pixeltracker

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'- Page 17

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#400 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:29am

Saw Comet today w/Scott.  He was great. Voice much more distinct and more intense than Oak in my opinion.  Show was sold out and he got raves.  

Tkt Office said they haven't made a decision on rush tickets for 9/3 since it's sold out, but if they do have rush, she urged folks to show up super early.  She said they've had folks at 4 am in some shows. 

I met a woman who had seen the show 43 times during its run and will be at every performance until its end. She didn't offer that data.  I was seated at the sunken bar across from his drum set. Prior to show starting, he mentioned the woman sitting next to me had seen it 43 times.  She looked embarrassed. At intermission, I asked if it was true. She said yes b/c she loves the music and cast and planned to see every show until it closes.  I figured she must've been $12K in the hold b/c she said she'd only do stage seating. Way to go for her, but sorry to see it go for all.

10086Sundays
#401 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:35am

I feel much better about the number of times I've seen Groundhog Day now.

Did you happen to get her name? An August Wilson staff member told me about a woman who saw Jersey Boys over a thousand times. Maybe she found a new show to love.

schubox
#402 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 12:25pm

I was at last nights show as well. Scott was great. Definitely a slightly different take than Josh and Dave, but great. This was my third time, and the energy is always high from the cast, but the energy from the audience was the highest I've felt. Huge applause breaks, crowd 100% in to it.

And I know there's been some talk of crowd diversity in threads about this show, but this had to be one of the most diverse crowds I've ever seen. And people were emotionally wrecked by the end. Such a great show, I'll miss it

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#403 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 2:36pm

No, 10086Sundays, I didn't catch the name of the woman who saw show 43x.  She seemed shy about talking at all.  Late 20s, early 30s Asian woman, waist length hair, petite, nicely dressed.  She only told me she had a ticket for all the remaining shows which will put her over 50. She's not part of the company b/c I asked that.  She only said she will not sit anywhere but the stage b/c that's the best view. Agreed on that.

I would assume an August Wilson staff member isn't paying full price for tickets to see that many Jersey Boy shows.  I did find it awful that the GC ticket folks couldn't even get an autograph from Josh when I asked. She responded "even we couldn't get his graph."  The cast manager did seem a bit unfriendly, tho some in the house said "that's typical."  Even the sound engineer seemed grouchy when I said hello and complimented him.  The whole production needs a valium IV to calm those folks down.

Today I called telecharge to exchange my next ticket for another date, and the agent told me she's heard some  ticket buyers who saw Oak weren't impressed with him, but a busload of women from out of state were unhappy with Scott on the day they arrived and found Josh had called out sick.  They wanted their money back b/c he wasn't as good.  To Josh, of course not.     I thought Scott gave it more passion than Oak, and I thought his voice was better than Dave's.   

One ticket person told me not to be surprised if GC shows up off Bway again. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#404 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 2:48pm

JayElle said: "One ticket person told me not to be surprised if GC shows up off Bway again. "

Why would they have any insight into the show's future plans?!

jbird5
#405 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 4:12pm

haterobics said: "JayElle said: "One ticket person told me not to be surprised if GC shows up off Bway again. "

Why would they have any insight into the show's future plans?!

"

Not necessarily insight, but the show does have a cult following and already has had many incarnations. A scaled down version might work well  off Broadway.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#406 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 4:34pm

I wonder if they would look into building another tent? Perhaps it could be like the first stop of their tour. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

10086Sundays
#407 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 6:57pm

Jayelle - Probably not the same woman then, sounds too young.  And the JB woman was a regular patron, not an August Wilson staff member.  It was a staff member who told me about her.

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#409 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 7:11pm

Well I'm going back to see Dave Malloy on Tuesday. God help my credit card. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#410 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 7:14pm

Ben stiller was at today's performance 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#411 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 7:29pm

Per Great Comet's Instagram live, the audio stopped working at the show today. Charming and The Ball went acoustic apparently. 

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#412 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 10:08pm

Yikes....sound not working for the Ball and Charming?  Are the sound engineers protesting?  I noticed they no longer give stage patrons instructions on what to do,eg, keep bags away from floor, etc. Wow.

