pixeltracker

Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience

Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience
Posted: 8/26/07 at 4:33pm

Brett's Birthday at Xanadu and our onstage experience

I thought that I wont be able to post these pictures, but my friends told me yesterday after we saw Xanadu that its okay to post this on BWW. I am not going to do my usual 10/10 Report. I am going to do it differently this time with a Photo Diary of our day trip experience to NYC for Brett's birthday to see Xanadu.

Boston's South End
Rendevouz at 8:00 am at Joe's Place

View of Boston Skyline

SouthEnd Neighborhood

We left South End at around 8:30 am .. Fortunately we all (6 of us total ) fitted into Joe's SUV . We played Xanadu the movie, after about 12 mins of the movie- we decided- we wanted to see Margaret Cho's Revolution & Finding Nemo instead Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience BTW- We listened to Madonna's new song several times . We arrived in NYC at around 12:30 just in time to find a parking , freshen up Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience and eat lunch.

Lunch at Angus McIndoe

The whole gang (chris, jay, joe, justin, greg & brett )

Brett (the birthday boy ) & Greg

Chris (my hubby ) & I

Joe & Justin

While waiting for our lunch

Xanadu
Helen Hayes Theater
8/25 2 pm matinee
Onstage Seating
Tix price- $41.25
(We paid $ 247.50 - total of 6 )

I actually met Broadwayjim while falling in line for Xanadu . He instantly recognized me Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience (Jim - my friend Joe has your picture in his camera and I will forward it to you later, I will not post it here- unless you want me too ? ) He came to say "hi" - that was nice, jim...I hope you feel better with your toothache.

Before the show

Our onstage experience

We actually sat onstage. we met Linder lou and everyone loves her .. she is so energetic & funny. She keeps making fun of us before we went onstage. we were
practicing our dance moves for the Xanadu finale number. I saw some guys
sitting at the Orchestra front row that was waving at me and I waved back at them(probably from BWW ) We (the gang) got separated bec. they only have 5 seats & 1 left.. but the guys dont wanna be separated, so I voluntered to sit at the odd chair all by myself . They all sat at the bench behind the band on stage right while I sat on the a bench next to this pretty young lady.. and she asked me.. " are you jaystarr ..? and she told me that she is Millie Dillmount (from BWW ) . What a suprise !!! we both sat on the bench where Mary Testa & Jackie Hoffman sit for the popcorn & soda. I got separated from the gang but I made a friend Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience Millie & I had a blast thru the entire show- Mary Testa offered us popcorn and I told Millie - "Oh ! that was stale! and she was laughing ! "

Kerry Butler (during the All Over The World number ) came thru our bench and clean it with a sponge. She made eye contact with me and "wink " .. That was soo sweet..!

Curtis Holbrook made fun of my spike hair and Millie was laughing and at the finale when Curtis passed at our bench, he tapped my shoulder Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience too bad- I did not meet you after the show..curtis !

BTW- After the show we were handed a string for our glowstick and the "new" playbill with Cheyenne Jackson's picture & credits inside

For pics of the "new Playbill" with Cheyenne Jackson
click here for WonderRobbie's Do the Du thread -that I posted :
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?page=6&thread=943840

After the show

Justin, Joe , Greg & Brett

Chris (he's a little sleepy here ) & I ( of course ..It wont be complete without this picture of me holding the "new" Xanadu Playbill

Stage Dooring (again ! ) at the Helen Hayes

Cheyene with a fan. This lady really had the time of her life ! She was sitting at the front row and the Xanadu finale number.. She stood up (all by herself ) she was dancing, singing out loud & clapping and having a blast ! I pointed her out to Millie & we both gigling ...I am sooo happy for this Lady ! Good for her !
BTW- Millie - I just pm'ed your picture with Cheyenne..I dont know if you want me to post your pic or you want to remain anonymous ? - that's why I did not post it here...I had a blast sitting with you onstage and hanging out at the stage door Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience

Cheyenne signing Clumsy's Advocate magazine
For the actual autograph, click here for Clumsy's birthday thread (that I posted)
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?page=2&thread=945020

Cheyenne, Justin, Brett & Chris

Me & Andre

Justin, Me & Andre

The whole gang with Shannon
Shanon told me.. I love my shirt, I saw it while youre sitting onstage, I noticed it right away with when I was singing the "I'm Alive " number Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience

Joe, Justin & Greg with Jackie Hoffman (My friends love Jackie Hoffman so much !!
They cannot stop talking about how good she is ! - specially Greg )

Brett (the birthday boy ) doing his Kira pose
Secret : Brett has a crush on Cheyenne too-not a secret anymore ! Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience

Dinner at Ariba, Ariba !

