News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys- Page 11

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#250WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 3:21pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "B212323 said: "This is squarely on the Broadway League for not getting ahead of this - they did not even try to negotiate with the WGA before the strike was called. It's mind blowing to me that they didn't write material before the strike deadline and just slot in the nominee names. Unfortunately if the Tonys don't air in a timely manner most likely several new shows will close by Labor Day. How they didn't see this was going to be an issue?!"

You seem to be misinformed:

– The League claims the ceremony was pre-written ahead of the strike beginning (meaning, ahead of the noms being announced). Slotting in names is the same as writing the ceremony from scratch with "scabs" or non-union writers. And without cooperation of the WGA, there's going to be inevitable picketing, backlash, a host dropping out, etc.

The job of a strike is to disrupt.The League's hands were tied and the WGA likely wasn't interested in entertaining convos about compromise ahead of the strike –– just as they weren't interested in making a deal this early in the strike.

– It seems pretty clear the Tonys will happen June 11, televised or not (as a news conference or something else). Shows struggling at the B.O. that don't win would be LUCKY to last til Labor Day. If you're bleeding money, cut your losses as soon as you don't see a bump.

– There has been much talk about "the industry" as a whole being negatively impacted here. But as we know, the Tonys really only benefit a couple of shows a year. The benefits for all others are negligible or nill, and they may incur MORE costs than they'd ever recoup by doing a musical number on a fictional live telecast.
"

I think your last point is entirely wrong. The awards impact the industry in a monumental way not just what we see on screen but employing so many people from stagehands to dressers to seat fillers to private car drivers, etc. It's a big deal. And the impact will be felt without a telecast. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#251WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 3:46pm

I'm glad they are appealing again but they better have some plans to make it more amenable to the WGA. If they really went in with no plans to alter the ceremony the first time, that was dumb. Hopefully they've learned their lesson and will come up with some ideas that the WGA will see as not only a reason not to picket but perhaps even a reason to bolster their case.

Playbill_Trash
#252WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 4:26pm

Am I the only one thinking this is critical time the Tony Awards Management committee, broadway league, and ATW should be using to beef up the Tony Awards website/YouTube streaming channel? The second attempt to see if WGA will not picket the ceremony is a waste of time in the critical month between nominations and awards.

You got your answer Friday to no longer rely on a live network telecast this year. So change your plans to debut a pre-taped event on the Tony YouTube channel on June 11 that looks a lot like what the MTV awards did. Combine pre-taped performances from each show with the announcement of nominees and winners from each category. No host, no presenters, no in between written bits, just the segments highlighting each show and the awards.

As far as ratings go, we’ve discussed here that viewers of the regular CBS Tony telecast are not “passive viewers” in other words, viewers who just see that the Tonys are on and think ok fine I’ll put it on and see if I like it. It is u fortunately very niche and caters to “intentional viewers” - fans that already follow theatre and make it appointment viewing. So I bet the viewing numbers for a pre taped YouTube special would be pretty similar to the telecast as long as they make it easy to find online. (That’s where this crucial time and money comes in).

Put me in the camp of the blame falls on AMPTP and now the broadway league and ATW for fumbling this opportunity to pivot and adapt. This unfortunately makes the burden fall on how deep the pockets of each show are to individually put more money in their own press and marketing.

Lord knows if this happened when Finding Neverland had opened, it’s producer would push a “No Tonys? No problem!” marketing strategy and invest in longer, better quality b-roll footage that gets more exposure than the telecast ever could.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#253WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 5:18pm

2 hour ceremony on YouTube. No opening number. A small rotation of actors reads off the winners. We get pretaped musical numbers from the 5 nominees, PARADE, SWEENEY TODD, CAMELOT, plus A BEAUTIFUL NOISE.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BoringBoredBoard40
#254WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 5:20pm

Really not sure why they think the answer is going to change between now and when they asked several days ago, especially with WGA picketing the CBS/Paramount UPFRONTS this week in NYC it would be a real mixed message 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#255WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 6:20pm

The original waiver ask was (not surprisingly considering who was in charge) incompetently undertaken. If the renewed request is run by WGA quickly and through a high-profile WGA member and a very smart Broadway producer who has little connection to networks or studios, it MAY have a slight chance of working (within very firmly defined contours not including writers returning to work on it) [emphasis on MAY]. Otherwise we jump head first into sunk cost fallacy land (and the magnitude of what's sunk is very very substantial). 

