News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions- Page 2

WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions

KevinKlawitter
#25WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 11:59am

betyourass said: "I can't imagine K Pop lasting past January.....So many musicals are opening this season."

Honestly,  can see KPOP being the hit of the season if it manages to capture even a fraction of the energy of the phenomenon (admittedly, it's one I'm not personally familiar with).

KevinKlawitter
#26WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 12:18pm

Another thing to keep an eye on are other possible transfers of shows from London. The Redmayne/Buckley revival of Cabaret is all but confirmed to be transferring to Broadway, and shows where transfers to Broadway haven't been publicly discussed but would make sense include Straight Line CrazyCockLife of Pi, Back to the Future, and The 47th.

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#27WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 12:33pm

I already have some ideas based on whose rumored to appear this season, but based only on who we officially know will be, my shot in the dark acting predix would be:

Play Actor: Wendell Pierce - Death of a Salesman

Play Actress: Jodie Comer - Prima Facie

Play Featured Actor: Samuel L. Jackson - The Piano Lesson

Play Featured Actress: Sharon D. Clarke - Death of a Salesman

Musical Actor: Will Swenson - A Beautiful Noise

Musical Actress: Victoria Clarke - Kimberly Akimbo

Musical Featured Actor: Paulo Szot - & Juliet (unsure of Justin Cooley’s placement, if featured, maybe him then)

Musical Featured Actress: Bonnie Milligan - Kimberly Akimbo

KevinKlawitter
#28WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 12:43pm

In terms of the musical acting races, we should keep an eye on the revivals. Into the Woods will have long since closed, but it could easily garner a few nominations for Actress and/or Featured Actress. I'm really curious about the revival of Camelot, assuming Aaron Sorkin's new book isn't a disaster (maybe a 35-40% of that happening?) that will get contenders for the actors playing Arthur Guinevere, and Lancelot. And if Cabaret does indeed transfer, Eddie Redmayne could be the prohibitive frontrunner for Best Actor in a Musical.

#29WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 12:48pm

I think Bareilles and Creel will be nominated, and possibly others. It may depend on if the rumor of the production being filmed happens, which would help keep them in mind long after closing.

KevinKlawitter
#30WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 12:51pm

And while my head tells to never bet against the bio-musical, my heart is wondering if anybody actually cares about Neil Diamond as a theatre character. No disrespect for the man's music, but he's no Michael Jackson.

Andres_Zayas Profile Photo
Andres_Zayas
#31WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 4:35pm

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "I’m sure Leavel is campaigned as a lead like Streep was for the film"

That could be similar to The Prom where Beth Leavel and Caitlin Kinnunen were nominated together in Lead, but mainly if Taylor Iman Jones also has a shot at getting nominated.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#32WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 5:20pm

betyourass said: "I can't imagine K Pop lasting past January.....So many musicals are opening this season."

Based on the songs I’ve heard, the story, and the fan base I think K-POP could easily be the next Beetlejuice or Six. I think the BIG issue is that no one (in the general public) knows what it’s about. There are HUNDREDS of comments on their socials that can be divided into 3 categories. 1) people who saw it off-broadway and can’t wait to see it again. 2) people who have never seen it and think ACTUAL K-pop groups are in it. So many comments saying “is BlackPink in it?” “Please include BTS!”  3) people being (hate to say it) “woke” and saying things like “this is white people appropriating something they know nothing about “

The last 2 reasons are why I stay off of Facebook. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 5:45pm

Andres_Zayas said: "ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "I’m sure Leavel is campaigned as a lead like Streep was for the film"

That could be similar to The Prom where Beth Leavel and Caitlin Kinnunen were nominated together in Lead, but mainly if Taylor Iman Jones also has a shot at getting nominated.
"

If Taylor Iman Jones gets a big 11 o'clock number, she has a chance. Her voice is ridiculous.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

#34WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 5:51pm

I’m sure that Prada will be similar to The Prom in that Leavel has a juicier role than the protagonist’s actress and will be the stronger contender. Based on the announced and rumored competition, I think just Leavel gets nominated.

