News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'- Page 15

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#350 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 6:57am

GeorgeandDot said: "You get to live your life free of any real prejudice.  I mean seriously, what is the worst thing you could possibly call a white person? "Whitie?" "Cracker?" "Mayonnaise?"  None of those insults come from years of systemic oppression because white people have never been oppressed"

Being called a name because of color is completely useless. Is it bad to call a black person chocolate? Then why are they doing it. Completely pointless. Pride lies in rising above that.

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 06:57 AM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#351 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 7:12am

Black people refer to each other as chocolate all the time.  Coming from the mouth of a white person, however, it would probably sound pretty demeaning.  Basically, my friend, people like to have their race and would like for their race to be included as a part of who they are.  I'm sure that you and your friends have nicknames for each other.  In the 80's my two best friends and I called ourselves the neapolitan gang since I was black, one of my friends was white, and the other dyed her hair pink.  It was just a harmless little thing.  Anyways, I challenge you to try to see the whole person.  Don't look at the world through color blind eyes.  Look at them for who they are, who they were, and who they came from.  There's a lot of stories there that get ignored if everyone is just a homogeneous, grey blob of human.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#352 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 7:31am

poisonivy2 said: " Idk whey you think that this is somehow demeaning."

I understand it comes from feeling oppressed/less worthy, but it's not helpful for the bigger picture.

Anyone who feels the need to say these things to feel equal, will never feel truly equal or create equality by doing it.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#353 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 7:36am

GeorgeandDot said: "Anyways, I challenge you to try to see the whole person. Look at them for who they are, who they were, and who they came from.  There's a lot of stories there that get ignored"

I always look at the whole person. I'm not the one ignoring that in every situation. They are by turning everything into skin tone.

I agree, so many stories get ignored because of the race thing. There is much more to every person.

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 07:36 AM

schubox
#354 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:26am

rosemarycountess2017 said: "I've just read about the ripped out War and Peace pages. Do they throw them each show? And I assume people sitting in the mezzanine won't have a chance to catch one? I really wish I did.  

"

What ripped out pages? Is this a new thing?

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#355 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:40am

^The pages get thrown into the audience during The Abduction. I saw them get thrown down from the mezz into the orchestra, but they could've been tossed around other areas as well. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#356 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:46am

Dave28282 said: "poisonivy2 said: " Idk whey you think that this is somehow demeaning."

I understand it comes from feeling oppressed/less worthy, but it's not helpful for the bigger picture.

Anyone who feels the need to say these things to feel equal, will never feel truly equal or create equality by doing it.

"

With all due respect I don't think you understand the realities of being a minority in the U.S. For instance I can't say how many times two people have had a demeaning conversation about me right in front of me because they assume I can't speak English. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me if I eat cats and dogs. When minorities face these micro and macro aggressions constantly, sometimes pride in being who we are is healthy and necessary. What Denee and Cynthia did isn't hurting anyone. 

For a look at truly destructive racial pride, see Charlottesville.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#357 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:54am

I understand that, but then you should make it a sport to show them you are more than that. To make them think and learn. Show them you have more to offer. Show them you speak English perfectly, and do it with pride and a smile. Take away their focus from race and show them human.

Constantly saying "asian" or "yellow miracle" above your pics or in any conversation is not going to break that stereotype. We can already see you are Asian. Don't let anyone limit you to that. Including yourself. (assuming you're asian by your post, feel free to share if it's anything else).

What Denee and Cynthia did is turning a normal picture into a race separation thing, which hurts a whole community.

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 08:54 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#358 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 9:09am

Dave28282 said: "I understand that, but then you should make it a sport to show them you are more than that. To make them think and learn. Show them you have more to offer. Show them you speak English perfectly, and do it with pride and a smile. Take away their focus from race and show them human.

Constantly saying "asian" or "yellow miracle" above your pics or in any conversation is not going to break that stereotype. We can already see you are Asian. Don't let anyone limit you to that. Including yourself. (assuming you're asian by your post, feel free to share if it's anything else).

