pixeltracker

'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige- Page 2

'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#25'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:45am

And the fact is also that Paige has more in the bank than Boyle, so who's laughing now? And Cowell has more than both, and Brightman probably too. What does the Q rating of Paige in America have anything to do with it, btw? America being the home of Heidi Montag and the Kardashians covering every magazine and topping all internet searches (besides, of course, "Lady Gaga Hermaphrodite?"). America is not the cultural center of the world, though it seems some here think it is, or feel it is some indicator of artistic and/or financial success...

Namo, if you actually read what I wrote you would realize what a horse's a** you have made of yourself when trying to condemn and criticize me, as usual and always. Better luck next life, lover. I guess I will throw you in the DO NOT REPLY pile along with JoeKv, I hope you two don't eat each other alive too quickly since you have so much in common by talking out of your p*ssies, and I don't mean mouths.

P

FindingNamo
#26'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:53am

Your creepy George and Martha pet names notwithstanding (and really, they do make the flesh crawl), you now seem to be arguing having more money is the arbiter. Fine. I guess.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#27'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:07am

Someone's drinking tonight.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#28'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 2:43am

Elaine has nothing to be jealous of. Watching thier duet together, Page is light years ahead of Boyle in terms of performance, poise, interpreting a lyric, phrasing, and anything else that can be compared. Boyle frankly looked out of her league when sing ing against Page.

They also didn't blend very well, and why did no one take the harmony on "He can't be mine" in any of the choruses?

I just don't get the Boyle thing. She has a decent voice. And that's as high a compliment I will give it. Decent.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Gothampc
#29'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 9:06am

Where would Elaine Paige be without high heels and Tim Rice? If you sat more than four rows back during Sunset Boulevard, it was like watching an ant crawl around on the Chrysler Building.

Susan Boyle's cd is a huge disappointment. But criticizing her is useless. She will fade from memory in a year and we'll be on to why Brad Pitt is breaking up another relationship.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#30'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 9:49am

All of the fuss is a wee bit entertaining for me. For years, we have had marginally talented hacks who get record deals not because of how well they sing, but because how good they look.

Now, we have a somewhat talented singer basically getting a record deal because of how she looks (as in the voice was much better than folks thought it would be based upon her looks) and everyone is in shock and pitching a fit (or in the case of one on this thread, clearly off his meds).

Looks have always been a part of music. Usually you have people who cannot sing who look like they can - Susan Boyle is just the inverse of what is normally the case. Get over it.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#31'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 10:00am

On one hand the haters are criticizing Susan for not having any training and on the other you're judging her lack of showmanship. I think the point is exactly that- the "ugly gnome" came out from under a rock and let out a beautiful sound. Of course she doesn't have the histrionics down pat yet. Maybe in time she will. And you all compare her to Elaine who has been performing on a stage for eons.

meanwhile, although I'm not going to buy Susan's cd, I love listening to her sing.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#32'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 10:05am

I've yet to find the actual original quote, but I'm thinking that had Elaine said "Boyle's performance video went viral" instead of (apparently) that she/it was "a virus that swept the world," this would have been a nonissue.

As it is, I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks she meant anything else.

Gothampc
#33'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 10:18am

A teachable moment from Dreamgirls:

"No one can see her on record!"

And you thought Broadway musicals were just fluff and entertainment.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#34'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 10:26am

I think Elaine is just mad because she realizes most people don't even know who she is.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#35'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 10:34am

Is Susan as good as Elaine? No. Did Susan campaign and work for her popularity? No. Is that her fault? Not that I can tell. She auditioned for a talent show and the producers, judges, audience and media turned her into an overnight celebrity. She could be a flash in the pan, but I'm certainly not going to criticize her for going on the ride that she was so graciously offered. She didn't take the same path as Elaine and she doesn't have to. Chances are, she will not have the same career as Elaine, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about. Why didn't we all get hysterical about Charlotte Church not measuring up to Barbra Streisand?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#36'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 10:50am

She said, "She was like a virus really that spread across the world in a nanosecond."

I agree with Reginald that she was referring to Boyle's BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT video (which is how most of us first heard of her), but I think she could've phrased it better.

However, Paige's subsequent comments like, "She is a girl with no experience of anything to do with theatrics, the music business, or art in any way," and, "She has done terribly well to be a major star overnight with YouTube," makes Paige sound like she's eating a big bowl of sour grapes.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#37'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 10:52am

Oh who gives a rats ass?

There isn't one aspiring performer on this board that wouldn't trade places with Susan Boyle in a heartbeat.

We can all self-righteously say that paying your dues is essential but anyone who says they would refuse the opportunity for a fast track to success and the end of the struggle is a liar.
Updated On: 1/29/10 at 10:52 AM

TheatreDiva90016
#38'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 11:20am

Rats ass, or cats ass?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

FindingNamo
#39'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 11:28am

Or razzmatazz. Shk-aaaaaah.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
TheatreDiva90016
#41'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:45pm

"apologises"?!

What, no Z?!

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#42'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:05pm

It's the British way of writing "apologizes", if I'm not mistaken. :)

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

TheatreDiva90016
#43'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:11pm

Well, La Dee DAA!

Perfectly Marvelous
#44'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:13pm

I'm just saying.

No need to get sarcastic with me.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

TheatreDiva90016
#45'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:15pm

No, that was directed at the British in general.

You know I loves you, baby!

Perfectly Marvelous
#46'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:18pm

Oh, okay. :) Sorry I misinterpreted that!

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#47'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 3:20pm

"I think Elaine is just mad because she realizes most people don't even know who she is."

When she's being quoted by a (reactionary and sensationalistic) tabloid published in a nation where she is a household name and has been for thirty years I respectfully don't think this comment has validity.

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#48'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 3:29pm

Hm. I think this is a case of a sensationalistic headline leading people to the wrong conclusion. The actual remarks clearly make it sound like Elaine Paige means "viral" -- like any sensation that bursts into the scene and spreads fast -- vs. "virus" like the plague.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#49'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 3:40pm

"When she's being quoted by a (reactionary and sensationalistic) tabloid published in a nation where she is a household name and has been for thirty years I respectfully don't think this comment has validity."

I have to disagree, Scripps. Elaine Paige is not a household name anywhere, except for households which are very versed in Broadway info. Not that I'm the best criterion, but I've lived in NY for 30 years and just heard of her a few years ago when someone mentioned she had been in Sunset Blvd. on Broadway. I've never seen nor heard her.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES