pixeltracker

Sleep No More is AMAZING- Page 15

Sleep No More is AMAZING

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#350Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/20/11 at 11:47am

Thanks for posting. Only 2 of those tracks are actually used in the show, though.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

LauLau79
#351Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/20/11 at 10:37pm

: ( I thought I found a gem. But at least you guys like it, hopefully as much as I do!!

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#352Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/23/11 at 5:15pm

Saw this last Saturday at the late performance, and all I can say is, "WOW". I don't believe that I've ever experienced anything remotely like this. I can't stop thinking about it, either.

I sure hope I can make it back to see more of the show. I followed Macbeth for about 1/2 a cycle and lost him in the crowd on the stairs, but caught most of the rest of his cycle later, did some exploring on the 5th floor, and did lots of random other things. We saw the 2 males do the pas-de-deux near the phone booth (twice). I believe one was the male witch, but who was the other character that ends up dead? So many other questions, but I’ll let them run around in my head.

My only quibble was the banquet scene takes forever to play out. After seeing it all 3 times, I hope never to see it again. Otherwise, it was great and truly memorable experience. Thanks to BWW for I don't think I would have found out about this one.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#353Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/23/11 at 10:10pm

Can anyone post a cast list?

upinthegods
#354Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/24/11 at 6:04pm

There are two casts - and some performers play multiple roles.

Virtually the entire Boston cast reprise their roles and they are listed in the Wikipedia entry for the Boston show. Much of the second cast were listed in the New York Times review. So putting the two lists together yields the list below. It is probably incorrect - perhaps someone can correct it?

Eric Jackson-Bradley, Nicholas Bruder as Macbeth
Luke Murphy, John Sorensen-Jolink as Macduff
Phil Atkins, as Duncan
Robert Najarian as Malcolm
Jeffery Lyon as Banquo
Thomas Kee, Matthew Oaks as Porter
Tori Sparks, Sophie Bortolussi as Lady Macbeth
Alli Ross as Lady Macduff
Jordan Morley as Witch
Stephanie Eaton, Ching-I Chang as Witch
Kelly Bartnik, Hope T Davis as Witch
Careena Melia as Hecate
Poornima Kirby as The Second Mrs. de Winter
Alexander LaFrance as Bellhop/Taxidermist
Sogdiana Azhiben, Paul Singh as Speakeasy Bartender
Annie Goodchild as Annie Darcy
Hayley Jane Soggin as Elsie Price
Matt Spano as Charlie, Man in Bar
Lucy York as Matron.

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#355Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/25/11 at 12:59am

Here's the cast list from the last time I went, at the end of May. It's slightly different from the last one posted:
Duncan- Phil Atkins
Bald Witch/Catherine Campbell- Kelly Bartnik, Hope T. Davis
Lady Macbeth/Agnes Naismith- Sophie Bortolussi, Tori Sparks
Macbeth/Rehearsal Director- Eric Jackson Bradley
Macbeth/Porter- Nicholas Bruder
Sexy Witch/Nurse Shaw- Ching-I Chang, Stephanie Eaton
Banquo/J. Fulton- Gabriel Forestieri, Jeffery Lyon
Hecate- Careena Melia
Boy Witch/Speakeasy Barman- Jordan Morley, Paul Singh
Macduff/Bellhop/Mr. Bargarran- Luke Murphy, John Sorensen-Jolnik
Porter/Orderly/Understudy- Matthew Oaks
Malcolm- Rob Najarian
Lady Macduff/Matron- Alli Ross, Lucy York (also listed as Understudy)

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#356Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/25/11 at 9:27pm

I've heard it is quite hot inside the hotel when experiencing SLEEP NO MORE. Is it OK to wear shorts? I am extremely warm-blooded, so I will likely be dressing as cooly as possible when I attend (Sat 7/16 late show). Thanks for any insights from those of you who have already attended.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#357Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/25/11 at 9:31pm

You'll definitely be fine in shorts.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#358Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/26/11 at 1:26pm

Some easy pointers for the overheated types like ShubertAlleycat. My husband hated the heat generated by wearing the mask the first time we went. For visit #2 he brought little 1" squares of self-adhesive foam rubber pads to stick inside the pressure points of the mask before donning it. Worked swell.

Also, on the 5th floor you'll find the "outdoor" maze of dead branches which is kept breezy and cool. Similarly on the 3rd floor you'll find the ruins of a vast brick foundation that are also kept chilly.

Plus the show should keep giving you chills if you let yourself really fall under its spell :)

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#359Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/26/11 at 8:39pm

Last Saturday the cast was the same as JeaniusIsMe listed above with the expection of:

Hecate- Careena Melia, Maya Lubinski
Malcolm- Adam Scher

I'm planning a trip back in October. I hope it's still playing. I'd very much like to see it again. Updated On: 6/26/11 at 08:39 PM

upinthegods
#360Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/30/11 at 7:15am

This is going to run and run...... they are having auditions for new cast members next week and they have also advertised a "permanent full-time" post for a box-office manager.

As can be seen from the previous post, some of the original cast members are now starting to move on.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#361Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 6/30/11 at 12:27pm

This is good news to me. I hope it plays and stays fresh for quite a while.