There are a few good ideas mentioned in some recent posts, but there is not time to implement all of them. I completely agree that Broadway needs to pivot and adapt, but as I write this there are 27 days left (if Broadway Briefing's daily math calculation is correct); there is only a limited amount of infrastructure that can be put in place that quickly without a gigantic expenditure on top of the sunk cost I refer to above. I don't think that can happen. There are other ideas that have been mentioned that I don't quite understand. What is accomplished by shifting to youtube. You still can't have writers and you are also not going to have talent. So unless someone has heard that CBS would refuse to air the announcement, and would refuse to air canned performances, why would anyone retreat to youtube (where everything on CBS would end up in short order anyway)? 

So we will wait a few days (at most) to see if WGA has any interest at all in entertaining Broadway's pleas (I'm not holding my breath) and mostly likely will then see the League cobble together some plan that hopefully will not be too embarrassing. 

Dusoleilcanwhistle Profile Photo
Dusoleilcanwhistle
#256WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 6:53pm

Yeah, while a lot of people are responsible for this, the situation is what it is. The WGA picketing an awards show that doesn't cover their medium and in turn costing hundreds if not thousands of employees of Broadway shows their jobs from closing early over the lack of exposure would be on them. It's one thing to stop the MTV Movie and TV Awards from moving forward given they cover film and television projects that make the AMPTP companies profits, but this is not that situation.

And yes, of course, Broadway shouldn't have to be reliant on the Tony Awards so much, but again, it is what it is. It is the single biggest national (and even international) opportunity for these shows and performers to get significant attention outside of the metro-NY area. There is no pivoting from that at this point. 

I say all of this as someone who has been very supportive of the WGA throughout all of the negotiations and until this poor error in judgment to not only deny the waiver but also to choose to picket was made. There are a number of other people (including several WGA member friends) I've spoken with in the last few days who agree, this is the biggest mistake the WGA has made so far and could cost them some real support in the industry. The appeal is their chance to do the right thing and gain it back, but from what I've been hearing the chances of that succeeding are slim to none so get ready for 5 shows to close before the end of the month.  

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 06:53 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#257WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 9:13pm

My money’s on Kimberly AkimboShuckedSome Like It HotLife of Pi, and New York, New York all closing within these next 2-3 weeks. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Mr. Wormwood
#258WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 9:54pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "My money’s onKimberly Akimbo,Shucked,Some Like It Hot,Life of Pi, andNew York, New Yorkallclosing within these next 2-3 weeks.

"

Mr. Doom and Gloom is back. If I recall, you thought live theater might never return during the COVID shutdown. So I'll take your prediction with a grain (or cup full) of salt.

None of those shows are closing in the next 2-3 weeks. 2-3 months maybe for some of them. Not weeks.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 09:54 PM

Dusoleilcanwhistle Profile Photo
Dusoleilcanwhistle
#259WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 9:57pm

Breaking News: WGA will not grant the waiver but now will not picket the awards after the Tonys promised some specific changes. Miraculous.

Article here

Mr. Wormwood
#260WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 9:59pm

Dusoleilcanwhistle said: "Breaking News: WGA will not grant the waiver but now will not picket the awards after the Tonys promised some specific changes. Miraculous.

Article here
"

Wow! I knew some type of deal was possible. Glad the WGA and Tonys are working together.

BoringBoredBoard40
#261WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:08pm

I think the damage is already done, also even though "WGA" as a union has said they won't picket labour laws don't prevent anyone from still demonstrating if they choose 

Also I can't see them retaining a host if she isn't going to have anything to say, also every acceptence speech is going to trash the network it will be airing on

just messy 

djoko84
#262WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:16pm

Dusoleilcanwhistle said: "Yeah, while a lot of people are responsible for this, the situation is what it is. The WGA picketing an awards show that doesn't cover their medium and in turn costing hundreds if not thousands of employees of Broadway shows their jobs from closing early over the lack of exposure would be on them. It's one thing to stop the MTV Movie and TV Awards from moving forward given they cover film and television projects that make the AMPTP companies profits, but this is not that situation.

And yes, of course, Broadway shouldn't have to be reliant on the Tony Awards so much, but again, it is what it is. It is the single biggest national (and even international) opportunity for these shows and performers to get significant attention outside of the metro-NY area. There is no pivoting from that at this point.

