pixeltracker

SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production- Page 2

SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#25re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:46pm

blaxx, are you talking about Sister Act or Shrek? Because with Sister Act it's not like they didn't try to use the popular music from the film. They just couldn't get the rights to it due to the fact Motown wouldn't give it to them. Shrek on the other hand, clearly is clearly using some of the music in the film that was popular. The "Welcome to Duloc" song right before, what's up Duloc is a good example as well as the usage of I'm a believer for the exit music.

I do think that this will be added to the show more along the lines of the same way Bright Side Of Life was at the end of Spamalot. No, I don't mean an entire theatre sing along of the song. I do mean an encore type thing after the bows are finished.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#26re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:53pm

I was talking about Sister Act, sorry if I wasn't clear. I just think it's funny they went for it, seems to me like a major risk.

Again, not to say it doesn't work, but you'dt hink that to exploit the franchise they would either take what people bought in the first place or leave it alone. I wonder how it will do business wise once it crosses the pond.

Sorry to threadjack.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

tommigyrl5
#27re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:44am

It is still curtain music. No one sings it. I was there today.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#28re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:46am

"It is still curtain music. No one sings it. I was there today."

Well, they are adding it this Friday. You saw it on Wednesday. Per the link on the first post:

"Now, beginning with the performance on Friday, October 2nd, the entire company will perform 'I'm a Believer.'"

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 10/1/09 at 12:46 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:48am

Yeah, this will save it.

tommigyrl5
#30re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 1:05am

Oh...I work there. They dont tell us anything. My bad. I thought they were saying that it was happening already...

I hope it does something! There were only 686 people in the house today... Updated On: 10/1/09 at 01:05 AM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#31re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 1:06am

I heard it's simply going to be the curtain call finale and nothing more. It's not being added in as some large score change, just added to curtain call.

And, could we stop damning this show to hell for one second?

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 10/1/09 at 01:06 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 1:22am

And, could we stop damning this show to hell for one second?

Love, this was damned from the get go. We are just amused.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ClumsyDude15
#33re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 1:25am

I personally love the show as you can clearly tell from the avatar and signature. The show has really great music and truly exceeded all my expectations of how it was going to be. The cast is pretty flawless and perfect in my mind, and I personally hope it lasts as long as it can, which hopefully is a lot longer than most think it will.

Personally, I think Dreamworks will let it keep running until they have the tour in order, which I'd assume is sometime around March. That's my sad, but grim looking thought, however I hope it runs longer.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

adillalil Profile Photo
adillalil
#34re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 1:59am

Yeah, I'm curious who is creating the "popular demand".

I don't know about the cast, but that song is incredibly irritating to me. I can't imagine having to sing it 8 times a week. :p

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#35re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 2:44am

"Personally, I think Dreamworks will let it keep running until they have the tour in order, which I'd assume is sometime around March. That's my sad, but grim looking thought, however I hope it runs longer."

I don't like to see shows close, and I certainly didn't hate Shrek, but the constant ticket discounting promotions indicate they are desperate to sell tickets. And judging by the current grosses, I don't know if this show will survive until March.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ClumsyDude15
#36re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 4:13am

Thank you at least being sincere in your reply, millie.

I know, the whole ticket thing scares me and despite what a friend of mine, who works for Shrek, has told me about business picking up, I'm still nervous. I really just hope it picks up and people get to see this truly fun and surprisingly heart-warming show.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#37re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:42am

My prediction- within ten years, you won't be able to drive ten miles without seeing at least one high school or regional Shrek. It's going to be the next "we have to do this show to show off our special effects budget" like Beauty and the Beast was five years ago.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#38re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:39pm

I wonder how Jeanine Tesori feels about this? SHREK is faaaaaar from her best work, but it does feel a bit like a slap in the face.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

#39re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:52pm

I like Shrek a lot as well. However, it wont last past Feb or maybe even Jan. I also think that ITH could go down in Jan as well.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#40re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/3/09 at 7:36pm

The song is after curtain call and the whole cast is onstage. Personally, I LOVED it. It was really good especially for their first time.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#41re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/3/09 at 7:38pm

I just have no idea why they did this...

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#42re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/3/09 at 7:57pm

I think Shrek and Young Frankenstein will be big regional/high-school shows. I hope those rights aren't released for awhile!!

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#43re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/3/09 at 8:16pm

Sorry, gotta say it, this show was doomed from the moment they chose Tesori over O'Keefe & Benjamin to write the score. The sense of humor is just totally wrong for the characters based on how they were written in the movie. Anyone who's heard O'Keefe & Benjamin's Shrek demos can attest to their being superior to Tesori's music for Shrek.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/3/09 at 9:18pm

I don't know, I would say a lot of the blame lies with the book. Although 'Fire Hot Lady' is vastly to superior to 'Donkey Pot Pie'- AND it would probably have eliminated most, if not all, the issues with that scene.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#45re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/4/09 at 12:17pm

"I don't know, I would say a lot of the blame lies with the book. Although 'Fire Hot Lady' is vastly to superior to 'Donkey Pot Pie'- AND it would probably have eliminated most, if not all, the issues with that scene."

Donkey Pot Pie is one of the worst songs ever. God, you'd think that would've gotten cut during previews, huh? The book is awful too but the score really stuck out to me as A) Not being written in the correct vein of humor considering the source material and B) Just painfully bad.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#46re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/4/09 at 7:26pm

I can say with authority: MY HS will not be mounting this production. Ugh.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#47re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 10/4/09 at 7:38pm

I think the score is superior to the book and direction. The later is the where the whole production really failed in my eyes. Just a conceptual mess.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Videos