical, most of the Play acting slots, I think it will be a year when we won't be able to predict every winner before the Tonys.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

PiraguaGuy2
#64re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 11:35am

Featured Actor is all but locked for Sieber.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Fosse76
#65re: The new West Side Story: Billy Elliot vs. 9 to 5
Posted: 3/17/09 at 11:59am

"Wish someone could explain all the hype about Billy Elliott to me! In my opinion, it's a loser. May have made some sense on the West End but don't see how it cuts it here. And some dancing would have been nice since it was about a young boy who wants to be a dancer."

What are you talking about? Billy has two dance duets and two dance solos. Not to mention the finale and his dance "training" scenes. And what do you mean it doesn't make sense here? I understood every plot point perfectly.

Videos