News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys- Page 15

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#350WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 11:21am

Info on the contents of the WGA email has now been reported publicly by Broadway News here. Quoting from the email, which it obtained the salient points are (1) that it is "asking" [not telling, but it likely makes no difference] (2) members [not just nominated ones as THR said] "not to attend," because "this is still a television production on a struck network." The article also clarifies that the production has agreed to pre-taped acceptance speeches, which in turn makes it clear that the production is not being left in the dark.

JSquared2
#351WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 1:20pm

HogansHero said: "Islander_fan said: "Care to elaborate?"

I would but I don't feel I can without compromising some things. Perhaps I should not have posted and of course you are free to believe her rather than my unadorned response. Or perhaps you might choose to be at least a little skeptical.
"

While this rarely happens, I can also corroborate Hogan's intel and confirm that 90% of what Islander's ATW "contact" said is total BS.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#352WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 3:01pm

Seems like we'll just be surprised come June 11 with what actually gets broadcast and allowed.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#353WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 3:42pm

HogansHero said: "Info on the contents of the WGA email has now been reported publicly by Broadway Newshere.Quoting from the email, which it obtained the salient points are (1) that it is "asking" [not telling, but it likely makes no difference] (2) members [not just nominated ones as THR said] "not to attend," because "this is still a television production on a struck network." The article also clarifies that the production has agreed to pre-taped acceptance speeches, which in turn makes it clear that the production is not being left in the dark."

Pick a lane and stick to it...either picket the Tony's or don't. This feels like the WGA is creating an unofficial Picket line after stating they wouldn't picket the event and its going to put all theatrical unions involved in an "unofficial" bind as to whether they should do the same in a show of support. We all know at this point anyone who is a WGA member who attends, and even those who are not are likely going to be labeled a scab, unless the WGA clarifies, which we know they won't.

I understand the Union's flight, but to sacrifice an industry you have nothing to do with to better your own position is going to build a lot of resentment, especially amongst WGA East members, who were why they Guild won't officially picket the event according to the NY times.

Especially after reading a lot of comments on Instagram, Facebook, and Tiktok most writers do NOT understand how Broadway and the entire theatrical industry operates and how divorced it is from the rest of the entertainment industry. The number of comments I have seen saying, we they can sacrifice now for the greater good of the Guild...this work has NOTHING to do with the WGA, its like telling members they need to halt the sales of any books they may have written, paintings/drawings/sculptures they may have made, or songs they may have written/recorded and cannot go on a concert tour. Then you have the other comments stating well why can't the Tony's just wait until the strike is over, completely misunderstanding that the Tony's unlike the rest of entertainment awards, are awarded at the beginning of a works lifecycle to help guarantee commercial success and without them thousands of people will be out of work, and unlike those involved in film/TV production, which is what the WGA represents once the strike is over there will be NO jobs to return to... and if anything the shows that open in their place are going to be the ultracommercial IP productions that the big studios they are striking against have a stake in because they are more likely to be successful without the Tonys. Then again why should am I surprised that writers do not understand how businesses and industries operate...

Updated On: 5/30/23 at 03:42 PM

Ke3
#354WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 7:21pm

Even without the confusion about WGA members, plenty of people will not show up if the strike is not resolved. The Chanel 2024 Resort collection was presented on the Paramount lot. Technically attendees weren't wrong for showing up since the brand was merely renting the lot. Still, writers were picketing outside and attendees had to cross their line to enter the building. It looked bad no matter the technicalities of it, and that's what matters. Nicole Kidman allegedly choose not to attend because of that and I suspect many will make the same choice on Tony night. In this climate, nobody wants to look like they don't support workers. 