After the show we walked from 44 st to 54 st to meet Cole ( he used to live in Boston but moved to NYC now) and it was the hottest & most humid day of the year.. It was like 150 degrees... its all bec. Brett was our guide & thinks he knew where we going ?

Finally we found a place where we could all sit down and its COLD !!!

We catched up with Cole and we talked about Xanadu ... actualy the waiter asked us? What show did you see ? and we told him ... Xanadu and he said ... Oh my !!! I love that show soooo much !!!! Finally I heard their own onstage experience (remember I was separated from them) They all loved Jackie Hoffman & Andre Ward !!! Justin & Brett was moving their shoulders and making dance moves during the "Fool " number- I was making eye contact with Justin and made a little "wave" at him cuz theyre too much ! (he was on another side) The Finale number- I had to asked Millie how to break the glowstick cuz I forgot it.... LOL !

Cole & Justin

Brett, Greg , Joe, Justin & Cole

me & Chris

Everyone Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience cole, jay, chris, brett, greg, joe & justin

Karaoke at The Ritz

Greg & Brett doing their "Suddenly " duet, of course Brett insisted of being Kira !

Joe only wants to sing "I'm Alive" but they dont have it ! bummer !!!!

Goodbye ! NYC

We left NYC at 7:20 pm and to our shocked we have to pay additiional $38.00 for being late 20 mins . Actually when we parked at 12:30 pm - we were told that the parking was only $21.00 dollars after we parked they charged us $32.00 for oversize vehicle...
now that we were late 20 mins- we have to pay additional $32.00 Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience

On our way home... We were playing the whole "Xanadu" soundtrack. Now we were all singing "Xanadu" Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience Everyone had a blast ! - its really a fun experience to bring your friends with you .. My advice- sit onstage, dress 80's or dress crazy ..don't worry about what people are going to say ..as long as you feel confortable about yourself.. bring the whole family.. the whole gang.... you only live once... ENJOY !!

Now when I see these guys at the gym tommorow (Monday ) - I can all call them 'sistahs' and we have a little inside joke about the whole show... Our favorite line.. Chris, Joe & I love- B*tch ! I dont know your Life ! while Brett , Justin & Greg love " I try to dress simply and let my personality shine through.

J*

My other Xanadu postings :

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu ( 6/19/07)
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=938866#3098430

Jaystarr revisited XANADU (6/23/07)
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=939399&boardname=bway

Unfortunately I think this might be my last visit and last posting to XANADU Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience
There's a lot of new shows, specially plays that I am anticipating to see and I live 250 miles away from the Helen Hayes and I cant see the show all the time - But there's soo many fans of Xanadu now that are willing to continue to SPREAD THE LOVE WE CAME TO KNOW --- Huzzah !!! to all my sisters Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage experience

Updated On: 8/26/07 at 04:33 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:04pm

"Curtis Holbrook made fun of my spike hair and Millie was laughing and at the finale when Curtis passed at our bench, he tapped my shoulder too bad- I did not meet you after the show..curtis ! "

Yeah, he tapped your hair with the fake hammer during the Xanadu restoration scene! I really wish I got to meet him after the show. I had my chance last time, but I guess he didn't feel like coming out today.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#2re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:05pm

Damn..what a good looking group! Especially that Justin :) Glad you had fun!! :)

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:09pm

I saw y'all when I was heading to the subway after the matinee of The Year of Magical Thinking to get my ticket for the evening/closing performance (I'd left the ticket at home like an idiot) and also change clothes. Glad you had fun!

OT: How do you post so many pics in a post? I've only ever been able to do one no matter which photobucket code I use. re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#4re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:09pm

Wow Jay - Those pics are great. And Cheyenne in a tank top (yum). Looks like you all had a great time. I know you'll be back soon 'cause, like me, your gonna have witdrawals in about a week.
PS: Your friends are a bunch of hotties! Would you ask Justin if he'd marry me pleez - haha.
xoxo Jeff

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#5re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:11pm

I hate how you b*tches can sit there and drink margaritas and eat Mexican and still look the way you do.

Ugh! I'm gonna go eat Peanut Butter from the jar.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#6re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:11pm

jordangirl: Just paste the photo URL in the main text box.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#7re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:15pm

Thanks Millie. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Linder Profile Photo
Linder
#8re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/26/07 at 9:04pm

Thanks guys...I'm sure I'll see you all again soon!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#9re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 12:17am

Nice pics, Jaystarr.
Gah, those pictures make me miss Boston. (I'll be going back to school there this weekend.)
They also make me really want to see Xanadu! Haha.

~Steven

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#11re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 6:41am

Jaystarr -- Great pics and diary of your trip! Makes me wanna gather my troops for a Xanadu expedition immediately. Indeed, the e-mails will go out this morning!

Dark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
#12re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 7:13am

Those pics were great jaystarr. Looks like you guys had so much fun! Thanks for sharing! re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e

broadwayjim42
#13re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 8:16am

Hey Jay--great to meet you and your friends on Saturday. I'll let you know if you can post the picture after I see how dorky I look in it.:)

Had a great time--was on stage left/audience right, so I literally saw more of the show than I did before. Told Kerry at the stage door that her accent reminds me of the "friends" in "Muriel's Wedding"--she said she'd never seen it. Maybe I should send her a copy.

Was pain-free 95% of the weekend thanks to triple-strength ibuprofen and penicillin...although I have to admit the heat got to me a little Saturday afternoon. Had to duck into a hotel and crash for a few before heading back out.

Updated On: 8/27/07 at 08:16 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 11:35am

Who was your bartender at ANGUS?
There are some cuties working there. and they are all very friendly.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#15re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 5:19pm

^^^Thanks guys !!!

re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e

Tobiasragg- yeah- we passed by the Brooks Atkinson Theater and we saw a line by the stage door, where you there ? you might have left before the curtain bow when we passed by we heard theyre still playing the finale song, joe even made a comment that the audience seem like the audience were having a blast !

matty 159- definitely bring all your friends bec. its more fun when you see the show with youre friends...now when Brett complains..I can always tell him.. B*tch , I dont your life !

Curtain- sorry, I cant remember the waiter re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e

BTW- this morning I got e-mails from the guys.. sorry I just posted now bec. I was so busy at work (doing my work for the entire week ) bec. I will be out on vacation starting Wednesday thru Monday.. were going to New Orleans... re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e

Here's what they think (since they are not BWW registered posters) I am posting our e-mails correspondence this morning when I forward this link & the pics .. so I am sure they all read this :

from justin

"Fanadadus!!!! Fanaduuuuooosssss!
And now Open your eyes and see
What we have made is real
We are Fanaduuuuussss!!!!"

from Brett

I loved it!
Thanks so much J for planning it.
We had such a blast!
I'm a Fanadu!

from Greg

Thanks Jay for a fun Saturday.

Thanks Justin/Joe for driving :)

from justin
Ya, thanks again. We had a blast. I like being a day tripper!

from brett
Daytripping is the way to go! Everyone's doing it.
I can't wait to do it again!!!

from joe

oh jesus !

from brett

We need the fabulous people watching table!

from joe

j,

thanks so much, everyone had a blast!!!

I am sure Chris will post later ... He posts like once in a blue moon -J*

Updated On: 8/28/07 at 05:19 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 5:38pm

Great to see you 'clean-up' to go to the theatre. re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e

Fire away, Wanna Be A Foster. I have it comin'!

WOOF!

