pixeltracker

Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?- Page 2

Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#25Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 12:09pm

To be fair, no one really believes Bruno Mars when he sings about women.

FindingNamo
#26Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 12:09pm

Nope. She was like "Bye country! I'm pop now! And I'm gonna order me up some excellent friends thru the Internet. Have you met my BFF Lena Dunham. She taught me the importance of taking a stance against the World Health Organization's call to legalize prostitution! We're deep thinkers that way!"

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 12:21pm

Not a fan, but there isn't a lot of pop music that  interests me. Don't like Cyrus, either.  I'm sure my being an old fart has a lot to do with it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#28Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 12:41pm

I am also not a fan. I know people love her because of some of the stuff she has done for fans. While I do not think everything she does is insincere, I think some of it is over hyped a little. Like it was "news" how some girls got into a car crash after 1 of her concerts and were found because of the glowing bracelets they were wearing that they got there. I mean, yay that they had them, but to have the whole fanbase praising her for saving them was a little much and ridiculous, in my opinion.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#29Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 12:52pm

Her music is OK, but I think she's sort of having a weird reaction to fame in that she rarely can smile anymore, preferring to look like she always just bit into an overly sour pickle before any photo. Even at awards shows, she is always dancing too much and lipsyncing too all the songs, knowing she is in the front row, and they'll keep cutting to her. I dunno, there's something off about it all. Caitlyn Jenner already seems more natural out in public as a famous woman.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#30Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:02pm

I don't get it, either, to be honest. Her "transition" felt more like a half-transition to me, since her brand of country usually had that poppy sound mixed in with it and was regularly played on mainstream pop radio anyways, so I don't know why people keep praising her and worshiping the ground she walks on for her "impressive transition" from country to pop when music-wise, she doesn't sound all that different from any other pop star out there. It's cool that she writes her own songs, I'll give her that, but her singing in my opinion is a bit mediocre and her voice is really nothing special; it's all light and bubblegum. Many of her songs are trite and forgettable if you don't listen to them fifty million times.

As for her public persona, I don't doubt that she's probably a nice person, but this whole "feminism" thing she has going on is something that I personally believe is a ploy to appeal to the masses. Feminism is becoming mainstream again, and Taylor didn't even start talking about it until it started becoming the "cool thing" to do, which, if you're a feminist, shouldn't be the reason to join such a group in the first place. Besides, she only ever seems to comment on feminism when tabloids are trashing her, when she can claim it's all due to sexism in the music industry (despite the fact that both female AND male celebrities get trashed on a daily basis).

I guess I just don't understand why she's become so successful. It's good for her that it happened, but I'm not exactly thrilled when society starts worshiping a celebrity like they're the second coming of Jesus, regardless of who it is. One shouldn't have to feel like they're going to get dragged just for disliking a certain artist's music.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 8/26/15 at 01:02 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#31Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:07pm

Hype breeds hype. A lot of these acts are just successful brands like Coca-Cola or whatever, their success isn't indicative of any quality or talent per se. Most people don't really give two sh!ts about music, they just accept whatever they're spoonfed without ever really digging deeper. Which is fine. I'm probably sounding like a snobbish a-hole.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

FindingNamo
#32Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:08pm

I'm happy to live in a world where it's cool and trendy to say you're feminist because that brings people one step closer to looking at the way women are treated in the world. 

I'll tell you who's not a feminist, lazy unproductive twee sensation Annie Lennox, for trashing Veyonce for calling herself a feminist. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#33Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:12pm

FindingNamo said: "I'm happy to live in a world where it's cool and trendy to say you're feminist because that brings people one step closer to looking at the way women are treated in the world."

Oh, believe me, I think it's a great idea to have feminism in mainstream society, but when I say that I mean real feminism that actually focuses on gender equality and NOT the lazy, self-serving kind that is starting to get linked with the movement. If a celebrity is going to preach feminism, they have to actually mean it, not just say it to get good press, because otherwise people won't take it seriously, thus losing steam for the side of the movement that's actually trying to make some good changes.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Jay Lerner-Z
#34Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:13pm

Anyone who's not a feminist either doesn't know what a feminist is, or is a prick.

Also, when people say Taylor writes her own songs, I imagine it helps to have Max Martin, Shellback and Ryan Tedder collaborating with you, as they did on 1989. She only has one solo writing credit on that record, at least according to my extensive research on WikiPedia.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 8/26/15 at 01:13 PM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#35Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:13pm

What about the way Bey sold out Tina Turner with her "Eat the cake, Ida Mae" lyric?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#36Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:58pm

What about the way Bey sold out Tina Turner with her "Eat the cake, [replaced Ida] Anna Mae" lyric?

