HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#425HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 8:27am

Returned to the production again last night, and It was even more magical the second time. Not surprisingly, things have tightened significantly since the first preview, and Bette Midler has already grown significantly in the part. Gavin Greel was indeed out last night, but dare I say it, I actually preferred his understudy. Golden voiced Christian Dante White exudes wide eyed joy. It was also nice seeing one of the leads played by a person of color.

The production continues to absolutely be one of the most enjoyable evenings I've ever spent in a Broadway theatre.

Whateverjsays
#426HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 8:47am

Michael Bennett said: " Returned to the production again last night, and It was even more magical the second time. Not surprisingly, things have tightened significantly since the first preview, and Bette Midler has already grown significantly in the part. Gavin Greel was indeed out last night, but dare I say it, I actually preferred his understudy. Golden voiced Christian Dante White exudes wide eyed joy. It was also nice seeing one of the leads played by a person of color.

The production continues to absolutely be one of the most enjoyable evenings I've ever spent in a Broadway theatre.

"

Interesting. Gavin was my main draw to this (aside from Bette) so I hope he comes back soon. I'd love to see Dante, but after I see Gavin! I'm already looking to book a second visit to the show. I'm not seeing it until the end of April

sng
#427HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 8:52am

can somebody tell me if they cut the finale where they sing parts of the songs? does the curtain come down after the hello, dolly reprise?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#428HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 8:59am

So happy that Christian got to go on.  I can't wait to see this next Friday and Saturday.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#429HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 9:10am

The curtain comes down after the Hello Dolly reprise. They release some confetti to mark the marriage of Horace and Bette (now dressed in white) and the whole cast sings Hello Dolly! and then the curtain is rather abruptly lowered.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#430HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 10:16am

sng said: "can somebody tell me if they cut the finale where they sing parts of the songs? does the curtain come down after the hello, dolly reprise?"

The finale containing reprises of Sunday Clothes, Dancing, It Only Takes a Moment, and the title song has not been cut. It serves as the bows.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/29/17 at 10:16 AM

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#431HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:10am

Kad said: "sng said: "can somebody tell me if they cut the finale where they sing parts of the songs? does the curtain come down after the hello, dolly reprise?"

The finale containing reprises of Sunday Clothes, Dancing, It Only Takes a Moment, and the title song has not been cut. It serves as the bows.

Right, Kad.  It has ALWAYS been used as the bows - you can hear the big build up for the final bow by Dolly as the title song swells!  I'm very relieved to hear they haven't cut that - always a favorite reprise of some of the best songs in the show! :)  Can't wait...seeing it tomorrow night (hope Gavin is back)... :)

"

sondmon
#432HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:11am

There are a fair amount of cheap/face value tickets for today's matinee on Stubhub if anyone's interested..

TerrenceIsTheMann
#433HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:15am

^Genuinely considering skipping class for this....

sondmon
#434HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:31am

TerrenceIsTheMann said: "^Genuinely considering skipping class for this....

"

Good thing I'm currently unemployed.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#435HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 12:42pm

Is someone from the cast out today? Bette? Gavin? DHP? I wonder why the low prices.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#436HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 12:43pm

Pretty sure it's just because Wednesday matinees aren't in as high-demand as evening or weekend performances.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#437HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 1:43pm

Holy cabooses! $16.50 ($25 including all the fees) for left mezz row G! Wow! If I were unemployed I'd go to times sq right now!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#438HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 1:54pm

Whoa! I hope this happens on future Weds matinees.

RJ14
#439HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 3:51pm

Kad said: "

"

Yeah they keep the reprises but they don't actually sing in those, just the music except for the title song when Bette comes out. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#440HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 3:53pm

You can find the curtain call on Instagram .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#441HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 4:04pm

RJ14 said: "Kad said: "

The finale containing reprises of Sunday Clothes, Dancing, It Only Takes a Moment, and the title song has not been cut. It serves as the bows."

Yeah they keep the reprises but they don't actually sing in those, just the music except for the title song when Bette comes out. 
"

The ensemble absolutely sings. It's an extensively staged bows; the dance ensemble dances out to "Dancing,"  followed by the singing ensemble doing the promenade for "Sunday Clothes", followed by the principals and then Bette.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RJ14
#442HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 4:14pm

Kad said: "RJ14 said: "Kad said: "

The finale containing reprises of Sunday Clothes, Dancing, It Only Takes a Moment, and the title song has not been cut. It serves as the bows."