Chris1973 Profile Photo
Chris1973
#17re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/27/07 at 9:07pm

Hey, I will try to make a "10/10" list Jay style, about what I liked and did not like about the trip, especially for anyone thinking about making a trip to Xanadu--I think it's well worth it, we all had a great time

Things I liked

1. Onstage seating-I had seen the show in previews from the audience, and I liked the onstage seating WAY better (I don't think Jay felt the same way, he liked it better from the audience). For me, I was on the side, though, so I could mostly see facial expressions
, from a side view, I don't think I would have liked it much from the middle, seeing the backs of their heads all the time (poor Jay got separated and sat in the middle) . Try to sit along the side, it's so much fun to be in the middle of the action; the actors run and scate back and forth past you, and sometimes they sing at you and make eye contact. Also, when the fog rolls over the stage sometimes, it's all around you; it all makes the experience much more interesting.

2. Going in a group. This show is WAY corny, so you will appreciate it the most with a bunch of friends, especially if they like goofball humour. We were giggling about the show for hours afterwards.

3. Kerry Butler (female lead). Very talented and so gorgeous !

4. Cheyenne Jackson (male lead). So charismatic and what a great voice !!

5. Jackie Hoffman--she's the biggest "comedienne", and she's so hilarious--kind of reminds me of Carol Burnett. You can't keep from laughing in the scenes she is in.

6 . The entire cast-there's not one weak performer. Some of the standouts in the minor roles, Shannon Anatalan (what a nice figure !), Andre Ward (for a fairly minor role, he got several of the biggest laughs !), Curtis Holbrook (his tap dance scene is so ..... Awwww!)

7. Stage Door. Most of the actors came out and were all very gracious to the fans; they are all very down to earth and friendly. I think our friends were a little embarrassed by stage dooring (they felt like groupees), but then when the actors started coming out, I think they enjoyed it.

8. Band-they can really rock--again, it was nice to sit on stage, we were actually right in front of the band.

9. Ushers/People connected with the show. Everyone seems excited about the show, and like they want you to have a really great time...that may be a minor detail, but you know, it helps create a mood of enjoyment before the show even starts.

10. NYC--don't get me wrong, I love Boston, but you can't beat NYC for energy and having a great time ! I love it every time.

Things I did not like

1. Parking--OK, maybe we were a little naive to think we could show up a little late and just sweet talk our way out of it, but to charge us for another DAY...I mean come ON, b*tches!

2. Heat. If you are planning a trip to NYC, I suggest you wait until you are reasonably sure we are past 90 degree weather...you don't have that much longer to wait anyway . Let me explain it like this.....you know when you are cooking something, and your whole house smells like food? Well, when NYC "cooks" it smells like garbage (no offense New Yorkers, I really do love your city !). You won't have that issue in Autumn. If you are offended by funky smells, be warned....

3. Prices. OK when we got the bill for dinner it was $351....WHOA ! I will have to admit though, the food was good, *really* good...the best Mexian food I can remember. I thought it looked fairly reasonable when I saw the menu, maybe it was the drinks.....oh well !

4. The usher that sat with us lauged really loud at all the jokes, even the ones that weren't so funny....he can't possibly really be that tickled, after hearing them for the thousandth time.

That's it, I can't think of anything else I did not like, it was a great time....it's not Angels in America, and I doubt anyone will leave the theater profoundly moved, but if you appreciate a feel good show, you might love it, and if you are so inclined, it's worth it to meet the cast at the end, they seem genuinely nice.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

broadwayjim42
#19re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/28/07 at 12:03am

Chris--great posting and very nice to meet you on Satruday...hope I wasn't too pesty with you guys. The usher I sat with that night had the giggles too but was very sweet...she had to keep looking over to the next group of stage seats because one woman was on the verge of throwing up the whole show. What's the point of going when you know you're not feeling well..a cold I can understand, but a stomach flu?? Nuh uh.

For those who care, survived the dentist..need two wisdom teeth out, but hey Dad, no cavities!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#20re: Jaystarr's Photo Diary 8/25 : Brett's B-day at Xanadu and our onstage e
Posted: 8/28/07 at 12:27am

You do know about the Fan Photo section, right?

Where you can post ALL your photos?

PEACE.