pixeltracker

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton - Page 12

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton

Alexander Lamar
#275Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 6:48pm

LOL @ some of the comments on this thread. 

I was going to say... I don't even want to know how some of you act during contract and offer negotiations for your own employment. It's show business. It's not personal. Many of you need to stop treating it something it's not.

Clearly most of them never have had to do this. 

SFFrontRow
#276Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 6:49pm

Dupe post. Deleted text.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 06:49 PM

SFFrontRow
#277Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 6:54pm

I am finding him to be a little ungracious. He was on Bravo's Watch what happens and wasn't very gracious about SMASH. Don't know what kind of axe he has to grind with them, but dude, it's been 2 years. 

And, oh gee, I guess he's gonna show the Hamilton producers by not being in their filmed stage version. So, who loses on that one Leslie? Like no one but you and the fans.

He was good in it, but not THAT good. Let's just see how his album sells. And this cautionary note, Jennifer Holiday was all that and more in the original Dreamgirls, but what else has she done of national note? And I think they replaced her just fine in (1) the original production and (2) the movie (didn't another Jennifer win an Oscar?).

Only time will tell on this one.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 06:54 PM

Broadwayhunk Profile Photo
Broadwayhunk
#278Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 7:48pm

I doubt the producers give one whit about replacing any of the leads since they are advertising for people with no experience necessary.  Anyone can talk over a booming beat and call it art.

aaaaaa15
#279Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 7:49pm

No, not anyone can do what Leslie can do in that role. I'm sure there are people out there that could be as good, but far from 'anyone'.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#280Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:27pm

I really think people are overreacting. For anything, Leslie has been the one cast member (other than Lin) to really make himself a home in the community - he did that festival, a Broadway.com vlog, performed at award shows, and is friends with quite a few people.

We'll find out when they film, but I think it is a misunderstanding.

indytallguy
#281Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:44pm

Broadwayhunk said: "I doubt the producers give one whit about replacing any of the leads since they are advertising for people with no experience necessary.  Anyone can talk over a booming beat and call it art."

Well this gives me just the nudge I needed to attend a casting call.

SMH.

aaaaaa15
#282Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:12pm

Right? If we can all do as well as the OBC, let's all go and audition and get cast in the biggest Broadway musical in decades!

ChiTheaterFan
#283Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:14pm

What about actors in PLAYS?  I mean they just have to get up on stage and TALK. I could totally do that. I don't even know why there's a Tony for it. 

Margo319
#284Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:13pm

"He was on Bravo's Watch what happens and wasn't very gracious about SMASH. Don't know what kind of axe he has to grind with them, but dude, it's been 2 years. "

What?  Everyone knows behind the scenes of that show was horrible and he was classy with his answer "it wasnt that great".  Because it was not.  Everyone knows that.  It was laughable television that everyone hate watched.  It became a joke.  Other actors on that show have said much, much worse.  

Updated On: 6/24/16 at 10:13 PM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#285Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:34pm

Talk about the suffocating amount of bigotry in this thread. Bottom line: don't be the grandma / aunt / grandpa / uncle that you don't want to tell you what you should and should not do every step of the way or make decisions for you. 

chi-town_bwayfangirl
#286Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:26pm

I just don't think the offer could be THAT terrible if everyone else is going to be in it (and Groff rearranged his schedule), unless of course those folks are still in negotiations too, but just haven't blabbed about it. 

A.Ham2
#287Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:14am

Stop turning Leslie leaving into something it isn't. Him leaving doesn't mean that he's ungracious. It doesn't make him selfish or rude. It doesn't mean that he doesn't care about the show. There are a million reasons why he might've decided to leave, and only he knows those reasons. The man has been playing Burr for so long, perhaps he needs a break from the role. People talk a great deal about how he should renew just because he won the Tony, however some folks don't keep in mind that Hamilton opened very early in the season, after a run at the public almost 2 years ago. The man is allowed to leave without being accused of being ungracious. 

Updated On: 6/24/16 at 12:14 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#288Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:18am

it's been like 18 months (minus the break before Broadway), that's not THAT long. those stars of Aladdin have been there for several years now.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 6/24/16 at 12:18 AM

bear88
#289Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 1:05am

I know that Odom brought up the possibility of not being in the filmed performances himself, but is there any new information aside from that impossible-to-decipher tweet?

