Casting by Race

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#0Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 12:41am

When I did a search to see if there was a thread about this already, nothing came up. So I apologize if this has already been discussed.
I was wondering how everyone felt about whether or not colorblind casting is a good idea. I mean, we've obviously seen it work in some cases (Cinderella) and not work in others (Debatably, Lennon). But what about those cases where they pass off a white girl as WSS's Maria? Is it better to cast a person because they embody the part or because they look the part?

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#1re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 12:59am

i think on the stage, there is the aspect of the audience's "suspension of disbelief" therefore, anything could work if it's done well

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#2re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 1:07am

OK, I'm going to be brave...

I am all for colorblind casting when it is appropriate for the play. If it truly doesn't matter what race/ethnicity a character is, then cast someone of any heritage. But many times a specific race is required by the text (even if it is not stated directly) for reasons of historical accuracy or artistic necessity. Sometimes the ethnic requirements of a role are obvious (Maria in WSS is Puerto Rican, Othello is black, etc.), but other times the director needs to make a decision based on a mixture of aesthetics and logic. I don't want to point out the requirements of specific roles (let's keep this discussion simple), but generally speaking, unless you're doing Shakespeare (in which case, as it is commonly believed, anything goes), the director needs to be true to the play as it was written, as that is the duty of the director of any play.

Updated On: 11/28/05 at 01:07 AM

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#3re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 1:11am

I saw a color blind Othello once, truly terrible, worse than that it was set in modern times and someone seemed to have stuck a 5 minute disco in there to represent them partying...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#4re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 1:25am

I agree that if it's in the script it should be followed, but otherwise I'm all for colorblind casting. Examples...

YAGMCB revival, Schroeder was black and Linus was Asian, and it was perfectly fine, I loved both of them.

My dad's friend saw Of Mice and Men a few years back with James Earl Jones as Lennie (Lenny?). Though he was amazing, in the show there is a character who is discriminated against because he is black, and it seemed to be a non-issue for Lennie, which some people in the audience thought was a little odd.

fiatlux
#5re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 5:29am

"the director needs to be true to the play as it was written, as that is the duty of the director of any play."

But not Shakespeare, what's the distinction? I work for a national company in London - and I've been delighted to see a black actors play Anthony in Sweeney Todd, the lead role in Henry V, as well as Mr Snow in Carousel to name but a few. I don't think it made any difference to the audience, certainly not to the critics.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#6re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 7:36am

I think it works really well, even though some may see it as discrimination, to me it just helps certain roles seem more beliavable.

It works great in Lion King where the Main lions (simba, nala, mufassa), are black actors and Scar is a white guy.

It dosent work well in other shows, like current Les Miz in London has a Black Javert, doesnt seem likely for the period. And even though Robert Gulliamme had a great voice as Phantom, there it also doesnt go with the period, or the story line.

I guess when the show revolves around fantasy versus a period piece it can work well, (cats, Lion King, VS Phantom LesMiz)

I also thought it was cleverly done in Aida where the Egyptians were white and the Nubians were black.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

pab Profile Photo
pab
#7re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:10am

I've had great success with colorblind casting.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Jon
#8re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:24am

Lion King, Cinderella, Charlie Brown, Into the Woods, are essentially fantasies, so anything goes.

The 1990's revival of CAROUSEL had a black Carrie and a white Mr. Snow giving birth to a brood of black, white and Asian children. Again, it works becausew the show is a fantasy. If Billy can come down from heaven, then the Snows can have a rainbow coalition of kids.

I think the two cases that don't work with colorblind casting are plays about real people from history and plays that specifically deal with racial issues. It would be quite distracting to see a production of "1776" with a black actor as Thomas Jefferson. And it certainly would not work to cast SHOWBOAT with a black actress as Magnolia, when a main plot point is that her friend Julie is a black woman trying to pass as white.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:30am

I think it has to do with the show. Would I cast while people in Piano Lesson? No. Would I cast black people in Anne Frank? No. There are just some shows where race has to do with the theme of the show, and having an actor of a different race, just erases the message of the show. Visual images are powerful tools, and I think when necessary, race can create such an image.

But in a lot of cases, cross casting can work, and even create new power to the text. But it's a fragile thing, and I don't think it's often racist. Sometimes sure. In Hollywood. Sure. But I think there has been, and will continue to be, great uses of colorblind casting.

Musicals are especially easy to colorblind cast. Though I hate seeing musicals where they cast the 1 black guy and the 1 black girl. The seems to obvious. I say, they most talented person gets the role. But sadly the cards aren't usually dealt that way.

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#10re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 11:07am

I don't think it necessarily has to do with the show. The National Theatre in London has had great success with colorblind casting, in having black Hamlets, black Henry V's etc. Ultimately, it should boil down to talent.

cubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
#11re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 11:10am

I really liked that they had a black Fiyero on tour. I thought it was kind of interesting how everyone hated Elphaba because she was green, but nobody hated Fiyero. Just an interesting take.

