pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 102

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2525Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 11:22am

Oh Emma's finally happening? Let's be honest, two years and not that much initial buzz later, I'm sure this is a contractual obligation more than anything, I can only expect there's a bigger star coming in this summer.

I'd be happy to see her, but it'll hardly be a big event anymore. I can only hope it leads to bigger and better!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BCfitasafiddle
#2526Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 11:33am

June 6th - 19th? That's kinda sad. At least try to look like you care about her.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2527Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 11:35am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Emma Pittman will be making her Broadway debut as Roxie Hart for a strictly limited engagement!

June 6-19 ONLY
"

Why only two weeks? Maybe they're prepping her to go out on the tour this Fall?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#2528Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 12:19pm

I have a feeling the producers are using this as a test run to see whether she can sustain eight shows a week and if he's dependable.  I imagine, if she is, she'll be added to the list of actors who return to the Broadway and touring company inbetween celebrities.

TBH I think she's very talented and a great fit for the role.  I'd rather see her than a reality tv star any day.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2529Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 2:01pm

First of all, Emma Pittman's run hasn't been verified officially.  If it turns out to be true, that is a ridiculously short run for Pittman.  Only two weeks for her Broadway debut?   I know the Weisslers are very careful with their $$, but 2 weeks is insulting.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2530Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 2:07pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "First of all, Emma Pittman's run hasn't been verified officially. If it turns out to be true, that is a ridiculously short run for Pittman. Only two weeks for her Broadway debut? I know the Weisslers are very careful with their $$, but 2 weeks is insulting."

That's the same amount of weeks Bianca got for her Broadway debut. If she does well, she'll be back.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2531Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 6:23pm

It's official. Emma Pittman shared the  good news on her Instagram.   Also, i hope Lana Gordon can continue on as Velma Kelly during Emma's run as Roxie.  https://www.instagram.com/stories/emmapittmanofficial/2830763872948254057/

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 5/4/22 at 06:23 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2532Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 6:41pm

It could be a two week trial. If she does well, I do wonder if she'll do the tour this Fall? Maybe Chicago has another name coming in for the Summer?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2533Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/6/22 at 10:06am

Jennifer Holliday will join the Broadway cast as Matron “Mama” Morton!

June 9 - July 31

Oh look, a bibu!

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2534Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/7/22 at 3:09am

I know I’m disliked here but I’d love Bebe to come back as Billie Flynn

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2535Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/7/22 at 9:22am

I posted this one the SELL board, but I am selling 1 ticket for Thursday, May 12 at 7PM. Orchestra row B seat 4. Paid almost $100 including fees, but will accept $75. I double booked with A STRANGE LOOP thinking I could go on Telecharge and press that nifty little refund button only to find out that CHICAGO doesn't have that option... reached out to Telecharge and they are refusing to refund me.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2536Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/7/22 at 11:53am

JBradshaw said: "I know I’m disliked here but I’d love Bebe to come back as Billie Flynn"

You're disliked?   I will say that you are very knowledgeable about the show.  

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2537Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/7/22 at 12:59pm

So will this likely be all they do for summer in the way of bringing in a "name" for the show? I'm traveling to NYC late July. The hype around Pamela Anderson had me considering this as a Monday night option, but without a star Roxie I'll probably choose something else.

Updated On: 5/7/22 at 12:59 PM

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#2538Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/7/22 at 3:20pm

I saw Pamela last night and I thought she brought a fresh energy to the role and I thought that Lana really served as a great support to her. They both worked so well together! I also really enjoyed Silverman. I’ve seen this show at least 8 times with seasoned professionals and stunt casting. I can say that I’ve never thought anyone in the ensemble was walking through anything, because to do so would mean they all would have to agree to it, the nature of the choreography and the precision required do not allow for this to happen, difference in energy levels, maybe, but I’ve never seen anyone sleep walk through this show. Back to Pam, the mined the comedy in the role and found a lot of things others had not, her dancing perhaps surprised me the most, she kept up with Lana. Her vocals were the weakest link, but I thought she did better with the duets and was less successful with her solos and was more comfortable when singing with others- however, her Roxie number really worked for me. I think Chicago continues to be a wow of a show- it’s simple, the score is great, the story is timeless, and it’s still sexy as hell! 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2539Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/11/22 at 10:30pm

Jeff Gorti is on as Billy Flynn on Sunday, May 15th for both the 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. shows.

everythingtaboo
#2540Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/12/22 at 2:28pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "I’ve seen this show at least 8 times with seasoned professionals and stunt casting. I can say that I’ve never thought anyone in the ensemble was walking through anything, because to do so would mean they all would have to agree to it, the nature of the choreography and the precision required do not allow for this to happen, difference in energy levels, maybe, but I’ve never seen anyone sleep walk through this show."

