pixeltracker

The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)- Page 16

The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

DougieYero Profile Photo
DougieYero
#375re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:14pm

Oh I forgot to mention - yesterday: Curtis and Patti were both out. Curtis' understudy was pretty good though. Although he slipped during "Whenever You're Away from Me." No one missed a beat though, so props to them.

And it sounds like Mary's cabaret is quite awesome.

kate2
#376re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/3/08 at 10:10pm

I'm going to this Wednesday's matinee... and after seeing it 10 times, I'm still excited to go! What other show can do that!?

Ed_Mottershead
#377re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/5/08 at 9:28am

Did everyone see Rosie's pics on Broadway.com showing her at Xanadu? Wondering if she's going to consider joining the cast at some point in the future?

BroadwayEd

Midnight Radio
#378re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:05am

Hey guys! I have not posted here in FOREVER but I did catch the show on Sunday so I just wanted to add a few things.

First of all my big reason for going more than anything was to seeing my boy Andre on for Mary. You can imagine then that I was crushed when I found out he was not going to be on for her. Word is that Marty fell Saturday night and is alright but it was decided that he sit out Sunday to make sure he was good. Annie was on for Mary instead and it is always a pleasure to see her on but I have to admit I was more than a little sad to miss Andre as I have been waiting for his Melpomene FOREVER. re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

As for Whoopi, she is doing a good job and I am glad to say she is off the cards and made no huge errors with the script yesterday. I enjoyed some of the new lines they gave her and she got big responces from the audience. She even had a pretty good hold of the choreography! I talked to her for a few minutes after the show and she said that the only reason she was able to pick this up was because this is such an amazing and talented cast and they really have helped her every step of the way. I am confident she will continue to get better and really own this role.

And a last little note, a woman waiting at the stage door yesterday told me that this was the first Broadway show she has ever been to and Whoopi was the reason for her getting the tickets. It is nice to know that with Whoopi joining the cast, it has the potential to get alot of people who have never been exposed to theatre to come and help continue to get the word out about the best damn show on Broadway!

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#379re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:10am

Hi Du Crew!!!

I am going to take my mom to see Xanadu for her 60th (we've both seen it twice already but this time we will be on stage....yea!!)

Anyway, I was wondering if the Du Crew has any shirts or hats or anything that says the "Du Crew" on it. I would love to get this for her for her birthday. Can you let me know? Thanks so much!!

kate2
#380re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/7/08 at 10:20am

I saw the show yesterday and without Jackie it was just... different. I definitely missed her quick wit and adlibs, but Whoopi held her own and did her best. I thought the new lines for Whoopi were funny, but I think she just needs a little more time to really find her groove with the show. On a side note, Kathy Lee Gifford was in the audience.

RuprechtJr.
#381re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/7/08 at 11:30am

Kate, I was there yesterday. You probably saw me (see signature below.) Also I think I was standing next to you at the stage door for a little bit. You were the one who said you just wanted to give Kerry a cheesburger, right? :P Anyway, I think you're right about Whoopi. She wasn't very confident with her steps, and sometimes during the songs she'd be singing when only the lead would be and she'd slowly drop out. I think she did fine for learning the show in nine days. But, you're right. It's different without Jackie.

kate2
#382re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/7/08 at 2:59pm

"You were the one who said you just wanted to give Kerry a cheesburger, right? :P"

Nope, actually that wasn't me! During the show I was sitting on stage in the section farthest left (if you're in the audience looking at the stage). I was in the back on the right side of the seat, to be completely accurate! haha

Ed_Mottershead
#383re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/10/08 at 7:21pm

I'm probably going to be shot at dawn for posting these opinions, but I saw Xanadu yesterday afternoon and must say up front that Whoopi, a performer whom I have admired for years, just didn't do it for me in this particular show. First of all, it struck me how much more of the weight of the show Mary must carry -- I guess because every word that Jackie says garners a laugh the role seems larger than it actually is. Whoopi is no longer using cue cards and seems to have the role down. But except for a few faces and a few bits that have been put in it for her, she wasn't what I'd call a laugh riot. For example, when Kira is talking about going into disguise at the beginning, when Jackie says "You've got 'em fooled now," the line gets a laugh. Not so with Whoopi. Her performance was thoroughly professional, but I just missed Jackie and came to realize whad a totally integrated show this really is -- everyone seems to jibe perfectly. Having said that at risk of my life ---

Whoopi was totally gracious at the stage door (and there was a mob there) -- she stopped for everyone, signed autographs, posed for pictures, etc., etc. Couldn't have been nicer. Don't get me wrong -- she has always been a phenomenal supporter of this show and for that alone I adore her.