"

The ensemble absolutely sings. It's an extensively staged bows; the dance ensemble dances out to "Dancing,"  followed by the singing ensemble doing the promenade for "Sunday Clothes", followed by the principals and then Bette.

"

Oh so maybe they just added or removed the singing? The one I attended (25th) didnt have the singing.

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#443HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 4:28pm

Oh, I hope the finale has the singing!  It's such a great "summary" of all we've heard, and builds to such a crescendo for Dolly's bow!  Well, I'll see it tomorrow night, so I will know soon enough... :)

pnewelljr
#444HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 5:35pm

Has anyone tried for SRO recently? Was the line bad?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#445HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 5:42pm

Wick3 said: "Is someone from the cast out today? Bette? Gavin? DHP? I wonder why the low prices."

I saw today's matinee.  Gavin was out and Christian Dante White went on for him.  He was fabulous and sang gorgeously.

The show is completely delightful.  Midler was great.  She's everything I'd hoped she'd be.  Not only brilliantly funny and clearly having a great time, but wonderfully delivering all the required charm, grace and poignancy.  
The real surprise for me was DHP, whom I had difficulty imagining in the role.  He makes Horace his own and is totally winning.   The entire cast is first rate.  Loquasto's sets and costumes are outstanding.   Just about everything is perfectly right and, what's more, adorable.  I have only one relatively small caveat, and I'd love to hear what others have to say about it: the parade (i.e., the scene and set piece - not Midler's rendition of Before the Parade Passes By, which I loved) doesn't have the impact one might expect.  But it's a minor objection to what otherwise is a spectacular revival.  And perhaps the staging will improve before opening 

In a lovely moment, Midler gave Dante White a much deserved extra bow which the audience ate up.

By the way, unless I somehow completely missed it (because I was on a veritable musical theatre high) there was no singing during the finale.

Updated On: 3/29/17 at 05:42 PM

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#446HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 5:57pm

I was also there this afternoon and had an incredible time. I went in hoping it would be good, and it exceeded my expectations.

I spent the entire afternoon on cloud nine, thinking to myself: "This is exactly what a Broadway Musical should be, in the grandest sense of the term." When the ensemble comes out in their colorful costumes during "Put on Your Sunday Clothes," I teared up because I was so overwhelmed with joy. When Midler appeared at the top of the stairs in that red dress, I clapped so hard I could feel my hands throbbing throughout "Hello, Dolly!"

As has been stated elsewhere on this thread, Midler is delivering an excellent performance, and it's partially because she looks like she's having the time of her life up there. It's so wonderful to see such a renowned diva clearly enjoying her craft, and not just enjoying the accolades that it reaps.

I'm a huge Gavin Creel fan so I was bummed to see that he was out this afternoon, but Christian Dante White was charming and in great voice. Plus, now I have a good excuse to make a return visit!

When Dolly notes that Irene is crying at the beginning of "Before the Parade Passes By" and Irene responds "Oh, Dolly! The world is full of wonderful things," I found myself smiling and nodding in agreement. And whenever you find something -- a piece of art, a friend, a lover -- that makes you feel that way, it's a truly, truly beautiful thing.

sassylash3s
#447HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 6:15pm

RJ14 said: "Kad said: "RJ14 said: "Kad said: "

"

"

Oh so maybe they just added or removed the singing? The one I attended (25th) didnt have the singing.

"

When I saw the show on 3/24, the ensemble definitely did not sing any of the reprises other than the title song when Bette came out for her bow.  I was disappointed and was surprised that nobody else had mentioned it here.  Perhaps they only tried cutting it for a few performances?

Trish2
#448HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 6:25pm

How is mid-balcony seating for this show? Are you miles away? The view?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#449HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 6:36pm

"How is mid-balcony seating for this show? Are you miles away? The view?"

The first time I saw the show, I was in the balcony row E on the left side, third seat in. The view is fine...the only problem is when Bette or any of the ensemble members are on the walkway that is in front of the stage, everyone leans forward and it is sometimes difficult to see. However, it did not affect my enjoyment of the show, and if that's all you're able to afford, it is 100% worth it.

The second time I saw it (with my partner and his family), we splurged for front mezzanine seats and the view was outstanding. I haven't really splurged on anything since Liza's at the Palace back in 2008, so I guess something comes along once every ten years that I feel deserves to be seen from a great seat.  DOLLY is certainly worth every penny - whatever you're able to afford.

Videos