I can tell you I've seen the show somewhere between 70-80 times over the years, and while it's very few and very far between, I've definitely seen a couple of real clunkers, energy and precision-wise. All in all, not a bad percentage! Those times, I will chalk it up to some very dead audience. I remember one particular Sunday matinee with a half-full audience, they were clearly just doing the show to entertain themselves.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2541Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/14/22 at 7:44am

I am beyond thrilled that "Chicago" is making a return to Austin from November 1-5, 2022 at our Bass Concert Hall.  The last time the show was in town was November 2013!  

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2542Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/26/22 at 3:28pm

When might they be expected to announce who is playing Roxie after Emma Pittman?

I see a new discount code is on BroadwayBox good through September 4: CHBBX22

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2543Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/31/22 at 2:01pm

https://fb.watch/dm4fQnKUrc/   A tiny clip of Emma Pittman rehearsing.  

everythingtaboo
#2544Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/31/22 at 3:45pm

Emma looks like she's doing great! Hopefully she can keep the momentum going a bit, the very aura of Pam is a tough act to follow. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2545Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/31/22 at 3:51pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://fb.watch/dm4fQnKUrc/ A tiny clip of Emma Pittman rehearsing."

Horrible.  She’d a lifeless robot all sharp and technical in her dancing.  Zero personality in her dancing, which is NOT Bob Fosse’s choreography.  If you look at footage of Chita and Gwen dancing the original “Hot Honey Rag”, they’re loose, carefree and sloppy - sheer Bob Fosse.  His process was to rehearse endlessly so the choreography became second nature.  Then he wanted it danced as you felt it - sloppy, loose, and natural looking.  He wanted to see the dancing NOT the choreography.  Emma is sharp and technical you can see the choreography.  THAT is not Bob Fosse’s work.  These folks teaching this new generation of technical dancers Bob Fosse’s work are doing it horribly.  Sadly, the Verdon Fosse Legacy has also lost its grip. 

everythingtaboo
#2546Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/31/22 at 4:05pm

BrodyFosse123, while I agree with you on a lot of that, shouldn't we wait to see how she is on stage first? I mean, she's still in rehearsal, so in that phase you discuss, and we're not even sure who will be her Velma, to see what their chemistry will be.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2547Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/31/22 at 4:40pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://fb.watch/dm4fQnKUrc/ A tiny clip of Emma Pittman rehearsing."

Horrible. She’d a lifeless robot all sharp and technical in her dancing. Zero personality in her dancing, which is NOT Bob Fosse’s choreography. If you look at footage of Chita and Gwen dancing the original “Hot Honey Rag”, they’re loose, carefree and sloppy - sheer Bob Fosse. His process was to rehearse endlessly so the choreography became second nature. Then he wanted it danced as you felt it - sloppy, loose, and natural looking. He wanted to see the dancing NOT the choreography. Emma is sharp and technical you can see the choreography. THAT is not Bob Fosse’s work. These folks teaching this new generation of technical dancers Bob Fosse’s work are doing it horribly. Sadly, the Verdon Fosse Legacy has also lost its grip.
"      Seriously?  All that from a 36 second clip??  You can't make a comparison with Chita and Gwen.  This is a r-e-h-e-a-r-s-a-l.  

BrodyFosse123
#2548Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/31/22 at 4:47pm

Her dance core is technical.  She’s been trained that way.  She’s a fantastic dancer.  I’m not taking that away from her.  But she isn’t executing Bob Fosse’s subtext intentions.  Look at Liza.  Look at Gwen.  Look at Chita.  Look at Ann Reinking.   Look at Ben Vereen.  They dance very loose and natural - not sharp and technical when they do Bob Fosse’s choreography.  Emma is a fantastic dancer.  Just not a Fosse dancer.  

BrodyFosse123
#2549Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/31/22 at 4:51pm

Here is Chita and Gwen.  You’ll see they’re not in sync and they’re sloppy and messy.  THIS is Bob Fosse!  He loved personalities not technical dancers. They are NOT hard, sharp, and technical.  This new generation of dancers are robotic.  

Videos