I say all of this as someone who has been very supportive of the WGA throughout all of the negotiations and until this poor error in judgment to not only deny the waiver but also to choose to picket was made. There are a number of other people (including several WGA member friends) I've spoken with in the last few days who agree, this is the biggest mistake the WGA has made so far and could cost them some real support in the industry. The appeal is their chance to do the right thing and gain it back, but from what I've been hearing the chances of that succeeding are slim to none so get ready for 5 shows to close before the end of the month.
"

How have you "supported" the WGA? Seems like you have a lot of opinions for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. 

sppunk
#263WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:28pm

Edit: updated story says it’ll air on CBS and be unscripted. So performances, reading awards but a basic press conference event. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/WGA-Wont-Picket-Unscripted-Tony-Awards-Broadcast-Set-For-June-11th-20230515

Shocked WGA is allowing the union busters to air this.   

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 10:28 PM

JSquared2
#264WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:37pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "My money’s onKimberly Akimbo,Shucked,Some Like It Hot,Life of Pi, andNew York, New Yorkallclosing within these next 2-3 weeks.

Just.  Stop.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#265WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:47pm

This is consistent with what I felt was possible as I outlined in the first paragraph of #255 above. I would not get too excited because whatever the "contours" of the understanding are, this is not going to be the same as the regular Tonys. What it does is preserve at a minimum is the announcement of the awards and the opportunity for some shows perhaps to survive, at least for a while, when they would not have otherwise. Now the challenge is to navigate to a result that is not an embarrassment. Will there be performances broadcast? Probably. Will they be live? Maybe. Will they be introduced by more than a title? No. I have a feeling the chyron department may be the center of attention on June 11. WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys Who knew? 

I think the big winner in this is the sense of community. It took a lot of people (more than we know) quickly to get us to this point. Now the question is whether everyone can keep it together. I hope so.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#266WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:47pm

Even by BWW standards, the number of people who truly don't really know what they're talking about here is wild.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#267WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:48pm

Do you think there will still be an "Act One" on Pluto TV or will these agreed-upon adjustments make for a much shorter broadcast solely on network?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#268WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:48pm

So the telecast is going on after all in some form, and still pretty early in the strike too.

Good, I guess…? I could do without all the banter, and honestly, if Ariana decides to stay on board, I’d be fine without an opening number (I wasn’t a fan of last year’s song).

Will this truly make any difference though for the struggling shows? I guess we’ll have to see.

Oh look, a bibu!

JohnyBroadway
#269WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:55pm

Some associated with the industry are reporting that a script was already complete.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#270WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 10:57pm

sppunk said: "Shocked WGA is allowing the union busters to air this."

Without getting into the substance of the fight, I said very early on, and still believe, that the WGA will actually benefit from what they have now agreed to, because it will not be the same and in being what it will be the union's central point (i.e., the primacy of writing) will be made vividly. If you look back at what happened the last time with the gradual return of late night (not counting Letterman who was sui generis) what was permitted did NOT include unscripted monologues (and Leno got in trouble because he cheated). 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#271WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:03pm

JohnyBroadway said: "Some associated with the industry are reporting that a script was already complete."

It could not have been complete (unless you think that both the nominations and the winners are rigged LOL). I am confident it will not be used this year. It will be just as "complete" for the 2024 Tonys, so maybe all is not lost.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#272WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:03pm

"Broadway's still hurting..." is a common refrain I've seen here.

And yet, despite the many opportunities in the last 3+ years for innovation, pivoting, and learning, Broadway leaders have decided to opt for business as usual, as quickly as possible. The League is still led by Charlotte "Of course I know what a swing is" St. Martin, the same few press shops handle all the shows and are still led by the same people, and the same big theater owners still operate as a cartel.

Broadway will continue to hurt with this sort of leadership.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/15/23 at 11:03 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#273WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:06pm

Can Ariana perform a song and monologue as long as it’s not scripted? I’m honestly curious to see an awards show without the corny under rehearsed scripted joke segments that often don’t land and just make the ceremony longer. Might not be the worst thing.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#274WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:10pm

HogansHero said: "JohnyBroadway said: "Some associated with the industry are reporting that a script was already complete."

It could not have been complete (unless you think that both the nominations and the winners are rigged LOL). I am confident it will not be used this year. It will be just as "complete" for the 2024 Tonys, so maybe all is not lost.
"

If they were smart, they would've ensured the couple of days between the nominations being announced and the strike being called were spent writing up something minimal and usable for a broadcast.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 11:10 PM

Videos