pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 11

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#250SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 9:34am

I wasn't able to snag a ticket to first preview before it sold out, and the resale prices are insane, so if anyone needs to part with a single ticket for first preview I would love to take it off your hands. :)

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#251SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 11:57am

CindersGolightly said: "I wasn't able to snag a ticket to first preview before it sold out, and the resale prices are insane, so if anyone needs to part with a single ticket for first preview I would love to take it off your hands. :)"

Some premium 3rd row seats just popped up! Still extremely expensive but at least you wouldnt be giving to scalpers!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#252SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 12:56pm

Trying to buy a ticket. Tickets for the first month are insane, but then in April there's plenty of seats available in much more affordable prices.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#253SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:03pm

I do wonder if the musical will be able to sustain sold out houses throughout the run. As just mentioned, the first month is very sold but April and forward are not sold very much.

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#254SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:12pm

Alex M said: "I do wonder if the musical will be able to sustain sold out houses throughout the run. As just mentioned, the first month is very sold but April and forward are not sold very much."

Could it be -- at least based on my experience at least -- most people simply just aren't looking to buy tickets so far in advanced anymore? Most of my ticket-buying habits as of late have been purchasing tickets no more than 1 month prior to a performance. The interest and hype is definitely there, so perhaps most people just are waiting until certain factors (i.e. the economy, personal life matters, etc.) fall into place before purchasing these (really expensive) tickets.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#255SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:13pm

I wouldn’t underestimate Groban’s fanbase. 
Also, after the 2007 film, the title is much more familiar to the general public now.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#256SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:14pm

AKarp2013 said: "Alex M said: "I do wonder if the musical will be able to sustain sold out houses throughout the run. As just mentioned, the first month is very sold but April and forward are not sold very much."

Could it be -- at least based on my experience at least -- most people simply just aren't looking to buy tickets so far in advanced anymore? Most of my ticket-buying habits as of late have been purchasing tickets no more than 1 month prior to a performance. The interest and hype is definitely there, so perhaps most people just are waiting until certain factors (i.e. the economy, personal life matters, etc.) fall into place before purchasing these (really expensive) tickets.
"

I am exactly the same way, just in the past (and even recently with music man) shows with big stars were extremely well sold for months in advance. I know Groban is no Jackman but he still has a massive fan base. Updated On: 2/21/23 at 01:14 PM

CindersGolightly
#257SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:18pm

Alex M said: "CindersGolightly said: "I wasn't able to snag a ticket to first preview before it sold out, and the resale prices are insane, so if anyone needs to part with a single ticket for first preview I would love to take it off your hands. :)"

Some premium 3rd row seats just popped up! Still extremely expensive but at least you wouldnt be giving to scalpers!
"

Ugh. Saw this too late and they're gone now. Thanks for the heads up anyway, Alex!! Much appreciated.

Updated On: 2/21/23 at 01:18 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#258SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:24pm

When a well-known classic musical is revived, it's not a surprise for it to do $1M+ in its first 6-10 weeks, maybe a little longer. After that is when you need to start scrutinizing the numbers. Look at COMPANY, COLOR PURPLE, CAROUSEL, FIDDLER, SAIGON, Beanie's early weeks in FUNNY GIRL, etc. They all start strong and drop off when the audience is exhausted. So it's just a question of how much that will drop with Groban. Reviews & awards might help, and his fanbase nicely overlaps with Broadway's key demos, but it probably requires consistent sellouts at full-price + extensions to make actual money. COMET was solidly in the $900k-1.3M range for the length of Groban's run, which is of course encouraging since SWEENEY should be a hotter title than that.

We should not put any stock in the film driving significant interest. If a film could really drive interest to full-price Broadway sales, then ALMOST FAMOUS, FROZEN, GROUNDHOG DAY, and BEETLEJUICE might still be running.

SWEENEY is oft-revived and oft-filmed. If people are interested in the property but don't love Groban or Ashford, you can choose to watch Lansbury & Hearn, LuPone & Hearn, Thompson & Terfel, Depp & Carter, or any number of YouTube videos.

Updated On: 2/21/23 at 01:24 PM

Songofpurplesummer2
#259SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:28pm

Yes! Ticketmaster just released about 12 tickets per show in Rows B and C in right and left Orch for the first two weeks of performances. Waiting paid off, I got Row B on on the aisle :)

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#260SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:38pm

I've never sat in the Lunt-Fontainne before. Do people recommend the rear orchestra or mezzanine?

yyys
#261SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:38pm

$399? That's ticketmaster's dynamic (scalping) price.  Comparable seats prob originally sold for $250?

