pixeltracker

Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an "everyday thing"- Page 2

Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an "everyday thing"

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#25Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:13pm

I have no problem with gratuitous sex or nudity. It is the gratuitous bloody violence I have a problem with.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#26Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:23pm

His further clarification seems to indicate that, in fact, he was originally talking about gay content, and that that, specifically, makes him uncomfortable:

"First of all, I don't understand why there would be anything offensive that I said. When it gets too far either visually...now, that world exists because it does for the hetero world, it exists, and I don't want to see that either. But when I feel it's a cause, when I feel it's "You're going to like my lifestyle," no matter what it is, I'm going to have a problem and there were a couple of shows I went 'I couldn't watch that with somebody else." That's fine. If whoever writes it or produces it...totally get it. It's all about personal taste."

Link Updated On: 1/20/15 at 02:23 PM

Roscoe
#27Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:29pm

"But when I feel it's a cause, when I feel it's "You're going to like my lifestyle," no matter what it is, I'm going to have a problem and there were a couple of shows I went 'I couldn't watch that with somebody else."

This actually makes it worse. The man whose single most-seen career moment constitutes sitting across from Meg Ryan as she simulated an orgasm at Katz's deli has a problem with same sex representation on TV.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#28Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:31pm

So much worse. I'm still too tired today to work up appropriate indignation, but damn.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#29Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:33pm

I'm not particularly indignant myself. I've worked with Crystal, and he was perfectly pleasant. I don't wish him ill or anything.

But I don't think there's any point in pretending that he didn't mean what he said.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#30Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:54pm

His career is a mystery to me.

Stephanatic

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#31Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:55pm

I say to Billy Crystal what I seem to say to myself with increasing frequency each year of my life:

"SHUT YOUR MOUTH, YOU CRANKY OLD JEW!"

And, of course, I say that with love.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#32Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:56pm

He used the "L" word: Lifestyle. He's got a SOAP era mindset; that's the reveal here.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:57pm

I was just going to mention that. I tend to check out the minute someone uses that word.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:00pm

Well that seems like a lifestyle choice of yours, Phyllis.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#35Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:02pm

"
His remarks were clarified within hours of him making them. This is a non-event. Billy Crystal is clearly not a hateful human being. "

And, if you had read the thread instead of just commenting, you'll see I posted those clarifications 6 hours before your post.

So of course the original link was jumping to a conclusion (as many other sites did,) which is, I think, a bit unfair. That said, I agree completely with this comment made on the THR link clarifying things:

" MrRobotoLA • 21 hours ago

I don't think there was any intent to hurt, but Billy absolutely wasn't talking about that icky straight sex and nudity (which has been around for a LONG time) and fretting about it becoming an "everyday kind of thing." He was talking specifically about gay representations on TV today. That's problematic and disappointing.

(end quote.)

I agree with Reginald and others above, the continued further "clarification" seems to just dig him deeper. And, honestly, he said he didn't want to actually name these tv shows, but I can't really think of any tv shows that, via the technique of graphic gay sex and "gay nudity," push an agenda of "You're going to like my lifestyle" OR ELSE!

Updated On: 1/20/15 at 03:02 PM

South Florida
#36Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:08pm

who really cares

Stephanatic

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#37Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:12pm

This only proves that when gays watch Looking, it is a dreary, ridiculous show where the male nudity is the only thing that makes it somewhat bearable. But when straight people watch it, it is a dreary, ridiculous show where the male nudity only makes it even worse.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#38Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:14pm

It's problematic and disappointing? Really? I really think you'll be ok, he's one dude and he's entitled to his opinion. Gay sex scenes makes tons of people uncomfortable, it's not really news.

"but I can't really think of any tv shows that, via the technique of graphic gay sex and "gay nudity," push an agenda of "You're going to like my lifestyle" OR ELSE!"

That was Brian Kinny's entire character on Queer As Folk.

Sutton Ross
#39Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:17pm

"But when straight people watch it, it is a dreary, ridiculous show where the male nudity only makes it even worse."

I love Looking because it's dreary and ridiculous. The sex scenes are great except the ones that feature the short, whiny, drug addicted, grizzly bearded man.

South Florida
#40Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:19pm

I must admit watching gay guys fu**, may make me walk away. But watching Billy Crystal eff anything would have me fleeing fast.

Stephanatic

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#41Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:24pm

Thank You, South Florida. The first time I noticed you around these parts was when you started complaining about the topless guy avatars, so that's not really much of an admission. We all knew you were a douche already.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

South Florida
#42Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:27pm

I can't help it Jay, I don't wanna watch ugly people or guys F***, is that a crime?

Stephanatic

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#43Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:29pm

"t's problematic and disappointing? Really? I really think you'll be ok, he's one dude and he's entitled to his opinion. Gay sex scenes makes tons of people uncomfortable, it's not really news. "

Feel free to reply to his comment on THR--that was a quote, not me.

You do have a point about Brian Kinney who was one of the more loathsome characters on TV and yet every other character seemed to exist to tell audiences that he was still some sort of hero (contrast that to Stuart, his counterpoint in the UK original.)

Updated On: 1/20/15 at 03:29 PM

Liza's Headband
#44Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:37pm

You are a diehard SJB fan but don't want to watch gay guys f*ck? Am I in the twilight zone right or something?

Updated On: 1/20/15 at 03:37 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#45Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:38pm

South Florida, I could make a point about the misogynistic nature of pop culture that makes me see far more lady parts than I would prefer, but I'm not in the mood.

It must be so hard for you.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Sutton Ross
#46Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:39pm

I agree with you there. I enjoyed both interpretations, and Aidan Gillen and Gale Harold are such great actors, they made it work.

FindingNamo
#47Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:40pm

Have you ever seen Joe Gage's landmark trilogy, South Florida? Kansas City Trucking Co., El Paso Wrecking Corp., and LA Tool & Die?

Because I think you might be doing watching guys have sex wrong.

On wikipedia they call it Working Man Trilogy

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

South Florida
#48Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:42pm

I don't watch a lot of TV or movies.

Stephanatic

South Florida
#49Billy Crystal doesn't want gay sex scenes on tv treated as an
Posted: 1/20/15 at 3:44pm

I'm not gonna click on that Namo, I may get damaged.

Stephanatic

Videos