Updated On: 6/15/22 at 05:51 PM

lopside
#35WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 6:10pm

KevinKlawitter said: "Another thing to keep an eye on are other possible transfers of shows from London. The Redmayne/Buckley revival ofCabaretis all but confirmed to be transferring to Broadway, and shows where transfers to Broadway haven't been publicly discussed but would make sense includeStraight Line Crazy,Cock,Life of Pi, Back to the Future,andThe 47th."

Back to the Future producers confirmed a Broadway transfer for next year, backstage at the Oliviers. Probably will land for the 2024 award season though. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#36WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 11:14pm

Ariana DeBose for SWEET CHARITY. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#37WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/15/22 at 11:59pm

Is Ariana DeBose confirmed for Sweet Charity? I love DeBose and want her back on Broadway...but there was an even more exciting choice lined up if only the Coleman estate would get their heads out of their rear ends and let the director do what she wants with casting.

#38WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/16/22 at 12:06am

That’s just a reference to a thread saying she should star in a production.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#39WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/16/22 at 12:10am

Ah thank you. I hadn't seen that thread. 

In that case I'll hold out hope the other casting I know of from a recent workshop comes together. Though it has apparently been difficult to get the Coleman estate to agree to a major production that starred someone "non-traditional" as Charity...which is beyond frustrating considering the conversations the industry has been having about inclusion and diversity.

troynow
#40WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/16/22 at 9:23pm

I see Danielle Brooks being nominated and winning in the Best Actress category. She lost as feature during The Color Purple and there is alot of love for her int he community.

Also I am not certain about Wendell winning...

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#41WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/16/22 at 10:40pm

I don’t know what the competition will be but when I saw Kimberly Akimbo, the whole time I was thinking that Bonnie Milligan HAS  to win a Tony for that performance. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#42WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/16/22 at 10:59pm

Are we all forgetting ALWs “ Cinderella “ which he says is opening in the fall? 

OMG U Guyz
#43WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/16/22 at 11:42pm

She’s shooting two films and a series in the next 12 months so if she’s doing it won’t be this season…

Dolly80
#44WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/17/22 at 1:32am

One thing is certain.

Best Actress in a Play will absolutely go to Jodie Comer. Just wait until you see how extraordinary she is.

Dolly80
#45WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/17/22 at 1:34am

David10086 said: "Are we all forgetting ALWs “ Cinderella “ which he says is opening in the fall?"

Yeah that won’t get nominated for anything at all if it happens. Updated On: 6/17/22 at 01:34 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#46WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/18/22 at 8:22pm

Here is my prediction IF AND ONLY IF Cabaret comes over from London:

Eddie would definitely be a frontrunner for Lead Actor. Jessie Buckley (if she comes over too) will be nominated but I cannot say for sure if she will win. I just wish Tom Scutt won the Olivier award for set design. They really should have separate awards for plays and musicals in London. Scutt would be the frontrunner for Set Design of a musical if this does transfer. Maybe Costume design too. I can see Rebecca Frecknall as a frontrunner for Direction of a musical. That's about it for now. Hopefully, we hear some news soon. The suspense is killing me to be honest. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

#47WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/19/22 at 12:35am

I also think Redmayne wins against the announced competition if he transfers this season. Didn’t get to see him in London, but the idea that he made a version of the character unique from both Joel Grey and Alan Cumming sounds like Tony catnip.

I don’t think Buckley would win though, as there’s already a lot of love for Victoria Clarke, and I think it’s only gonna grow once she gets her performance on Broadway.

bobbeathard
#48WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/27/22 at 5:57am

Christian Borle will without a doubt be nominated for Best Actor in a Musical. His being announced as Joe / Josephine in Some Like It Hot just screams awards-worthy performance.

Christian Borle for Best Actor in a Musical 2023

JSquared2
#49WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 6/27/22 at 1:43pm

bobbeathard said: "Christian Borle will without a doubt be nominated for Best Actor in a Musical. His being announced as Joe / Josephine in Some Like It Hot just screams awards-worthy performan

He may very well be nominated -- although J. Harrison Ghee as Jerry/Daphne is the much showier role in SOME LIKE IT HOT (at least based on the presentations they did a few months ago).

Videos