I will concede that I am much too interested in whether Odom (and everyone else) is in a filmed performance that might not see the light of day for years. My selfish interest is that everyone be in it, because I'd be happy to pay for a high-quality recording of the show. 

In the end, it's not up to me, but I have an opinion. The producers see the show selling out for the next year on Broadway with only Javier Munoz named, and for six months in Chicago with no names attached at all. They probably don't feel the need to placate Odom or anyone else in the original cast with extra money, because the show is the star, blah blah blah. 

But wasn't the point of recording the original cast, bringing back Groff, to replicate - as best as they can - the show as it existed in 2016? Not including the Tony-winning co-star seems like it defeats that purpose. 

I realize it's possible that Odom may be making unreasonable demands or something. But given his oft-stated love of playing Burr, I find it hard to believe that he would pass up an opportunity to be in the recorded performance unless he feels he is being treated unfairly. 

On the bright side, my wife and daughters got me the cast recording for Father's Day. I will always have that, regardless of how this particular little mini-drama plays out.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#290Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 2:11am

I'm surprised that so many people are on the 1% side. Goes to show how much brainwashing has permeated the working class. He's petty, he's ungrateful, he's .... but the rich people are just doing business? Then you're - good luck with your crappy jazz music. Huh? Why would you wish him bad or diss him? 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#291Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 5:13am

They aren't really. ...they are on own their own side. ...booohoo, I don't get to see Leslie, how dare he not make me happy.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

schubox
#292Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 5:51am

dramamama611 said: "They aren't really. ...they are on own their own side. ...booohoo, I don't get to see Leslie, how dare he not make me happy.  

"

This is exactly what it is. People want him in the filmed version or for when they have tickets, so the chance of him not being there upsets them. That's understandable, but to use that as a reason to say he's a bad person or is selfish is ridiculous. Selfishly of course I want him to be in the filmed version, and honestly I think he might regret not doing it, but it's his decision and he obviously knows much more about the situation than any of us. He has to do what is best for him.

Updated On: 6/24/16 at 05:51 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#293Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 6:03am

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#294Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 7:10am

Maybe it's just me, but if I was an actor and saw what happened to Anton Yelchin, I'd be desperate for my work to be preserved somewhere permanently.  Leslie can say "Eh, I don't think I'll be in the filmed version of 'Hamilton', not enough money,"  but if he gets hit by a meteor next week a lot of people are going to say, "Damn, that's a shame, his one chance to immortalize his performance as Aaron Burr and he passed it up because of money. Now he's gone and we've got nothing."

I mean, sure, he has a lot of other chances to hit it big (maybe), but it just seems to me that if you have a role that clicks with people and makes you huge there's something in it you maybe need to put down somewhere so future generations can see it and be impressed.  To paraphrase what LMM said, we're not promised tomorrow.

Oh well! There's always the bootlegs.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#295Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 7:21am

I don't think it's that selfish for a fan of a musical that has announced it is being filmed professionally (which is pretty darn rare to begin with) to hope for the complete cast to be there. if they had waited ten years like I thought they would, then sure, who really cares who is in the cast. but if it's the original cast they're attempting to film, it should be the complete original cast. not some understudies filling in because the producers couldn't do what they had to do to ensure the filming would be accurate.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

paphillyguy
#296Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 8:48am

Perhaps, he isn't being offered what he feels is fair for a performance that will eventually make money for someone

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#297Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:00am

gypsy101 said: "not some understudies filling in because the producers couldn't do what they had to do to ensure the filming would be accurate."

Do you think they should've achieved some crazy logistical feats to include Betsy Struxness and Emmy Raver-Lampman as well, then?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

neonlightsxo
#298Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:20am

Broadwayhunk said: "I doubt the producers give one whit about replacing any of the leads since they are advertising for people with no experience necessary.  Anyone can talk over a booming beat and call it art."

You seem fun.

Liza's Headband
#299Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:21am

I don't think it's that selfish for a fan of a musical that has announced it is being filmed professionally (which is pretty darn rare to begin with) to hope for the complete cast to be there.

It's actually super selfish. You should probably look up the word in the dictionary. These actors are not performing for you. They're performing to make a living, to get a paycheck and to advance their careers. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. When you express disappointment, anger or frustration, and then proceed to place those negative feelings on to the actor in question, you are making the situation only about you... and what you care about. That is selfish. 

Videos