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#362Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/1/11 at 1:57am

I'm still processing the experience so can't share very much except that it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. So annoyed my NYC trip is over because if I could I would go again as soon as humanly possible.

AlfieByrne
#363Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/1/11 at 3:44am

Were anybody underwhelmed by this "show"? I did like it, actually, but it just didn't meet my expectation. I was expecting something groundbreaking, but most of the time, I was too frustrated to figure out who was who. And it just felt like an over-extended haunted maze walk-through at some theme parks during Halloween season.

It was neat that they stuffed every drawer with period props and such... but I just wasn't too impressed, with all the hype. It definitely was new and worth checking out at least once.

upinthegods
#364Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/1/11 at 5:10pm

What many people overlook is that "Sleep No More" is a dance show - albeit a dance show with a difference. However, almost all the performers are career dancers - not actors - and, therefore, attendees who complain that there is "no dialogue" or "plot" are missing the point.

The set and location are, indeed, amazing but what makes the show unique is that the dancers perform miracles without the audience even realizing they are watching a dance show!

FindingNamo
#366Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/2/11 at 9:23pm

I have a hard time following, upinthegods. I think it's odd for you to say people are watching a "dance show" and that the dancers "perform miracles" and that somehow, the audience doesn't know it's a dance show.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

upinthegods
#367Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/4/11 at 12:26pm

I'm sorry if my point wasn't clear. I was merely suggesting that, in my view, some of the (few) critical comments on Sleep No More indicate that those attendees had been expecting dialogue and/or a linear "plot". If indeed it has been obvious to everyone that this is a dance show I can but apologize.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#368Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/4/11 at 1:59pm

Ok, I have a strange question about ticketing. When I look through the available ticket times, (except for the few performances in September) the late entrance time is "sold out". I'm talking the "8PM" and "11:59PM" times.

Does something special happen with those entrance times? Why the heavy demand on the entrance time that gets you the least? There doesn't appear to be a difference in price. I would think that most people would want to get in as early as possible to spend the most time in the environment.

Just curious on your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#369Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/4/11 at 2:29pm

The late entrance times are cheaper than the earlier entrance times.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#370Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/7/11 at 7:50pm

Some of you would probably be interested in this:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/2011/jul/05/sleep-no-more/

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#372Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/20/11 at 10:27pm

Well, I finally went last Saturday (7/16) and had a swell time. First of all, I did wear comfy clothing and was NOT hot during the experience except when I had to move quickly up and down stairs to follow an actor. The mask was not terribly uncomfortable either.

SPOILERS, I guess . . . Here are the highlights of my experience.

*I saw the "Is That All There Is?" lip synch but I swear it was in the bar in the hotel and it was done by a man, not the woman in the red dress.

*I saw MacBeth kill Duncan with the pillow, followed him to the bathtub scene with the missus, and also saw Lady M's freakout.

*I got to see the rave . . . weird.

*I loved the theatricality of the final tableau.

*While the MacBeth stuff was pretty easy to follow (I know this story well), I did not get the stuff happening with the REBECCA characters. I became caught up with the woman with the suitcase at the end of the second cycle. She looks at some pictures and then a guy comes out of the wardrobe (is this the Narnia thing?) and kisses her goodnight. Then I believe she starts the cycle over and when she goes out into the street, she has this liitle box -- inside the box was a note that says "We have her." WTF was this all about? Later on she is checking into the hotel. She also was constantly looking at pictures of a woman -- was this the first Mrs. DeWinter, Rebecca? I am very confounded by all of this . . . does anyone have any insights?

I appreciate all the direction I received from the board to help me prepare for my expereince. I got more out of it as a result.

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#373Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/21/11 at 11:55am

Saw the show and was underwhelmed. Didn't really care enough about the characters to go rushing ahead of the crowd to follow any of them. Felt like I was in a crowded subway car the entire night and didn't like getting pushed and shoved around by the actors and audience members. Found the experience mostly annoying.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#374Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/21/11 at 1:02pm

Kind of agree PReeves2, but think it was still an interesting experience and there were a few cool scenes.

I lol'd at one scene, with the locket, when it is opened everyone just SWOOPS in to try and see what's inside and the actors seem completely lost in a sea of white masks.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#375Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/21/11 at 2:54pm

i do think it was an interesting approach with the audience wearing masks, but as one of the earlier posts said it did feel like I was walking through a haunted house at Six Flags during Halloween.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#376Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/22/11 at 2:16pm

I don't know if they could have styled them in a different way maybe but a mask of some kind was absolutely necessarily....someone took their mask off during the bathtub scene with Lady Macbeth and (the king? no idea - tip: reading a wikipedia summary of MacBeth is not sufficient to follow this show!) and it absolutely killed the mood. It was very awkward. And of course it's the easiest way to discriminate between performers and spectators.

Although it must be necessary for safety reasons I thought the "exit" signs everywhere kind of killed the mood too (not sure if anyone mentioned this).

I really liked the street with the shops though...my friend and I went to the candy shop and actually ate some of it lol, it is pretty cool.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos