pixeltracker

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration- Page 17

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

Addendum
#400Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:53am

"The boy from..." Faith Prince performed it at The Palladium right before all this craziness started, Billy Stritch on piano, and she was amazing!

Updated On: 4/27/20 at 12:53 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#401Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:56am

ljay889 said: "Fun fact: the same exact melody of "Flag Song" is used for "It's In Your Hands Now" in Road Show.

Some personal highlights for me:

Katrina Lenk completely in her element with a gorgeous rendition of "Joanna."

Raul's powerful"Take Me to the World"

"Someone ina Tree"

Donna's gorgeous"Clowns"

Of course, "Ladies"

Jake/Annaleigh

Patti and Bernadette bothdoing quiet and poignant numbers.

"Im Still Here."

"

yesI'm Still Here was cute and moving..I was expecting Sunday but not disappointed at all "Someone in a Tree" heart

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/27/20 at 12:56 AM

benfox2 Profile Photo
benfox2
#402Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 1:29am

This was amazing. I think I enjoyed this more than his 80th. People really pulled out the deep cuts, and I feel the situation only enhanced Sondheim's words.

I appreciated how everyone truly gave it their all. No one phoned it in from home.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#403Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 2:24am

I know people are weird about the Into the Woods movie (I loved it)
But you cannot deny as we saw in tonight’s performance

MERYL STREEP ACTS EVERY WORD AND SUBTLETY OF SONDHEIM’S LYRIC

And she did so as the witch too.

So she doesn’t have a crystal voice, her acting on his songs moooreee than make up for it.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#404Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 2:33am

Bernadette Peter's subtle high notes are just as moving as ever.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Boq101
#405Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 6:19am

IslandBoy27 said: "Bettyboy72 said: "Judy Kuhn nailed my fave rare Sondhiem song. I am so glad she chose it. I wept. Katrina singing Johanna made my cry too. Stunning."

Did it not bother anyone else that she changed the lyrics from her/she to him/he?

Just pick a different song if you can’t sing the actual words. This is to honor him. Sing his words.
"

What a ridiculous thing to say. She's been singing this song in concert for decades. Do you really think the man who currently has a show in which a role has changed gender is going to throw his arms up over a coupe of pronouns? Lord help yourself. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#406Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 6:23am

My god Bernadette's song was so fitting. "Hard to see the light now. Just don't let it go. Things will turn out right now".

Mandy is an EMPTY PARK singing #8? WOW

Raul and Donna and Judy gave incredible acting-performances.

LADIES WHO LUNCH WAS SO HILARIOUS. 

So personal of Patti to do "whistle" rather than try and belt the house off.

What an AMAZING concert.

---

Did I miss something? Who and when did someone sing "I'm Still Here"? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/27/20 at 06:23 AM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#407Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 6:55am

qolbinau said: "My god Bernadette's song was so fitting. "Hard to see the light now. Just don't let it go. Things will turn out right now".

Mandy is an EMPTY PARK singing #8? WOW

Raul and Donna and Judy gave incredible acting-performances.

LADIES WHO LUNCH WAS SO HILARIOUS.

So personal of Patti to do "whistle" rather than try and belt the house off.

What an AMAZING concert.

---

Did I miss something? Who and when did someone sing "I'm Still Here"?
"

It was the last song, and it was sung by a ton of different Broadway people. Kind of like a 'we are the world' moment

Darreyl with an L!

amaklo
#408Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 7:13am

darreyl102 said: "qolbinau said: "

Did I miss something? Who and when did someone sing "I'm Still Here"?"

It was the last song, and it was sung by a ton of different Broadway people. Kind of like a 'we are the world' moment
"

Keep watching after the credits. What a great show.

Philly Theater Girl
#409Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 7:15am

I'm catching up on this thread now and am shocked at all the complaints/comments about the technical difficulties, start time and it not being live. At least one person said 'pathetic'. Some people need to chill out. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#410Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 7:22am

Raul’s performance was also sooo good. And doing someone in a tree on webcam like that? Genius!!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#411Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 8:25am

I have been going to Broadway musicals since the Summer of 1970, when i saw the original production of Company...this was one of the most exciting and emotional and joyful evenings i have ever spent "at" the Theatre...so many great wonderful segments, too many to single out...but hearing Lin-Miranda sing Giants In The Sky, and Patti singing Anyone Can Whistle were 2 moments that really hit home with me as they are two of my personal favorites...but everyone involved should be so proud!!

Updated On: 4/27/20 at 08:25 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#412Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 9:55am

Listening again this morning. It's a nearly perfect concert. hope they keep this up on YouTube for a while.