The others were, as usual, great. Curtis was really camping up a storm -- he's a real riot and his tap got an ovation, as did his curtain call. There's no doubt in my mind that he merits a good show of his own now -- he's ready!!!!! A few bits have been modified -- for example, Cheyenne and Kerry crossing and uncrossing their legs when the arrow is shot has been changed to having Whoopi in Cheyenne's face and changing the line about Whoopi's character saying "I'm not wearing a bra."

BTW, the audience ate it up. And the overall experience still remains the most fun on Broadway.

BroadwayEd

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#384re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/12/08 at 11:56pm

According to her, Patti Murin will be going on as Kira/Clio from August 17th through the 24th.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#385re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/14/08 at 7:26pm

I finally got to see Whoopi last night. She added something new & different, with several line changes which were a lot of fun. She doesn't try to steal the show, which is good. I did miss Jackie Hoffman though. She always steals the show without trying.

I also loved Whoopi's interaction with good friend Mary Testa (who always has me ROFL.) After 'chewing the scenery' she kissed a guy on stage (for a very long time) & then pretended she was chewing gum as she came up behind Mary. Then Mary said her line "No chewing!" Very cute.

Marty Thomas is on for Andre Ward all week & did a great job in his roles. And Jacob Ben Widmar filled in for Marty as featured skater & was perfect. Curtis camped it up (with a Spanish accent this time) as the Muse of Comedy. Kenita gets better & better all the time.... just fantastic. Patti's crocadile tears as Achiles' mom are always a riot. And of course Kerry & Cheyenne are always perfection, even though Cheyenne missed a cue during "Suddenly" and looked at the band, laughed & picked right up again. Those are the kind of outtakes we love re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

Edit: I inadvertantly forgot mention the wonderful Tony Roberts who has not missed a single performance (that I've been to anyway.) And this was my silver 25th time.

Huzzah sisters of inspiration.

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)
Updated On: 8/14/08 at 07:26 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#386re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:14pm

Jeffrey,

It's always great to hear your on-target comments. And isn't Curtis a hoot? He didn't do the Spanish accent thing when I saw it on Saturday, which shows you what a free-wheeling, wonderful show this is. Long may it wave and rule as Broadway's most fun show!!!!!

BroadwayEd

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#387re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:01am

Good to see you made it through Boys Night in one piece, Jeffrey re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!) I'm sure the audience was amazing!

Seeing the show tomorrow night from the stage, and will probably see Patti go on next week! I love when she plays Kira (though I would love to see her against Curtis again).

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BNN
#388re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:45am

I saw it for my 3rd time tonight, and my face started to get numb from laughing, everyone was hysterical and I couldn't have asked for a better evening. I was so glad to see Curtis back, he gave his hammer to a girl onstage and pointed at his head, she hit him and he collapsed on the ground. So many funny moments tonight overall and I can't wait to see it again!

Also, can I just mention the word thong and hope that someone understands.

Tick Tock

jeffrey1dog
#389re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:24am

Thanks Taboo... I didn't drink as much as last time when we went - lol. Have fun tonight.
The only cast member who came to the bar this time was Jacob Ben Widmar who was really nice. There should be some pics posted on the web here soon... https://themenevent.com/party.htm
In the meantime you can still see prior events pics re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

BNN, yes the thong that disappeared, but we know where it went - hehe.

