News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 17

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#400SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 9:00pm

I think Glenn sounds better now than she did in 1994. Not better than the recording but better than live. I think she's trained her voice even more. While it has decompensated with age I think it is more expressive and she has better control. 

Also it's a better performance. I loved the kabuki Norma but in hindsight it's so elevated. I like the reality of this Norma. I do miss some of the old costumes, the severe makeup and the turbans. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

AEA AGMA SM
#401SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 9:10pm

chernjam said: "-- She's not eligible?  Must confess my ignorance - had not heard that/didn't know that..."

One of the rules is that an actor can not be eligible for nomination for playing a role that they've already won a Tony for (it's the same reason Alan Cumming was not eligible a couple years ago for the revival of the revival of Cabaret). 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#402SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 10:06pm

SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#403SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 10:34pm

SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#404SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 11:15pm

For the curious ones, that curtain image of Glenn as Norma is dropped at the end of Act 1.  There is a black scrim that is the show curtain before the show starts.  

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#405SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 11:22pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "For the curious ones, that curtain image of Glenn as Norma is dropped at the end of Act 1.  There is a black scrim that is the show curtain before the show starts.  

"was kind of surprised they didn't have that before the show starts too

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#406SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 11:28pm

Personally I don't think it would have the same effect as the shows main curtain. 

Kind of felt like the preshow of a rock concert, though. Audible gasps and cheers were heard when it dropped at the end of act one. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#407SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/8/17 at 11:52pm

She is totally giving a Tony Award worthy performance.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#409SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 4:04am

I absolutely love that video chernjam, I guess it was officially the most challenging role of her career she says.

I love ALW, and I love that he says that her "screen goddess" translates well into this show. He's right. 

Thanks for the entertainment provided by ALW, all his team and the greatest star of all. Glenn.

This was the most fun I've had at the theatre in my life. Fantastic. Totally worth the $150 I spent on seats.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

neonlightsxo
#410SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 8:33am

"When the body is raised out of the pool at the beginning why doesn't he just keep on rising up out of sight?"

Caught it last night and had the same thought. It was a cool effect at the top but why on earth did it stay there?

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#411SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 11:04am

JVJ93 said: "Opening night tomorrow! Anyone think they'll offer rush for this tomorrow? Or if the show will even go on as scheduled due to the snow? "

Yes, they did offer rush this morning. I was first in line and got a pair in the rear mezz.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#412SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 11:11am

So Opening Night is a go...

BTW - for you iphone users - check out the ALW musicals keyboard on app store... Emojis of Norma, how did we exist before these existed??? :)

10086sunset
#413SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 4:22pm

Anyone going tonight?

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#414SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 4:33pm

wonder what celebrities will be there...

Does anyone know where the Opening Night Party is?

BrodyFosse123
#415SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 4:34pm

Yes.  Invite is barcoded.  

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#416SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 4:51pm

Can anyone share discount codes which are applicable through May? I'm visiting 1st weekend but Ms. Midler, Ms. Sally Field, and Mr. Norm Lewis have already taken me way past my budget.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#417SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 4:56pm

Valentina3 said: "Can anyone share discount codes which are applicable through May? I'm visiting 1st weekend but Ms. Midler, Ms. Sally Field, and Mr. Norm Lewis have already taken me way past my budget.

"

Valentina - I havent seen any codes past March...  Depending on how tonight goes I think will determine whether you can expect codes or not

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#418SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 8:22pm

For those of you who will not get to New York to see this revival, I found what appears to be an eye-popping Junior high school production of the musical. The chimp at the 17 minute mark receives a special mention.

https://youtu.be/EnkUinYpJMw

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

BrodyFosse123
#419SUNSET BOULEVARD Previews
Posted: 2/9/17 at 8:45pm

Holy ph**kballs these high school kids are quite fantastic!  I just took a quick glance just for sh*ts and giggles and literally got sucked into the first Joe/Norma scene.  Their delivery is quite impressive.  Definitely planning on watching the entire thing.  Ignore the overcrowded ensemble sequences (what a mess!) and the height differences but the regular scenes are quite impressive.   

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#420SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/9/17 at 10:12pm

Wow. Massive rave for Close from Brantley!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/theater/sunset-boulevard-review.html

Updated On: 2/9/17 at 10:12 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#421SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/10/17 at 12:41am

some terrific reviews... any news reports of the opening night or revelations about the production (did they record the new cast?  DVD? etc)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#422SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/10/17 at 12:48am

SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#423SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/10/17 at 1:42am

Im guessing this will be the next commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYzltWkjxs

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam

Videos