Jim Caruso: You know, you are doing Wicked.
Stephanie J Block: I am!
Jim: Is anyone coming to that old thing?

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#12re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 11:12am

There has been an Asian Eponine and a black Madame Thernardier in Les Miz on Broadway. While the work itself is a piece of fiction, it's based in historical background. And everyone seemed to be able to take that in stride...

ashley0139
#13re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 1:04pm

I was in a production of the Sound of Music a long time ago where one of the guys that played Freidrich (triple cast) was black. He also understudied Rolf. I'm all for colorblind casting when it works, but it's not very likely there was a black Nazi in WWII Germany. It didn't work and ruined the suspension of disbelief.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

alanimal
#14re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 1:31pm

My high school production of The Sound of Music had a black father and slew of white kids as the Von Trapps, and it got more laughter than anything else. Of course, we were a pretty immature audience!

"Let me get my hat, and my knife!"
"What?"
"I must meet your wife..."

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#15re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 2:13pm

Currently in London's Les Miz, Enjolras and Javert are both being played by black men.

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#16re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 2:30pm

Ok, bu what about when they make a white actress look asian (just as an example). If they can make the person look the race they're supposed to be playing, that doesn't ruin anything. This is a very hot topic at my school right now. They just cast a white girl as Maria over some very talented hispanic girls. Now, they can pass this girl as Puerto Rican, but does it seem fair to take away from one of the (rather limited) pool of parts specifically written for a minority?

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#17re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 2:46pm

Colorblind cast is important in all situations, except when the central conflicts of the play are race related. Therefore a black Scarett O'Hara would be foolish, but a black Eliza Dolittle could work.

If you can't accept this, my guess is that you are one of the MANY overpriveleged European Americans who go the theatre, have little genuine imagination, and secretly believe that the white race is the "standard" race and everything else is "substandard"

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#18re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:15pm

Interesting story...

My college produced "A Streetcar Named Desire" years ago with a very talented black actor as Mitch, playing opposite a white Blanche.

The during the performances for the subscription audience, very little reaction or question was given to the color-blind casting of Mitch.

However, during the one performance which was given to the local high schools, and huge vocal reaction erupted at one point in the play.

Why?

Well, the subsciption audience knew the play and had probably seen the film. Because of their familiarity with the story, they knew that Mitch was a white character being played by an black actor.

The high school audiences had probably never seen "Streetcar" in any form and assumed that Mitch was a black character. Their only exposure to "Streetcar" was what they were seeing and hearing at that performance.

What was the moment which almost created a riot?

Blanche upon prompting Mitch how to present a floral bouquet to her, declares "Good Boy!"

Color-blind casting is wonderful. I cast an incredible black actress as Katherine (The Elizabeth Taylor Role) in "Suddenly Last Summer." It was dynamite.

However, if you are color-blind casting a role, please make that you understand all of the possible interpretations that could result.

ellenoshalom Profile Photo
ellenoshalom
#19re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:23pm

Colorblind cast are great and are needed more. If we are really "over" the racial bias - it should be acceptable. Its not acceptable in some cases where it should be. Personally, I just think, let the people live out their dreams. I know a friend who really wants to play a black jovial female in some kind of production...its her passion. Dreams are priceless. However, in this world we tend to be dreams destoryers. WE like to box people up in categories.
Updated On: 11/28/05 at 03:23 PM

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#20re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:24pm

Flahooley, interesting that you should mention having a black Eliza in My Fair Lady. I saw a production in Portland last year (it also played in Dallas) where a black actress, Sherry Boone, played Eliza. I remember there being some controversy and most of it, surprisingly, was from black actors. There was an article in the paper in which another black actress spoke about how she didn't like watching a white Doolittle sell and black Eliza to a white Higgins, among other things. Maybe I can dig that up somewhere, it was very interesting.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#21re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:37pm

Some of the best productions I saw for four years running were with colorblind casting at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

ihearttheatre
#22re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:46pm

In general, the best person for the part should be chosen, but there are certain parts that require a certain race.

For example, a non-black Celie or anyone from The Color Purple would take away from the story given its cultural context. There are others of this nature, but you get the point.

Anyway, casting shouldn't be based on race, but in some cases, realistically, it has to be considered.

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#23re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 4:06pm

Interesting that someone mentioned having a black Fiyero...ACTUALLY, in the original novel he is described as having brown skin...so all the other Fiyeros have actually be cast colorblindly, while Derrick Williams has been the only who has been cast true to the original novel.

www.kickfornick.com

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#24re: Casting by Race
Posted: 11/28/05 at 4:26pm

Opening another (but not unrelated) box of worms...

What about Gender-Blind Casting!?