What Denee and Cynthia did is turning a normal picture into a race separation thing, which hurts a whole community.

"

FWIW I never tag myself as "Asian" or whatever in pictures. I mean anyone who sees my picture can deduce my racial background. I just don't see the destructiveness of a selfie with Denee and Cynthia that, let's face it, was probably a bit of damage control from Cynthia after the twitter firestorm.

But: back to topic. I definitely want to see this show again. I've now sat in the banquet and front mezzanine. are there any other good spots to sit? Also, would you see the show with Scott or Dave? 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#359 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 10:06am

poisonivy2 said: "FWIW I never tag myself as "Asian" or whatever in pictures. I mean anyone who sees my picture can deduce my racial background."

That's my whole point. I agree.

poisonivy2 said: " just don't see the destructiveness of a selfie with Denee and Cynthia "

It would be the same as posting "Look, me in a dressing room with my yellow rice friends". (to stay in the food category). While something like "Look, me in a dressing room with my friends" would make a much more humanic message and actually gives the readers the chance to see what it's really about. A meeting in a dressingroom with friends. Humans.

I get that some people feel inferior and feel the need to flee in it every second of the day but it's not helping.

Also, 9 out of 10 people do see human so why not appreciate that instead of trying to convert them to see only race. Because if you constantly focus on that, others will start to do the same.

But, back on topic. I would recommend Scott. Dave's singing does not do it for me. You could listen on youtube and see what you think?

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 10:06 AM

HSky
#360 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 10:26am

CorkySt.Clair said: "^The pages get thrown into the audience during The Abduction. I saw them get thrown down from the mezz into the orchestra, but they could've been tossed around other areas as well."

They're thrown onstage, too, although the big dump is the one from.center front mess to the seats below. I've gotten them in the banquettes and at Table TO. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#361 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 10:39am

poisonivy2 said: "When minorities face these micro and macro aggressions constantly, sometimes pride in being who we are is healthy and necessary. What Denee and Cynthia did isn't hurting anyone. "

Just fragile white folks.

(Poisonivy2 is right: When you live somewhere [and someWHEN] where dark skin, being black, having naturally kinky hair, etc... is derided, not seen as a thing of beauty, why not point it out and celebrate it?)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JustAnotherNewYorker
#362 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 10:48am

poisonivy2 said: "But: back to topic. I definitely want to see this show again. I've now sat in the banquet and front mezzanine. are there any other good spots to sit? Also, would you see the show with Scott or Dave? "

I like both, but am more a Dave fan. Not going to be at the final performance Ivy?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#363 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:11am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "poisonivy2 said: "But: back to topic. I definitely want to see this show again. I've now sat in the banquet and front mezzanine. are there any other good spots to sit? Also, would you see the show with Scott or Dave? "

I like both, but am more a Dave fan. Not going to be at the final performance Ivy?

"

That's completely sold out last time I checked.

eugenia2
#364 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:18am

back to the sadness of the closing, from Slate:  The Great Comet Was a Broadway Show for People Who Don’t Feel Like the Heroes of Their Own Story.  Its loss leaves an empty place. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/08/14/natasha_pierre_the_great_comet_of_1812_was_a_musical_for_those_of_us_who.html

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 11:18 AM

JustAnotherNewYorker
#365 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:18am

poisonivy2 said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "poisonivy2 said: "But: back to topic. I definitely want to see this show again. I've now sat in the banquet and front mezzanine. are there any other good spots to sit? Also, would you see the show with Scott or Dave? "

"

That's completely sold out last time I checked.
"

In and out of stock. A few days ago I checked and there were none. Yesterday before the show there were rear mezz, front mezz, and orchestra available. Last night I checked for a friend (also named Ivy) and there was a single front mezz. I think they are adding occasionally. If you are in midtown, you might stop in and check about those or about the boxes (which are only sold in person--I'd suggest the house right/stage left box (the drummer is house left, and his glass blocks a lot I think).