Favorites:

• Broadway Musicians - "Overture" (Merrily We Roll Along)
  • Sutton Foster - "There Won't Be Trumpets" (Anyone Can Whistle)
  • Katrina Lenk - "Johanna" (Sweeney Todd)
  • Elizabeth Stanley - "The Miller's Son" (A Little Night Music)
  • Mandy Pantinkin - "Lesson #8" (Sunday in the Park with George)
  • Lea Salonga - "Loving You" (Passion)
  • Laura Benanti - "I Remember" (Evening Primrose)
  • Chip Zien - "No More" (Into the Woods)
  • Michael Cerveris - "Finishing the Hat" (Sunday in the Park with George)
  • Ann Harada, Austin Ku, Kelvin Moon Loh & Thom Sesma - "Someone in a Tree" (Pacific Overtures)
  • Raúl Esparza - "Take Me to the World" (Evening Primrose)
  • Donna Murphy - "Send in the Clowns" (A Little Night Music)
  • Christine Baranski, Meryl Streep & Audra McDonald - "The Ladies Who Lunch" (Company)
  • Annaleigh Ashford & Jake Gyllenhaal - "Move On" (Sunday in the Park with George)
  • Patti LuPone - "Anyone Can Whistle" (Anyone Can Whistle)
  • Bernadette Peters - "No One Is Alone" (Into the Woods)
  • Ensemble - "I'm Still Here" (Follies)

Least favorites(not many)

• Neil Patrick Harris - "The Witch's Rap" (Into the Woods)
  • Aaron Tveit - "Marry Me a Little" (Company)
  • Randy Rainbow - "By the Sea" (Sweeney Todd)
  • Lin-Manuel Miranda - "Giants in the Sky" (Into the Woods)

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 4/27/20 at 09:55 AM

BCfitasafiddle
#413Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 9:56am

Elizabeth Stanley. Period. Probably the best performance of The Miller's Son I've seen in my life. Brilliant, phrasing, diction, wow. That's how you live a song. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#414Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:08am

Considering everything, I thought the only dud was NPH, who seemed sort of uncomfortable and uncharacteristically low energy... and also seemed to be visibly reading the lyrics.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#415Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

"

I am curious as to who belted out and held the last note longer than anyone else.  So many faces that I could not find  the singer

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#416Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

"

I am curious as to who belted out and held the last note longer than anyone else.  So many faces that I could not find  the singer

BCfitasafiddle
#417Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:10am

ggersten said: "Did I miss something? Who and when did someone sing "I'm Still Here"?"

"

I am curious as to who belted out and held the last note longer than anyone else. So many faces that I could not find the singer

"

Robyn Hurder admitted to it being her! Haha!

Owen22
#418Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:24am

I'm not even a huge Kelli O'Hara fan, but I am surprised no one is noticing her brilliant reading of "What More Do I Need"??  Is it because of it's low recognition factor? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#419Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:25am

I was surprised we got nothing from West Side Story or Gypsy and that no one sang "Being Alive".

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Owen22
#420Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:28am

John Adams said: "Owen22 said: "Falsettolands said: "slightly off topic, but has their been a production of Pacific Overtures that's cast a female identifying actor as The Reciter?"

Signature Theater outside of DC had a female Reciter.
"

The earliest form of Kabuki was created by a woman to be performed by women who played both the male and female roles. They also 'performed' as prostitutes, which added to the popularity of the art form.
"

And my condolences to you on the passing of Peter Hunt.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#421Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:48am

I had so much fun with this last night, in spite of AND because of the delays. My social media feeds were blowing up with cabin fever-induced laughter and it wasn't like most of us had a late train to catch anyway. (I switched to the GLAAD concert feed for a while.) I can't wait to watch this again more uninterrupted.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

WestEndGal
#422Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:48am

I thought it was going to be a live show so a little disappointed that it was pre-recorded in the main, but it was all in all a beautiful show. My highlights / observations:

- Donna Murphy’s ‘Send in the Clowns’ was EVERYTHING. Fave performance of the evening <3

- No one does what NPH does / can do better than NPH!

- Ladies Who Lunch was a mood

- Raul sounded gorgeous and so glad he got a song after the trauma of the opening disaster lol

- Why no ‘Losing My Mind’?! Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

- Bernadette Peters is ageless holy c**p! I wanna know her secrets!

- Probably in a minority but Jake Gyllenhaal has the weirdest forced vibrato ever.

- I was living for the attempts by some performers at creating mini recording areas with hanging sheets and carpets lol

- Melissa Errico’s ‘Irish Erotic Art’ book was sending me!

- Everyone kept tweeting that Lin-Manuel’s voice has gotten stronger and I just kept thinking how weak it was, eek! Not knocking his considerable other talents tho!

- I know Annaleigh Ashford is a critical darling but I feel like the public is still sleeping on her and idk why! Love her

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#423Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:49am

Owen22 said: "I'm not even a huge Kelli O'Hara fan, but I am surprised no one is noticing her brilliant reading of "What More Do I Need"?? Is it because of it's low recognition factor?"

actually the Twitterverse was lit up while Kelli sang...i think maybe because she was so early in the show people tend to forget as there were so many golden apples on this glorious tree of a show!

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#424Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 11:19am

Owen22 said: "And my condolences to you on the passing of Peter Hunt."

Very kind of you. winkGreat show, always sad when a creative passes.

Videos