Pippin Tour?

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#400Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 2:45pm

gleek4114 - there's a student rush at Pippin for Minneapolis right now, not sure of others in different stops.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#401Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/22/15 at 12:09pm

"I've never heard such a pumped up sound system in my life - both orchestra and vocals... (not in a bad way...) - so the sound made certain the audience was into the show. "

Interesting since when I saw the tour ( which I Loved) I thought the sound was thin at times.

iabwayfan Profile Photo
iabwayfan
#402Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/28/15 at 2:55pm

Just saw Pippin in Des Moines. Wondering if Pippin has never done the back flip on tour, which has been quite an accomplishment for performers on Broadway.

trpguyy
#403Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/28/15 at 7:43pm

Yes the back flip has been done on tour. When I saw Sam he was doing a modified trick, I'm assuming as they work towards the flip.
Aside from that, what did you think of the show?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#404Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/28/15 at 10:34pm

Looks like Gabby Mcclinton is on tour filling in for Lisa for a few weeks, so I guess that means she will understudy for Sasha.

iabwayfan Profile Photo
iabwayfan
#405Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/28/15 at 11:54pm

The group I was with, including myself, all enjoyed the show very much. The level of talent on the stage is quite amazing. I saw the show in NYC this summer, but other than that, I'm pretty new to it.

I will say that although the Leading Player has a tremendous voice, I did sometimes get a little lost in the words with the riffing and felt the choice of syncopation in Magic to Do slowed the flow of the song. I felt she got stronger as the show went on and is a great choice for that role.

I absolutely loved the performances by the performers playing the King, Fastrada, Catherine, and Berthe.

Also, at our performance, one of the hula hoops flew off the outstretched leg above the head of a performer and flew into the netting above the pit. It had no impact on the performance except that there was no hoop to jump through. It really makes you appreciate how difficult each and every one of those stunts are!

I wish continued success to the touring company and hope it continues to make new fans all around the country.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#406Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/4/15 at 1:36pm

FYI, they've finally added the tour cast to their website. Though no addition dates are listed past their San Diego stop.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Fritzles
#407Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 10:11am

Saw the show last night and on Tuesday in Nashville. Loved it and was overall extremely impressed. The production values are wonderful and this is truly a great company.

As Pippin, Sam Lips did a nice job on Tuesday - he's a little pitchy at times, but has a great presence and smile. His acting was fine. That said, Henry Gottfried was on last night - and knocked it out of the ballpark. His vocals were absolutely excellent - he has a deeper timbre to his voice, which is great for this character. His acting was believable and endearing. He's got a bright future ahead!!

Sasha Allen as the Leading Player...honestly, in my opinion, is a joke. I try to be positive about performances, and she does have a beautiful, rich voice and stage presence, but she just uses both entirely wrongly throughout this show. Her diction is deplorable. I couldn't understand a lot of what she was saying. At times, she would even breathe in the middle of a word...that's basic Voice 101 no-no. As for the "acting", I felt shrieked at. There was no depth. No threat. Just a lot of shouting. Very disappointed.

The ABSOLUTE, hands-down standout for me was Kristine Reese as Catherine. She brings such a beautiful, lifelike depth to a role that is too often played simply for laughs - though she gets the laughs as well - but because she is playing an actual human being who we can all identify with. She brings so many layers to the role - and her speech on Pippin's "one year anniversary" made me tear up both nights. She is SO real and radiant onstage. It's intriguing to watch Reese effortlessly switch back-and-forth between the character of Catherine she is playing and the character she plays as a player in the show. She is the heart of this show - no question - and the audiences both nights I attended seemed to agree based on cheers at curtain call. And her voice...let's not even. She has a glorious belt but also a VERY well controlled mix she can masquerade as a belt at times - and the result is a powerful, warming voice - very shimmery and with lovely vibrato. She commands the stage with her vocals and acting. One of the best performances I've seen live on stage.

John Rubenstein is quite funny and aloof as Charles - he had me giggling every time he was on the stage. Sabrina Harper's Fastrada is sexy and cunning - evil, while still making you like the character. Her voice is quite easy on the ears! Callan Bergmann is great as Lewis - very funny and very handsome!!

Priscilla Lopez was hilarious and engaging as Berthe - it was so fantastic to see this Broadway veteran in the role. You can tell she's absolutely having a blast onstage.

In the ensemble - Lisa Karlin stands out as a beautiful player - her facial expressions are absolutely lovely and she moves very well. On a not as nice note, Boris York (who plays the Rooster) is just too much - it seems like he's trying to make the whole scene about him - while it's about Theo and the duck.

Overall, it was two great evenings - enjoyed seeing this show and highly recommend it to anyone who has a chance to see it.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#408Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 10:37am

Did the show recoup on broadway?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

FindingNamo
#409Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 10:48am

The very first hit on Google.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

trpguyy
#410Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 10:50am

Yes, after about eight months.

Link Updated On: 3/13/15 at 10:50 AM

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#411Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 11:27am

Your serious Jorge?

isaac.evans
#412Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/13/15 at 5:57pm

Also got to see both Pippin's this week - enjoyed their vastly different performances! Priscilla, John, and Sabrina are fantastic. Kristine was also the standout for me - fantastic, controlled voice and a heartfelt and very realistic performance - but still hilarious. She absolutely makes act two. Can't wait to see it again!

BroadwayCrowdsourced - The New Rush Report: www.broadwaycrowdsourced.wordpress.com

isaac.evans
#413Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/14/15 at 7:00pm

Saw Lisa Karlin as LP today in Nashville - THAT is how you do the role, people. Her vocals were impeccable and powerful, and she really got the character. She was intimidating, sexy, and commanded the stage without ever going over the top. I definitely understand the love for her!

