Favorite Theater in NYC

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#25Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 11:34am

PReeves2 its any theater in the city not just broadway

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

bwaylvsong
#26Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 12:00pm

The Palace because it's the most beautiful IMO and it's where I saw my first show (BatB). The Majestic, Studio 54, New Amsterdam, Lunt-Fontanne, and Met Opera are gorgeous, too.
The Marquis isn't anything to look at but it's the most comfortable.
The 47th Street Theatre (Puerto Rican Traveling Theatre) is special to me because it's where I made my professional debut.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#27Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 2:04pm

The Winter Garden, even though I have not been there since 1980 when I saw 42nd STREET before it transferred to the less likable Majestic. Yes, I purposely missed CATS and MAMA MIA.

The beautiful Winter Garden is exceptionally wide and there is not a bad seat in the house. It was the theatre where I saw my first Broadway show, PETER PAN with Mary Martin in 1954. Other shows I have enjoyed there include WEST SIDE STORY, THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, and FUNNY GIRL with Barbra Streisand.

I wish the mega hits would leave the Winter Garden alone; I would like to get back there.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Gothampc
#28Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 2:16pm

The Hellinger because it's where I saw my first Broadway show. It's so beautiful inside (do a thread search and find those that have taken pictures of the interior). God loved it so much that he couldn't be without it and so he changed it from being a theater into being a church.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

MeggilyWeggily08 Profile Photo
MeggilyWeggily08
#29Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 2:31pm

The Vivian Beaumont is definately my first favorite. Next comes The Booth, for it's intimacy. I agree that the Palace is absolutely gorgeous.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#30Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 4:37pm

Marquis & St James

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#31Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 5:14pm

Marquis, Hirschfeld & Broadhurst

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#32Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 7:14pm

In NYC, period, the Delacorte and the Public's Anspacher. Favorite Broadway, the Barrymore.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#33Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 7:16pm

Ew, the Marquis blows.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#34Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 7:48pm

Let's see...

The Richard Rodgers' seating arrangement is brilliant. Exceptional sightlines.

The Booth is adorable (love the fake windows inside), and Studio 54 and the New Amsterdam always amaze me at how pretty they are. Also love the St. James. And the Eugene O'Neill just feels so cozy.

The worst is, without a doubt, the Minskoff. Loved the lobby, hated the theatre.

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#35Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 10:29pm

Favorites: The Gershwin only because its so impressively big and the way the clockwork and everything stretches out into the theatre and the huge map of Oz, its just very impressionable, and Wicked will always be my favorite. The Broadway because I was absolutely mesmerized by the huge chandelier. And the Lunt-Fon because its the perfect absolute gorgeous old theatre that fondly reminds of a day where the theatre was considered the most glamorous and cultured thing you could do.

Seeing Next to Normal soon, I cant WAIT to see the theatre after everyone is singing its praises!

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#36Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 10:39pm

Only one for me, and the ghosts of this tenant live on.

Favorite Theater in NYC

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#37Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 10:55pm

I've only been in The Winter Garden, Palace, Gershwin, Shubert, & Majestic.

My vote would have to go to the Palace & Winter Garden.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 11:17pm

Since it is not confined to Broadway houses, I would than have to say the old Loews 175 th Street & the restored Beacon a/k/a the Little Roxy.

Poster Emeritus

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#39Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 8:08am

The New Amsterdam is stunning, and if you happen to be sitting center orchestra, it's great. The mezz and balcony? Not so much. Their legroom sucks, too. But its aesthetics are unmatched on Broadway.

I like the Richard Rodgers as well, for viewing.

Walter Kerr might be my least favorite for legroom and the balcony makes you feel like you're going to tip forward onto the stage. Don't even think about it if you have vertigo.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Gothampc
#40Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 8:18am

"Walter Kerr might be my least favorite for legroom"

Ever sat in the Hirschfeld balcony? Unless you're under 5'5" you're guaranteed to be uncomfortable.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#41Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 12:15pm

I have not been to all The Broadway houses, but been to most of them,

My favourite is;

St James
Vivian Beaumont
Majestic
Imperial
Hilton

Hank
#42Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 12:35pm

Majestic, after having seen Phantom from the front row center. It was awesome!

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#43Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 1:04pm

I have counted everyones vote on this thread and at the moment The St James is most peoples favourite, with 8 votes.

Here are the votes;

1 - St James (Favorite Theater in NYC
2 - Richard Rogers (7)
3 - New Amsterdam, Booth (6)
5 - Marquis , Vivian Beaumont, Lunt Fontanne (5)
8 - Winter Garden, Palace (4)
10 - Mark Hellinger, Imperial, Majestic, Shubert (3)
14 - Belasco, Al Hirschfeld, Walter Kerr, Studio 54 (2)
19 - Brooke Atkinson, Music Box, Henry Miller, Plymouth (Schonefeld), Friedman, Neil Simon, Neadlander, Broadhurst, Barrymore, Gershwin, Broadway, Hilton (1)
Updated On: 6/30/10 at 01:04 PM

gypsy4
#44Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 1:07pm

The New Amsterdam!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#45Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 1:44pm

I have to go with the Hirschfeld. I'm surprised to hear someone complain about legroom in the second tier. I'm 6'1 and have had MUCH harder times at Studio 54, the New Amsterdam, and even the Barrymore.

I will also always love the St. James for being home to my first show. And I'd probably have the Winter Garden in contention if I had seen anything other than Cats and Mamma Mia there.

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#46Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/30/10 at 1:44pm

"The Booth is adorable (love the fake windows inside)" I agree! I also like the lounge downstairs at the booth!

I also like the jacobs alot. idk why

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

mamaleh
#47Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 7/1/10 at 8:42am

For memories of my many visits to THE BOY FROM OZ, I'd have to say my number-one favorite theater is the Imperial. And the sightlines aren't bad, either.

For great sightlines, an Off-B'way theater--the Second Stage.

For intimacy, the Lortel (also Off-B'way).

kooky
#48Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 7/1/10 at 9:11am

I love the graduated seats ( I can ALWAYS SEE) at the Vivian Beaumont theatre & the Marquis ...... this guy with a HUGE head always follows me around from show to show and sits in front of me ALWAYS ..... but at these 2 venues I can still see.. almost !

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#49Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:08am

lol

Videos