LxGstv
#366 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 12:55pm

Cynthia Erivo posted on Instagram/Facebook:

Causing mischief and mayhem with @rafaelcasal tonight @publictheaterny ??

You coming?! ????

VintageSnarker
#367 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 1:53pm

Random side note

GeorgeandDot said: Race will always be a part of everything for us.  As a white person it is very easy to ignore race because it really isn't your problem.  You don't get called a "n*" or "chink" on the street.  You get to live your life free of any real prejudice.  

How are there still people who think "chink" or "chinky eyes" is OK to say? I almost get Oriental because that's just outdated but like other racial slurs, "chink" is always an insult. It's meant to inflict hurt and discomfort even if there aren't strong associations/meanings behind the word. 

But, good Lord, Dave. Please stop talking about race. This conversation is well on its way to becoming a trash fire.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#368 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 2:01pm

VintageSnarker said: "Random side note

GeorgeandDot said: Race will always be a part of everything for us.  As a white person it is very easy to ignore race because it really isn't your problem.  You don't get called a "n*" or "chink" on the street.  You get to live your life free of any real prejudice.  

How are there still people who think "chink" or "chinky eyes" is OK to say? I almost get Oriental because that's just outdated but like other racial slurs, "chink" is always an insult. It's meant to inflict hurt and discomfort even if there aren't strong associations/meanings behind the word. 

But, good Lord, Dave. Please stop talking about race. This conversation is well on its way to becoming a trash fire.

"

Even more offensive is when I show people my cat and dog and some have asked me "Do you cook and eat them?" Idk how that's okay to say in 2017.

Back on topic: one thing I noticed after watching yesterday;s performance (my second time seeing the show) is that this show has a real first-act dip. Things start off great, and there's a big dip in both music and drama and it doesn't pick up again until Dust and Ashes. The second act is one of the most joyous, intense, amazing theatrical experiences there is, but you have to get to the second act to experience this. I wonder if people who saw this in the tent also noticed the big first act dip.

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 02:01 PM

JustAnotherNewYorker
#369 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 2:18pm

Ivy,

Did you notice two table seats empty in the second act--I don't remember seeing them empty in the first, but they definitely were in the second. It does seem many people leave at intermission (and then complain about the show), although its possible that was just someone who got caught on the bathroom line...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#370 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 2:19pm

Hard to tell if someone onstage left at intermission, since they wouldn't be allowed back up to their seats if they weren't there for the start of act 2.

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#371 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 2:22pm

I sat at one of the center tables for the Saturday matinee - 2 people got up right as intermission was ending to go to the bathroom, the ushers warned them they wouldn't be able to get back to their seats but it seemed to be an emergency so they left.

Yesterday I noticed the 2 empty seats at that same table and wondered if the same thing happened.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#372 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/14/17 at 2:40pm

Rosemary said: "ve been listening to a bit of Act I - is it worth really familiarizing myself with the story and music beforehand?  Admittedly I never read War and Peace."

No, it's not a new thing.  They've done it at all the shows I've seen from first row of mezz.  Possible they skipped a few b/c the ushers said they don't always do the pierogi throw and giveaway.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#373 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:45pm

VintageSnarker said: "Please stop talking about race."

I know, right? Me and Morgan Freeman say it all the time, but people Like Cynthia Erivo can't help themselves, which turns the world into a trash fire.

Mentioning that, can't (of course) be done enough.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#374 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/15/17 at 10:43pm

Thanks Eugenia2 for the Slate article.  I can really relate to the author's position.  

"The Great Comet Was a Broadway Show for People Who Don’t Feel Like the Heroes of Their Own Story.  Its loss leaves an empty place."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/08/14/natasha_pierre_the_great_comet_of_1812_was_a_musical_for_those_of_us_who.html

Videos