pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 104

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2575Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/11/22 at 3:49pm

Surprised to see Bianca back, even as Roxie. Wasn't she dealing with injuries while playing Velma? Sounds like they're running out of vets to bring back to the show. Charlotte appears done performing. Dylis is doing DANCIN', Terra has tapped out of Chicago. Maybe Emma returns in the Fall? Their Velmas seem like slim pickings after Lana leaves in September. Probably gonna go with AFW unfortunately again.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BCfitasafiddle
#2576Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/11/22 at 3:52pm

Why aren't they casting new Velma's? There are Broadway triple threats all over. Not like any of the regular Velma's are draws anyway. Cast new people!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2577Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/11/22 at 6:32pm

Yeah, I don't understand the lack of new casting for Velma. When was the last time they had a brand new Velma?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2578Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/12/22 at 1:27am

someone brand new? 
Luba way way back? 
Mya almost happened. 

Bianca was kinda a new Velma. 

Amy Spanger, a fav Roxie, was a Velma standby once - never went on - would of LOVED to seen her take on Velma. 

It’s honestly been Amra, Brenda, Terra and some Lana forever. 

Phantom4ever
#2579Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/12/22 at 4:26pm

I finally saw the show tonight for the first time since February 2020. I certainly had forgotten how much I missed it. The new CHICAGO backdrops look so sharp! 

The only blocking difference I noticed was Roxie's first entrance is now from stage right instead of upstage center? And I felt like perhaps a few of the moves before All That Jazz were different. I distinctly remember 3 ensemble men entering from stage right with bowler hats about halfway through the Overture, and now there are only two. 

Emma Pittman was an excellent Roxie, even though she definitely missed some of the humor in the Roxie monologue, especially the "older than I ever intended to be" line. But otherwise she was great; I always appreciate any Roxie that doesn't need diluted version of Me and My Baby. 

The ensemble! So many new faces in the ensemble! They were on fire Saturday night. I did sit in the front row, so I got to see every wink and eyebrow raise and lip pursing that they did. I wonder if people who sit further back don't see those subtle things and that's why they think the ensemble is bored sometimes? My favorite new addition is Jeff Gorti.  And Celina Nightingale. 

I realize Jennifer Holliday is a legend, but the women who normally play Mama Morton are much stronger singers and funnier in the role. She was a sweetheart Morton. 

Congrats to Evan Harrington who lost a ton of weight over the pandemic. I didn't even recognize him as Piangi from Phantom or Brian from Avenue Q anymore. 

I know the former conductor, Leslie Stifleman, was embroiled in controversy, but I liked the way she kept the audience in their seats for the post show play off and got everybody to kind of jam along. Rob Bowman does not do that, and when I stayed to the end of the orchestra's playing, there were ushers yelling "time to go home!  show's over!  thanks for coming!"  as there were just a handful of us who stayed.  My how times have changed. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2580Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/12/22 at 6:11pm

Rob Bowman was the conductor that Chicago needed after the sad events of the summer of 2018.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2581Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/14/22 at 9:18pm

Chicago at the Muny.  https://youtu.be/QmvrZogyLJs

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#2582Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 9:28am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/Chicago/Overview

Emma Pittman (thru June 19)

Lana Gordon (thru September 11)

Ryan Silverman (thru July 31)

Jennifer Holiday (thru September 11)

Evan Harrington (thru September 11)

R. Lowe (thru September 11)

I wonder who'll replace Emma Pittman and Lana Gordon? There are plenty of Roxie's to choose from, but very few available Velmas.
"

I hope Emma Pittman will come back as Roxie! I actually thought back when they had the Roxie search in 2019 she'd be Roxie for more than 2 weeks. 

Who do you think will replace R. Lowe? Every single time I've watched CHICAGO on Broadway, R Lowe performed as Mary Sunshine so I think they had the role for the past 10-12 years?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2583Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 10:26am

Emma has garnered ZERO buzz for CHICAGO.  Aside from those even aware of that Roxie competition show (I wasn’t, and I follow Broadway), no one has any clue who she is or if she’s supposed to be some “big deal.”  I’m sure this 2 week run was stipulated in her winning contract so the Weisslers finally got that over and done with after keeping this girl waiting forever.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2584Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 12:01pm

All you have to do is look at Chicago's grosses from last week. That's exactly why she only got a two week run. Not that Bianca will do any better for sales. I still wonder if Emma will do the tour for a stretch?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#2585Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 12:02pm