In answer to why ticket rep said this may wind up off Bway, I presume they based that on experience.  Look at Jersey Boys and Fantasticks.     We were talking with a 2 inch plexiglass barrier between us.  The rep said she was being moved to Dolly and she shook my hand by sticking her fingers under the glass where you would slide yr credit card. On my side I grabbed her fingers. It was like two folks having a moment in a prison. We both laughed.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#413 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 10:26pm

Okay folks, this can't get any funnier.  I just watched Last Week w/John Oliver from Sunday's show, 8/13.  He spent considerable time on the nightmare of North Korea and showed how accordions are a big hit in NK.

He showed a group playing them to American tunes.  Then the incredible end of the show shows Weird Al Yankovic (spelling) playing a song pleading  NK not to nuke us.

Screw Oak, Mandy, & their "little dog too." (Wizard of Oz if u didn't get it.)

Why not get Weird Al to play Pierre?  He plays great Accordion, especially in lederhosen. No need for a Hamilton star.  I'm sure Weird Al would bring folks in droves and the audience would love to see him toot that accordion horn and really accentuate an alcoholic, worn out Pierre.  Come on, lots of parts are funny so why not take it over the top with Weird A?

Where are the creative folks for Howard Kagan?

And if that doesn't work, NK is a potential tour stop for all the accordion players in GC???

If you don't have HBO, HBOnow, or HOBgo, find a friend.  Weird Al's routine w/ the accordion was priceless.

Sorry, but I'm trying to find humor to distract my distress over the ending of GC.  Wonder if health insurance would cover a GC withdrawal illness?   THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

ps, I was there on 8/19 and noticed some audio issues for several minutes.  Okay, we need to extend the show to make up for lost audio bars on the sheet music....are you listening Howard????

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#414 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 10:58pm

Don't worry about your credit card PoisonIvy...we're all there, except for the pretty young lady who has seen the show 43+ times.  

I agree this will be the cult classic like Little Shop & Rocky Horror.  

I'm most distressed b/c I'm sure a lot of the cast will find other shows, but what makes them priceless is having them all together.  I've been buying tkts (w/o worrying about the bill) b/c it reminds me of the Ham orig cast.  Where else would you get a group of folks who can sing, dance, and play an instrument all at the same time and be less than 35 yrs old?  To me, the talent is incredible.   What is that expression about walking and chewing gum at the same time?

From my perspective, this cast could eat a Thanksgiving dinner, roller skating, playing the violin, and singing Xmas carols all at the same time.  I've never seen anything like it, and I thank God that I did get to see them. Yes, Ham was great. But GC was incredibly special.  So, who among the cast can play Bob Hope's "Thanks for the Memories" song????  Assuming any of you even know who Bob Hope was.  I'm dating myself with pleasure.cheeky

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#415 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:11pm

I agree about the versatility and talent of this cast. Something else that the widely circulated video doesn't capture is the manic energy of the cast. In the banquet I was sitting close enough to Lucas Steele to see him heaving, throat hoarse, during the Balaga scene. I thought he was done but one second later there he is again, dancing up a storm and the next thing I know he has a fiddle. I have no idea where he gets the energy to do that every night. 

Also this has been mentioned before but it's really sad that one of the most diverse ensembles will be jobless soon. Rachel Chavkin and the rest of creative really walked the walk when it came to assembling a diverse cast. It wasn;t just one or two POC dropped in the swing ensemble. The show really was a melting pot.

HSky
#416 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:17pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well I'm going back to see Dave Malloy on Tuesday. God help my credit card."

Um, this Tuesday, the 22nd? Dave tweeted that he won't be doing the 22nd or the evening of the 30th and Scott will be on. (Although I know the feeling. I just splurged and grabbed a banquette seat for my final time on the 30th.)

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#417 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:28pm

I saw this at ART with Scott Stangland and fell in love. I wasn't convinced that Josh Groban was the right casting, but I bought an onstage ticket this past April and fell in love all over again. Now I have a ticket in the rear mezz for the final performance and I'm happy that I'll be seeing Dave Malloy in the role. This show deserved to run longer, and I hope it gets a revival with better producers and receives the kind of appreciation it deserves. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#418 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:34pm

HSky said: "poisonivy2 said: "Well I'm going back to see Dave Malloy on Tuesday. God help my credit card."

Um, this Tuesday, the 22nd? Dave tweeted that he won't be doing the 22nd or the evening of the 30th and Scott will be on. (Although I know the feeling. I just splurged and grabbed a banquette seat for my final time on the 30th.)