BroadwayCrowdsourced - The New Rush Report: www.broadwaycrowdsourced.wordpress.com

bstrumwasser Profile Photo
bstrumwasser
#414Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/19/15 at 7:41pm

Pippin Tour?

Grab a piece of Caerly Hughes of Pippin before they are all gone. Limited Edition Prints from the original paintings are available for Paippin. As well as Aladdin, Beautiful, Cabaret, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Mamma Mia, Hedwig, and Matilda with more to come. They will ship direct to you.

Use coupon code "BCEFA2014" code now through April 30, 2015 for 10% off your order

Proceeds benefit Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS

http://www.brianstrumwasser.com/store/p18/Carly_Hughes_as_the_Leading_Player_in_Broadway%27s_Pippin.html

B Strumwasser www.BrianStrumwasser.com
Updated On: 3/19/15 at 07:41 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#415Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 10:29am

Sabrina Harper made her Leading Player debut last night in Tampa. She has now played every female role in the show.

Pippin Tour?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 4/19/15 at 10:29 AM

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#416Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 1:46pm

How is this holding up amid all the new cast changes?  How is the new Berthe?

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#417Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/20/15 at 2:40am

Anyone know how long Adrienne Barbeau is going to be playing Bertha? I would really like to see her when the show comes here in KC this July.

Darreyl with an L!

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#418Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/20/15 at 8:33am

"Anyone know how long Adrienne Barbeau is going to be playing Bertha? I would really like to see her when the show comes here in KC this July."

Looks like she responds to posts on her official Facebook page... you can try asking her there.

https://www.facebook.com/4abarbeau

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#419Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:41pm

Caught the show tonight in Orlando. Full cast was on. 

I've never been too familiar with Pippin. Aside from knowing a few songs and the basic premise, I didn't see the revival on Broadway or in any other regional productions. That being said, it took me a little while to warm up to it, but I ended up loving everything about it by the end.

I know there has been much debate about Sasha Allen, and maybe it's because I haven't seen anyone else, but I thought she was wonderful. Great vocals, dancing, and acting. The whole finale scene was haunting. Sam Lips as Pippin, while maybe not the greatest singer, had a great stage presence and you can tell he is an amazing dancer. He looked most in his element during "On The Right Track". The rest of the supporting cast was great, particularly Adrienne Barbeau as Berthe and Callan Bergmann as Lewis. There were several audible gasps throughout "No Time At All". A strong ensemble as well. I 'obviously never saw the tour earlier in it's run, but it seems to be holding up well. 

HOWEVER, the show belongs to Kristine Reese as Catherine. She is absolutely stunning as Catherine. The second act soars with her. There was a cute bit tonight when her and Sam could not stop laughing. It took her quite some time to get it back together, and the audience loved it. I know she has gotten much praise in several reviews I have read, and she truly deserves it!

By the end, I was enthralled, and I am definitely a new fan of Pippin and would recommend this tour to anyone. 

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#420Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/23/15 at 1:05am

""Anyone know how long Adrienne Barbeau is going to be playing Bertha? I would really like to see her when the show comes here in KC this July."
Looks like she responds to posts on her official Facebook page... you can try asking her there.
https://www.facebook.com/4abarbeau"

Thanks for that! I did and she replied and told me she would still be with the tour. YAY!!

Darreyl with an L!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#421Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/23/15 at 7:52am

I also caught this in Orlando and loved it.  Most of the cast was just as good as the broadway cast except Sam Lips.  He was kind of bad.  His singing was awful and he wasn't a very good dancer.  Sasha Allen was passable.  She wasn't nearly as good as Patina Miller,  but her performance (especially in the 2nd act) was good.

swmwithsharks Profile Photo
swmwithsharks
#422Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/27/15 at 11:40am

I also saw the show in Orlando this weekend. I almost didn't go because I had such an extraordinary experience when I saw it in NY and knew that it couldn't be duplicated. I did enjoy it very much though. Sasha Allen's words do get lost sometimes and her backphrasing was a little annoying, but I ended up enjoying her. Sam Lips, however, seemed to be sleepwalking through the role. I don't know if he was having an off day or what, but I was actually kind of shocked. Very little energy, throwing away a lot of the dialogue, he really just seemed to be phoning it in to me. Act 1 dragged as a result. He did perk up some in Act 2, oddly enough and the audience didn't seem to mind (although his ovation at the curtain call was noticeably smaller than some of the other principles). I've mostly seen praise for him in the thread. Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#423Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/27/15 at 12:44pm

Sam Lips was great when I saw him earlier this year.

Just as a note, Henry Gottfried and Callan Bergmann went on as Pippin for 3 of the performances this weekend.  Sam might not have been feeling well when you saw him.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#424Pippin Tour?
Posted: 4/27/15 at 12:50pm

Saw it in Orlando as well.  

Sasha Allen was awful. No two ways around it. She can't dance and had zero presence.  It made me appreciate the performance Patina gave that much more. Incidentally, she was out for both shows Sunday- Lisa Karlin went on for her. Had I known that ahead of time, I would have gone on Sunday. 

The understudy for Pippin that we had was serviceable, though nothing outstanding.  

Barbeau was fine, but lacked the pizzazz Andrea Martin brought to the role. 

Sabrina Harper and John Rubeinstein stole the show. 

The circus stuff remains the highlight of the evening, and the ensemble works its tail off. 

Updated On: 4/27/15 at 12:50 PM

Videos