Updated On: 5/30/23 at 07:21 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#355WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 7:55pm

Ke3 said: "Even without the confusion about WGA members, plenty of people will not show up if the strike is not resolved. The Chanel 2024 Resort collection was presented on the Paramount lot. Technically attendees weren't wrong for showing up since the brand was merely renting the lot. Still, writers were picketing outside and attendees had to cross their line to enter the building. It looked bad no matter the technicalities of it, and that's what matters. Nicole Kidman allegedly choose not to attend because of that and I suspect many will make the same choice on Tony night. In this climate, nobody wants to look like they don't support workers."

Well, if the writers were picketing that event then it is different than the Tonys, which the WGA has said they won't picket. But I do think there's some mixed messaging going on from the WGA which could lead to some people deciding it's not worth it to go.

Ke3
Ke3
#357WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 8:28pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "Ke3 said: "Even without the confusion about WGA members, plenty of people will not show up if the strike is not resolved. The Chanel 2024 Resort collection was presented on the Paramount lot. Technically attendees weren't wrong for showing up since the brand was merely renting the lot. Still, writers were picketing outside and attendees had to cross their line to enter the building. It looked bad no matter the technicalities of it, and that's what matters. Nicole Kidman allegedly choose not to attend because of that and I suspect many will make the same choice on Tony night. In this climate, nobody wants to look like they don't support workers."

Well, if the writers were picketing that event then it is different than the Tonys, which the WGA has said they won't picket. But I do think there's some mixed messaging going on from the WGA which could lead to some people deciding it's not worth it to go.
"

They weren't specifically picketing the event, they were just demonstrating outside the Paramount lot because well... it's the Paramount lot. As has been pointed out before the WGA can't stop members from deciding to demonstrate outside the Tony ceremony even if they aren't organizing something official. The optics of going past even 10 or 12 people holding signs to get into the Tony ceremony will be bad press.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#358WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 8:30pm

The last couple of posts are creating confusion for no reason. As has been rehearsed, a picket line is not for striking workers; it is to alert others of the strike so that they can act accordingly. Here there will NOT be a picket line and in fact the WGA has made it clear that it is supporting the Tonys going forward June 11, including having expressly authorized members to tape acceptances. So this notion, whether here or elsewhere, that the WGA is somehow being otherwise is nothing more than the chatter of the chattering class. And TBC, asking members not to patronize an event being broadcast on a struck party is very much in line with normal labor relations expectations. So let's not overburden the narrative.

BoringBoredBoard40
#359WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 8:35pm

I have seen like zero advertising for the actual awards, as anyone seen any television ads or subway ads or anything?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#360WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 9:16pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I have seen like zero advertising for the actual awards, as anyone seen any television ads or subway ads or anything?"

The Tony Awards Twitter account has been promoting the ceremony and I'm pretty sure someone in this thread or another one said they saw a commercial on CBS the other day.

PegasusOasis
#361WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 9:26pm

The Tony’s YouTube uploaded a 1 minute general sizzle reel https://youtu.be/rtcEkN1Cm2s

they are also uploading 1 minute videos of each nominated show that look similar to the show’s existing commercials:

ex) parade - https://youtu.be/f7HpouNnMW0

prima facie - https://youtu.be/fSCP9pvQHII

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#362WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/30/23 at 11:03pm

Ke3 said: "They weren't specifically picketing the event, they were just demonstrating outside the Paramount lot because well... it's the Paramount lot."

That is picketing lol

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#363WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 5/31/23 at 11:44am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I have seen like zero advertising for the actual awards, as anyone seen any television ads or subway ads or anything?"

I saw a couple of ads on CBS during its Sunday morning programming.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#364WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]
Posted: 6/8/23 at 8:32pm

Have there been any updates around about the format/plans for the show? In the performances announcement it all seems like business as usual, except that we know it won’t be, writing wise? 

I know we’ll find out in a few days, but asking selfishly as I put together this year’s bingo cards for my Tony party. I always do a combo of general awards show stuff and topical stuff, but it’s challenging this year without knowing what to expect. Though ultimately just glad it’s happening at all! 

Videos