Updated On: 8/15/08 at 04:24 AM

Pocketsquared Fanadu Profile Photo
Pocketsquared Fanadu
#390re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/15/08 at 9:34am

Jeffrey, I never got a chance to post yesterday about seeing it on Boys Night, but if I had it basically would have been your review verbatim. I think they were all definitely giving it a little extra sumpn sumpn for the boys. I also think that Mary was the best I have ever seen her and that is saying a lot.

Afterward, I got Whoopi, Curtis and Marty to add their autographs to all the others on my xanadu fanadu (Curtis was doing Saved when I made those fans for the Early Show appearance). I talked with Marty a bit and he was lovely, and he told me that he'd seen the fans in some of the dressing rooms. He asked me where I had gotten mine, and when I told him I had made them he was very complimentary, so I'm sending him one! And I told Whoopi that it looked like she was having a ball up there and her face lit up the sweetest way and she said she ABSOLUTELY was.

And, yes, the thong bit...Whoopi's line to the audience member. Priceless.

The last vampire is the mother of all vampires and that is the vampire of despair. It'll wake you up at 4am to say things like: Who do you think you are kidding? You look like a fool! No matter how hard you try, you'll never be good enough! Why is it that if some dude walked up to me on the subway platform and said these things, I'd think he was a mentally ill as-h-le, but if the vampire inside my head says it,It's the voice of reason! DIE VAMPIRE, DIE--[SUSAN in tos]

Ed_Mottershead
#391re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/17/08 at 8:32am

Wasn't that a great plug in Liz Smith's column!! Needless to say, I agree to everything she had to say. HUZZAH!!!!!!

BroadwayEd

BroadwayBrat
#392re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/29/08 at 12:53am

Hello Xanadu fans!
I don't post often, but I have to say a few things about Xanadu: I loved the movie. I was a kid, but loved the music. We used to play a "Xanadu" game and act out the scenes on roller skates...as best we could. Anway, here we are years (many) later and the show is on Broadway. I saw it months ago and loved it. I just bought tickets to the Saturday 2PM show. I got row A, center!! I am excited to see the show again and to see Whoopi. You guys all rock for supporting a great show an I hope to see some of you there on Saturday!!

BroadwayBrat
BNN
#394re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/29/08 at 11:35pm

Fun fact: I just watched the movie all the way through for the first time yesterday, and today I have a stomach virus.

Coincidence?

Tick Tock

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#395re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/30/08 at 12:51pm

I think (hope) not.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#396re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 9/5/08 at 11:22am

How has rush been on the weekends? Me and a few friends were planning on rushing the matinee tomorrow, but we can't get there too early.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jeffrey1dog
#397re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 9/5/08 at 12:52pm

Good luck... I hope you get tix re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=973828#3658421

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#398re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 9/6/08 at 8:31pm

I'm excited! I got to see it for the first time today, and I loved it! It was so funny and the music is great too. I ended up doing student rush tickets very last minute because I was in another meeting this morning for something I'm involved with in 2 weeks, and it lasted 30 minutes, which would have been a waste from my travel time. So, I hauled my butt up to the theater to get there by noon, and assumed I would be out of luck. But, there was nobody there. Well, there was one guy ahead of me, but that was it. I ended up with the very front row, so I got great views of Cheyenne, and could practically see up his short. LOL! Since I'm obviously not into girls, Kerry didn't do anything for me in that department.

Now, has anyone else ever had this issue? I had seat 103, in row AA, which was the front, however there were only 2 seats, and the usher directed me to the second row. Well, this was obviously a problem when other people showed up, so we got it straightened out. Management could not have been nicer. Apparently, they took one of the seats out last night for wheel chair accessibility, but they never put it back, so they were working on either getting a seat to put there. However, I don't know what happened because the 2 girls sitting up there were given different seats I guess, and I ended up sitting there alone. Oh well, as long as there was a good explanation and we all got to see it, that's all that matters.

Oh yeah, and I was special enough to have Mary Testa fling the thong at me. LOL! Okay, I just happened to be right where she would need to have flung it, but it was all me, since I was alone. And I probably shouldn't have, but I took them with me. LOL! Anyone who wants them, it will cost you. LOL!

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

masterthes
#399re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:23pm

Wow, this thread seems to have come to a screeching halt

Videos