Songofpurplesummer2 said: "Yes! Ticketmaster just released about 12 tickets per show in Rows B and C in right and left Orch for the first two weeks of performances. Waiting paid off, I got Row B on on the aisle :)"

JasonC3
#262SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:40pm

At these prices, I am in no hurry to buy ... as much as I would enjoy seeing this.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#263SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:40pm

I got my friend orchestra B center for the first preview for $249 the other day.

CindersGolightly
#264SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:44pm

TaffyDavenport said: "I got my friend orchestra B center for the first preview for $249 the other day."

How do I become your friend?!? Haha.

TaffyDavenport
#265SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:46pm

Ha! I'll let you know when I'm taking applications. smiley

CindersGolightly
#266SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 2:15pm

Is it possible that they'll open box seats for first preview sometime this week? I was thinking about going down to the box office to see but I don't want to waste my time if there's no chance.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#267SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 2:55pm

I hate Ticketmaster. Haven’t been able to buy any tickets. Keep getting error message.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#268SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:25pm

CindersGolightly said: "Is it possible that they'll open box seats for first preview sometime this week? I was thinking about going down to the box office to see but I don't want to waste my time if there's no chance."

I don't think this theater has box seats?

TaffyDavenport
#269SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:36pm

Yes, there are box seats, and some of the are on there for resale for the second and third previews. Not sure what the regular price was though, and they're not labeled as partial view.

Updated On: 2/21/23 at 03:36 PM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#270SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:59pm

Apparently there is a production of Sweeney happening now in Sweden. I went on the website and interestly the set design also uses circular portals. I'm sure the Broadway design will end up looking very different but I do like what they are doing in the Swedish production. 

You can click the arrows to look at the photos on the main page of the website:

https://www.operan.se/en/repertoire/sweeney-todd/

yyys
#271SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 4:44pm

There's also one at Signature Theater in Virginia. 

TaffyDavenport
#272SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 4:57pm

Resale box seats are there for the first preview now, too. Maybe I missed them when they were standard tickets, but I have a feeling they might be there due to Ticketmaster's usual backroom dirty dealing.

bear88
#273SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 11:13pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "When a well-known classic musical is revived, it's not a surprise for it to do $1M+ in its first 6-10 weeks, maybe a little longer. After that is when you need to start scrutinizing the numbers. Look at COMPANY, COLOR PURPLE, CAROUSEL, FIDDLER, SAIGON, Beanie's early weeks in FUNNY GIRL,etc. They all start strong and drop off when the audience is exhausted. So it's just a question of how much that will drop with Groban. Reviews & awards might help, and his fanbase nicely overlaps with Broadway's key demos, but it probably requires consistent sellouts at full-price + extensions to make actual money. COMET was solidly in the $900k-1.3M range for the length of Groban's run, which is of course encouraging since SWEENEY should be a hotter title than that.

We should not put any stock in the film driving significant interest. If a film couldreallydrive interest to full-price Broadway sales, thenALMOST FAMOUS, FROZEN, GROUNDHOG DAY, and BEETLEJUICE might still be running.

SWEENEY is oft-revived and oft-filmed. If people are interested in the property but don't love Groban or Ashford, you can choose to watch Lansbury & Hearn, LuPone & Hearn, Thompson & Terfel, Depp & Carter, or any number of YouTube videos.
"

I have taken note of the frenzy for the first few weeks, and the drop-off after that, and assumed that a lot of the audience is there is to see a major revival (with a full orchestra) of one of Sondheim’s most famous musicals. Josh Groban helps, as he brings in a fan base too. (I happen to be going to New York City in mid-March - the only time I can go for a while - so I had to move more than quickly than I expected and consider myself fortunate that I did.)

But I have never assumed Sweeney Todd will be the box office draw of The Music Man with Hugh Jackman or anything close to that even if the reviews are great. It’s a Sondheim revival, which means there will be intense interest for a while, which will likely fade. I would be very pleased to be wrong but decades of history says I’m probably not. I think the people who have bemoaned the high ticket prices will have little trouble getting good tickets in a few months, and maybe by April or May (or later if word of mouth is good).

Just wait, everyone. You’ll end up with better seats than me, and not on a Wednesday evening, and you’ll probably pay less.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#274SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 11:30pm

This board was also predicting Kimberly Akimbo would barely survive opening night. 

I’m encouraged for Sweeney’s run, but it’s too hard to predict the longevity of a production we haven’t seen yet. Anything can happen from word of mouth and reviews, good or bad. 

I think we need to take into account Fisher and Matarazzo selling some tickets.  Also, Ashford has been making quite the name for herself in television. 

Videos