Broadwaycom on youtube had 5 episodes entitled "Search for Roxie" back in fall 2019. I'll admit I was excited to see Emma Pittman on Broadway when they announced her as the winner back in Jan 2020. I think a lot of the attention lately has been on Pamela Anderson to the point where people forgot Emma Pittman the winner of the "Search for Roxie" was going to perform after Pamela ends her run.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2586Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 12:39pm

It would be wonderful to see the fabulous Leigh Zimmerman as Velma Kelly.  https://youtu.be/mgjcVH6k8lk

Updated On: 6/19/22 at 12:39 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2587Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 1:04pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "It would be wonderful to see the fabulous Leigh Zimmerman as Velma Kelly.https://youtu.be/mgjcVH6k8lk"

Not this summer. I believe she's doing A Chorus Line again at Pittsburgh CLO.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2588Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 6:55pm

Leigh Zimmerman will be involved with A Chorus Line from July 26-31.  She could go on as Velma Kelly sometime aftewards.  She last did the role in 2017.

Updated On: 6/20/22 at 06:55 PM

Raspberry Profile Photo
Raspberry
#2589Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/19/22 at 10:20pm

Wick3 said: "

Who do you think will replace R. Lowe? Every single time I've watched CHICAGO on Broadway, R Lowe performed as Mary Sunshine so I think they had the role for the past 10-12 years?"

I caught Pam's final Friday earlier this month, and the standby J London was on for Mary.  He sang it beautifully, was very funny, and his larger build also made for a funnier reveal, as opposed to R. Lowe, who's a much smaller guy.  Always fun to see someone new after so many years of one performer, as talented as Ryan Lowe is.  If they're looking for a successor, London would be very solid IMO. 

I don't think that's necessarily Lowe's actual end date though.  Seems to just be as far out as they're announcing on Telecharge. 

"I just want a story and a few good songs that will take me away. I just want to be entertained. I mean, isn't that the point?"

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2590Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 4:37pm

Emma Pittman will continue as Roxie through 6/28, with Bianca Marroquin instead covering Lana Gordon as Velma from 6/21 - 6/28, after which she'll take over as Roxie alongside Lana.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/202373/emma-pittman-to-continue-as-roxie-hart-in-chicago-on-broadway/

Updated On: 6/20/22 at 04:37 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2591Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 4:38pm

Per her Instagram Emma has been extended for another week as Roxie. 

As to the last truly new Velma, that would be the fabulous Carly Hughes who did it opposite Jennifer Nettles.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#2592Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 5:37pm

I caught Emma on Saturday and she was perfectly at home on the stage of the Ambassador.  She did the job like a seasoned professional and her Roxie had a lot of pathos and humor.  They're lucky to have her!

I sincerely hope that she's added to the cycle of Roxies that they bring in between celebrities.  I have no doubt she has a wonderful career ahead of her.  :)

A big shout out to the rest of the company, especially the ensemble who were firing on all canisters and offering a collective performance that was high energy and vibrant.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2593Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 6:13pm

Emma Pittman could conceivably be the Cellblock Tour Roxie, once it starts in the Fall.  Maybe I'll get a chance to see Emma as Roxie, when the tour stops in Austin from Nov 1-5.  smiley

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2594Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 7:04pm

Lana Jean announcing today on IG that she's out with COVID through the 30th, and Emma will be playing her extended run opposite Bianca! 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BCfitasafiddle
#2595Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 8:46pm

They can't put an understudy on for Velma? I don't get this show at all.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2596Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 9:46pm

My heart goes out to Jessica Ernest (Roxie Hart understudy).  Last week, she posted on Instagram that she would be Roxie Hart on June 20th.  That changed, obviously.  

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2597Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 10:10pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "My heart goes out to Jessica Ernest (Roxie Hart understudy). Last week, she posted on Instagram that she would be Roxie Hart on June 20th. That changed, obviously."

That’s why you don’t count your chickens until they hatched.  This younger generation get all excited and share news THEN look foolish having to backtrack when what they boasted about ain’t happening no more.  The seasoned actors learned the hard way until you’re on that stage taking your curtain call at the end of the performance, nothing is a done deal and anything can change until then.  No one talks nor shares anything.  Filmed pilots don’t get picked up.  You get let go second day you’re shooting a film.  The guest spot you landed on a hit sitcom gets cut during the table read.  It’s endless.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2598Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/20/22 at 10:50pm

I was looking at the list of touring shows on Playbill.com.  I'm very disappointed that "Chicago" is the only one that hasn't publicized their upcoming touring information.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2599Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:10am

Kudos to Emma for getting another week. But who was Velma? From what I know, Bianca wasn't actually starting until Thursday.

Videos