News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 19

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

BCfitasafiddle
#45074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:40pm

For an award that was basically default, that was one of the best speeches of the night. If not, the best. Bravo, Aaron.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#45174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:42pm

I wanted to see The Sound Inside SO BAD. I heard nothing but raves for it. Happy for Mary's win.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#45274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:44pm

And hopefully this is the last we hear of Karen Olivo. 

Congrats to Adrienne! 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#45374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:45pm

How many non-white winners? Just curious

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#45474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:45pm

Where is Karen?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#45574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:47pm

SmoothLover said: "Where is Karen?"

Wisconsin. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#45674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Mister Matt said: "I wanted to see The Sound Inside SO BAD. I heard nothing but raves for it. Happy for Mary's win."

She was transcendent. She deserves that win. The Sound Inside was the best play of the season. It is eclipsed by the showier, more hyped plays though. 

Audible has the play on audio performed by Parker if you want to hear her perform it. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SFFrontRow
#45774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

She probably sent her understudy.

theminutepast
#45874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Where’s the hate for Karen Olivo coming from? Because some people judge her dancing or judge her from taking a break from Broadway after West Side?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#45974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:48pm

Karen won't be watching tonight because she's "being kind to herself this week" and refuses to watch the show. 

So yeah.

Congrats, Adrienne!! Beauty! 

Sutton Ross
#46074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:49pm

theminutepast said: "Where’s the hate for Karen Olivo coming from? Because some people judge her dancing or judge her from taking a break from Broadway after West Side?"

Neither. 

BdwyFan
#46174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Inheritance for the win! My prediction now.

bway0
#46274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "BroadwayGuy12 said: "bway0 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "I thought it's being rumored A Christmas Carol is supposed to return to Broadway?"

I really hope so. One of my favorite things I saw in ‘19. Quite possibly my favorite actually. But just checked the website and didn’t see anything but tour dates listed so far. I’d guess if it was coming back more info will come in Oct since performances would start in Nov.
"

They announced in October 2020 their intentions to return to Broadway for the 2021 holiday season, but that has since been scrapped in favor of the mini-tour along the west coast. In the recent casting announcement for those productions, though, the producers stated that they still hope to return to New York/Broadway in the coming years.

https://www.playbill.com/article/a-christmas-carol-aims-to-return-to-broadway-in-2021

https://www.playbill.com/article/bradley-whitford-and-francois-battiste-will-be-scrooge-in-2-productions-of-tony-nominated-a-christmas-carol
"

Ahh, thank you!!! I hadn't heard anything recent about A Christmas Carol, so I'm glad to read these.
"

Yes thanks for that info! 

PipingHotPiccolo
#46374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Mister Matt said: "I wanted to see The Sound Inside SO BAD. I heard nothing but raves for it. Happy for Mary's win."

it was a good play and she gave a GREAT performance.

i havent been paying much attention to this silly half-season nonsense BUT i have to say that Adrienne Warren, Mary Louise Parker and Andrew Burnap all gave absolutely phenomenal performances worthy of all the praise, so that is at least a nice outcome. (And couldn't be happier for Burstein and Tveit, both immensely talented Broadway veterans). 

I will say that Lois Smith was fine but hardly special when I saw the Inheritance. And while I thought David Alan Grier did great work (in a tricky role), Paul Hilton was robbed, fleeced, hosed, and on and on. 

Chowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
#46474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

This has been great so far

Sutton Ross
#46574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:51pm

It ended early. The awards for Best Musical/Play will be presented in the 9pm hour on CBS. 

Dolly80
#46674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Adrienne !!

Updated On: 9/26/21 at 08:51 PM

theminutepast
#46774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Ah, so the hate is coming from that old chestnut of she relied on her understudy too much / couldn’t do eight shows a week. I’ll be the odd one out here and say I just don’t care.

BCfitasafiddle
#46874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Adrienne's soul and spirit lit up that room and my screen. Her performance will be, forever, one of the most astonishing things I've seen onstage. She's only just beginning!

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#46974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

I loved Aaron’s speech too. I wish I would have seen Parker’s performance. Is it coming back?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#47074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:52pm

I feel like we'll only see Karen again if Lin releases his next play (whenever that may be) and he places her in it. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#47174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

theminutepast said: "Where’s the hate for Karen Olivo coming from? Because some people judge her dancing or judge her from taking a break from Broadway after West Side? "

Google Los Angeles Times (article from a few days ago) or just anything she’s said about anything when COVID hit.  She’s eating Doritos at home in Wisconsin.  By her own choice. You asking this validates you don’t follow Broadway.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#47274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

JDonaghy4 said: "Paul Hilton was robbed, fleeced, hosed, and on and on."

THIS ALL DAY.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#47374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Bettyboy72 said: "Mister Matt said: "I wanted to see The Sound Inside SO BAD. I heard nothing but raves for it. Happy for Mary's win."

She was transcendent. She deserves that win. The Sound Inside was the best play of the season. It is eclipsed by the showier, more hyped plays though.

Audible has the play on audio performedby Parker if you want to hear her perform it.
"

I will definitely check that out!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Sutton Ross
#47474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 8:53pm

theminutepast said: "Ah, so the hate is coming from that old chestnut of she relied on her understudy too much / couldn’t do eight shows a week. I’ll be the odd one out here and say I just don’t care."

Nope. But, if you are actually curious simply ask someone and stop assuming things. 

Videos