Man, I brought this up on a high school friend's post about an award show performance of Drunk In Love and how I thought it was disrespectful to Tina. She commented, "Yeah, you don't get it cause you are white. It's a METAPHOR!" Okay then. 

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Updated On: 8/26/15 at 01:58 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#37Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 2:21pm

I don't really have an opinion on Taylor, but I was surprised how much I loved Miley performing Melanie's (yes, that Melanie!) What Have They Done to My Song? with Melanie herself.

FindingNamo
#38Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 2:56pm

I'm only defending Beyoncé against Annie Lennox whom I abhor. 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#39Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 3:15pm

Uh-oh. What did Annie do?

I love her music.

....but the world goes 'round

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#40Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 4:24pm

Yeah, what did Annie do?  Aside from destroy every other performer at this past year's GRAMMYs by reminding us what true star presence was.  

As for Swifty, I am so pleased to be among others who don't get "it" either.  "Shake It Off" is great, sure, but the rest of her stuff is so bland and mediocre.  She represents something I find so disappointing today - that all mainstream pop music these days is so formulaic and lifeless with generic, overly compressed production/mixing.  And, yes, I know she writes her own songs.  Brava, Swifty, brava!  Just wish her supposed songwriting talent were more apparent to me.  

It's not that there isn't tons of great music being produced today - there is - you just have to dig a little deeper for it.  It's that the mainstream has become so homogenized.  I do find it a bit sad that "pop" music no longer seems to have any room for the rebels and the stars with a little roughness around the edge; a few of the right screws loose.  Don't forget, David Bowie was a MASSIVE pop star, Bjork was a pop star, Kate Bush was a pop star - well, moreso in the UK, but still. Today, if any of those artists were starting out, I DO think they would find success but it would be decidedly niche success.  I doubt any of them would be household names.  

Jay Lerner-Z
#41Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 4:31pm

Annie went off on a body-shaming  anti-twerking tirade a while back, can be a little preachy in a Bono-esque sort of way, and released an unimaginative album of standards last year - but apart from all that, she's not so bad in my view. She announced this week that her songwriting days are behind her, as she couldn't be bothered any more. Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#42Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 4:37pm

I'm sorry to hear that Annie considers writing music a bother.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#43Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 5:25pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Annie went off on a body-shaming  anti-twerking tirade a while back, can be a little preachy in a Bono-esque sort of way, and released an unimaginative album of standards last year - but apart from all that, she's not so bad in my view. She announced this week that her songwriting days are behind her, as she couldn't be bothered any more. Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?"

UGH.  That's a shame.  Annie seemed so much smarter than that.  I honestly haven't liked any of her recorded work since Diva, but this slut-shaming business is very disappointing.  

Jay Lerner-Z
#44Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 6:26pm

Maybe I missed the subtleties of her argument - hear it from her own mouth in this short clip from (my beloved) Charlie Rose.

Updated On: 8/26/15 at 06:26 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#45Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 6:41pm

I've been mostly bored by Annie for years, but I have to admit, I love her Christmas Cornucopia album, the likes of which I never expected her to produce.

As for Swift, Shake It Off is the only song I can think of that I like, but there are loads of artists that are adored by millions that I don't enjoy.  It happens all the time.  Like Marilyn Manson or Eminem.  Not my thing, but okay.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 8/26/15 at 06:41 PM

FindingNamo
#46Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 6:56pm

Her songwriting days have been over for eons. I was once on hold for tech support for three hours and the bodily waste that was her covers album played on an endless loop. That afforded me a non-consensual opportunity to give the album what people in literary circles would call a close read.  

She's soooooo lazy and never really does anything and coasts on her rep for being fierce. And trashing other women. And flouncing around in an HIV Positive t-shirt. Screw Annie Lennox. Screw Annie Lennox to HELLLLLLLLLL. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#47Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 8:21pm

^ Now that's settled...

Can someone explain the appeal of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to me?

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#48Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 8:33pm

^ One of the most popular wrestlers ever, really good actor within his "action hero" genre, extremely charismatic, able to poke fun at himself and his image, fun to watch on screen.  Hope that helps.

Jay Lerner-Z
#49Can someone explain the Taylor Swift appeal to me?
Posted: 8/26/15 at 8:34pm

Much obliged.

Videos