"

Oh no. Should I get a telecharge exchange or should I just see it with Scott? Choices, choices ... And I have a perfect front row mezz seat too.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#419 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:49pm

poisonivy2 said: "HSky said: "poisonivy2 said: "Well I'm going back to see Dave Malloy on Tuesday. God help my credit card."

"

Oh no. Should I get a telecharge exchange or should I just see it with Scott? Choices, choices ... And I have a perfect front row mezz seat too."

Amber will be out on Tuesday. Kennedy will be making her Helene debut (source).

JustAnotherNewYorker
#420 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:58pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well I'm going back to see Dave Malloy on Tuesday. God help my credit card. 

"

You're preaching to the fellow broke Ivy. I've got tickets for the ghd final (and comet final) plus I'll need at least one more visit to each for my daughter

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#421 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:03am

I've left future Comet visits up to chance, basically I've told friends they should see it AND I would go with them, so if that happens, fine. If not, I'll just go to the final show...

That said, seeing Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen on Saturday was a bit odd, as I didn't realize I'd be across the street and next to Comet. If only CFA was 10 minutes shorter, I could have second acted Comet...  THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

HSky
#422 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:10am

poisonivy2 said: "Oh no. Should I get a telecharge exchange or should I just see it with Scott? Choices, choices ... And I have a perfect front row mezz seat too."

Tough call. I guess I depends on who you really want to see. I know you expressed some reservations about Dave Malloy's voice not being your style further upthread, but there's definitely something special about seeing the creator of the piece in his own work. However, Scott's my favorite Pierre.

No matter when you go, I'm pretty certain it'll be a blast. Wednesday was the first time I'd gone since the closing announcement and both my friend and I thought the cast was on fire and the audience was also into it more than usual. Add in reports of the wave and a sing along going on during a tech stop today and I think the energy is just going to be magical in that building over the next 2 weeks.

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#423 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:26am

I've seen the show twice with Grobes and Denée and loved it, but I saw the show again Saturday night and Scott and Lauren Zakrin really took it to another level. I found myself wholly invested in a way I hadn't been before, even though I knew the story inside and out from listening to the off Broadway album hundreds of times. Lucas, Amber, Brittain, Grace, et al, were amazing as usual, but Scott and Lauren Zakrin's performances were really poignant and affecting in a way that I hadn't seen before. Super bummed I'll never be able to see them as Pierre and Natasha again. 

I see a lot of fans of Scott, but anyone else like Lauren Zakrin's Natasha best? Or anyone have any thoughts on Shoba's Natasha, which I haven't been able to see, or any other notable understudy?

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#424 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:51am

In all my years of Bway,  I've never seen any group of folks perform like this.  I love them. It's hard to believe they can sing, dance, and play an instrument all at the same time while many of us can barely chew gum and walk.

They look so heathy, that I signed up with a gym hoping I can get to 30% of their activity!   God, Allah, George Carlin, and the Force be with them all.

I have the incredible fortune of seeing the cast intact except when Pierre or Natasha were out.  I give my kudos and respect to Balaga (Paul), Dolokave (Nick), Anatol (Lucas), Andre (Nick B), Brittain (Mary), Grace (Marya),  and the cast and leading ladies for being there for what I could see were 99.9% of the time.   If I could take the power that be behind an alley and kick them for closing this show, I would.  How many times we hear about movies that were classified as duds only to become cult classics bringing in the $ years later. 

Tho I've seen Ham 10 times, the GC doesn't compare.I saw the Prince of Bway.  In that show, there was a line quoting Sondheim:  "you can have a financially successful show that is artistically a failure;" or " you can have an artistically successful show that is a financial failure."   Pretty much the lyric.  

GC is the artistic success even tho it's supposedly a financial failure b/c dumb decisions led to that.

If nothing else, I'm grateful that I had the luck or opportunity to see this production with all original and great sub actors.  

The theater is beautiful and the performers and performance wonderful including the grouchy sound guys.

If I had to name my top bucket list items, the GHC would be it.  I can't help but sit back and wonder how all their grandparents and parents enjoyed them in various school productions.  As a collective, I've seen them all.

And for that, I  extend my incredible appreciation and thanks.  And I damn the fools who cut it too short. And if they were near me, I'd throw flour balls at them.  Uhhhhhno

Videos