#275Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/8/15 at 1:43am

The 10 pm one didn't.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#276Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/8/15 at 2:02am

I was also at the 7pm show tonight. During the dialogue prior to Wicked Little Town, Shannon helped JCM tie an ice pack to his knee with the shroud of Hedwig towel. I believe during Wig in a Box he whispered a request to Shannon for the ice pack as she'd removed her ear piece to listen to him.

LightsOut90
#277Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/8/15 at 4:58am

good thing their dark sunday and monday so John can recover without missing more shows.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#278Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/8/15 at 9:13pm

Hope Mitchell makes a speedy recovery.

I saw the 10pm show Friday night and I'm still in awe. I enjoyed NPH as Hedwig very much, but now the show IS Hedwig. There is no distance between performer and role here. It's not John Cameron Mitchell is playing Hedwig. It's just Hedwig, barely standing in front of you.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#279Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/8/15 at 9:24pm

They don't do shows on Tuesday either, so really he hurt himself at the right time being that he doesn't have an understudy.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#280Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/8/15 at 9:25pm

Kad, that's pretty much exactly what I said after I saw his first performance. I truly felt like I wasn't watching acting, just someone existing onstage...and yet it's also an incredibly theatrical performance. I don't know that I've ever seen a performer and role meld so seamlessly.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#281Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/8/15 at 9:37pm

"They don't do shows on Tuesday either, so really he hurt himself at the right time being that he doesn't have an understudy."

Yes they do have shows on Tuesday.

And Kad, I completely agree

mollyml052
#282Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/9/15 at 11:03am

I flew in from Chicago for the weekend specifically to see JCM in this role. I had tickets for the 10pm show on Saturday night. Not sure if I'll be able to make it back during his run. Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#283Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/9/15 at 7:16pm

Oh Molly, not fair. So happy to read the raves in here, apparently he has still got it.

Stephanatic

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#284Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:22am

The show just tweeted they're on tonight as scheduled with JCM.

Anyone going? Curious if they modify anything to accommodate the injury.

Emmaloucbway
#285Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:38pm

Did anyone go tonight? Did JCM modify anything because of his knee?

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#286Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:46pm

According to several people on Twitter, he wore a leg brace, so I'm guessing they had to modify quite a bit.

paphillyguy
#287Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:52pm

I was there tonight. The entire show was restaged today. He was in a full leg brace. Very little dancing. He sat mostly in a high chair with his leg up. The box office said they had in 8 hrs today restaged the show and wrote the injury into the show. They also said we were seeing a one of a kind show and if his knee and brace don't hold up he may be out for a bit. He seemed on fire tonight and was great. It added a very different dimmension to the show. He did seem to be in some pain throughout. Lena was unbelievably helpful. I do think the energy of course was lower but it allowed for JCM to shine with his acting. I am glad I got to see it but sad I didn't get to see it how it was originally intended. The audience was very supportive.

Tking0012
#288Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:00pm

I hope he gets better soon.
I do however wonder if he needs to be out for an extended period of time if they would just cut his run short or bring in an understudy for him, till he is well enough to go on.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#289Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:06pm

Thank you so much for the info! So how does he enter now - I assume not from the ceiling?

paphillyguy
#290Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:14pm

He is carried on stage in the full outfit by two stage hands. He really was a trooper. Instead of going into the audience he had a guy from the audience come on stage. He did start the show by saying he had been assulted on the street and we were now in for a very interesting show. Flying by the seat of their pants if you will. But I will say his singing was phenomenal

Updated On: 2/10/15 at 11:14 PM

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#291Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

Has anyone heard what specific knee injury he has?

paphillyguy
#292Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

I saw NPH and MCH and by far JCM is Hedwig. The other two were great but John is Hedwig injury and all

Updated On: 2/10/15 at 11:14 PM

evic
#293Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:28pm

If Danny Kaye could do Two By Two in a wheelchair then JCM can do this in a leg brace. But I am sure a lot of the energy of the show is diminished. What a trooper!

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#294Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/11/15 at 7:50am

I am so sorry if this has been asked before, but how is the Belasco's visibility from further back? If I were to grab a mezz or balcony ticket, would the sightlines be impacted/would the show be less impactful? Thanks so much!

Roscoe
#295Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/11/15 at 8:49am

Saw it last night -- Mitchell's fabulousness is undiminished, even in a full leg brace. Lena Hall does a lot of heavy lifting, making sure his leg is supported, getting him water and so on, definitely deserving some kind of special "GOOD SPORT" Tony award.

Mitchell seemed in very good spirits, seemingly doing a lot of improvising. A line about James Franco enjoying all the privileges of homosexuality with none of the responsibilities has managed to stick in my mind.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#296Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:00am

He does a lot of improvising, but the James Franco line is not new. I hope JCM recovers soon! Knee problems can be tricky.

Roscoe
#297Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:02am

I was wondering about that one, thanks for clarifying.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#298Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:06am

I'm tempted to ask a million questions about the restaging, but I'm going tomorrow night so I'll try wait it out. I'm sad that the original staging is out for a while and I dearly hope he improves enough to return to it at some point. Knee injuries can take forever to heal if you're just sitting on your couch, let alone hauling your ass out to perform every night. Is it better to do the show in this condition for a month or six weeks (or longer), or to shut it down for a few weeks and then come back full strength? I'm sure they considered it (and may still be). Perhaps the knee brace and lack of movement is just an abundance of caution. He did walk out of the theater on Friday walk and climb into his SUV unassisted, albeit with a limp and a cane.

I'm glad he seems to be in good spirits - its got to be frustrating to not be able to enter from the rafters, car wash, pop in and out of the car or do any of the choreography that makes it Hedwig. But as someone on Twitter said on Friday, JCM could sit on a stool and sing the songs and it would still be the best show you've ever seen.

Guess that was rather prophetic...

Updated On: 2/11/15 at 09:06 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#299Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:33am

I can't speak to the specifics of JCM's injury, but being able to walk with a limp and a cane doesn't signify much. A few years back I dislocated my knee and after it happened, I was still able to walk with a limp, but to heal I needed crutches and later a knee brace. So whatever injury he has, it could still not be very good.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos