pixeltracker

Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....- Page 2

Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#25Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:03am

Streisand & Hathaway would be perfection.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#26Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:15am

Oh it will be great. I hope they do it.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#27Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:58am

Yes please...

I hope this happens.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#28Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 6:04am

La Streis
Jim Broadbent
Anne Hathaway
Kristen Bell

And bring in LuPone as Mazeppa

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 6:25am

While I agree that Babs doesn't LOOK like she's nearly 70, I'm still not sure she might not look TOO old. But ACTING/singing wise? She's be brilliant. I think she'd give Rose a new spin.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#30Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 6:56am

LuPone would never be involved unless she is Rose, lol.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#31Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:22am

"We're talking about 'Gypsy' being a bookend for us," he said. "She began with me, and this will be a grand farewell for us."

Is it just me or does that sound like a murder/suicide threat?

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#32Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:26am

If anybody even suggests Lea Michele for Louise I'll vomit on my keyboard.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com
Updated On: 1/5/11 at 08:26 AM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#33Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:46am

"If anybody even suggests Lea Michele for Louis I'll vomit on my keyboard."

Can Matt Morrison as Tulsa be far behind?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

raker
#34Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:47am

Has Louise, the plain and untalented sister, always been played by a goddess? You'd think that someone in Rose's showbiz life would have looked over and seen Natalie Wood or Laura Benanti and advised her to lose the blonde and make the gorgeous sister the star of the act.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#35Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:52am

im not psyched about this. i dont know 70 is just old. Like really old.

Um have you seen her picture any time recently? She doesn't look a day over 50.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#36Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:56am

"She doesn't look a day over 50."

There is a HUGE difference between looking good and looking younger than you are. She is 68 years old. You could maybe, MAYBE say she could pass for 60ish. But she looks well over 50.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

bwayphreak234
#37Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:07am

^ I was exaggerating... my point is that she does not look 70 and definitely has it in her to play this part and do a spectacular job. But anyways, fair enough, she does not look a day over 60.

bwayfan7000
#38Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:07am

She only has to play the mother of young girls for the beginning of the story. When the girls are grown-ups, which would be 3/4 of the story, really, she won't be much too old at that point.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#39Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:08am

I'd like to see Kevin Kline as Herbie.

bwayphreak234
#40Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:12am

^ He would be good as Herbie.

Gothampc
#41Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:34am

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there rumors that Barbara was going to do the film version that eventually became the Bette TV version?"

Actually Tyne wanted to do the tv version, but Bette got to the producers and convinced them to use her instead. The Streisand film version was always a separate thing because she didn't want to do tv.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

bryan2
#42Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:35am

I like it a 70 year old playing a 30 year old mother of young daughters..it is the dumbest idea yet..she looks good for late 60s but still looks 60s ..I love Babs and wasnt Rose Hovak
an Irish woman?? but now she has played
Dolly Gallagher and Rose Hovak ..she is now an honorary irish woman
Updated On: 1/5/11 at 09:35 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#43Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:37am

I think this will be amazing if it happens. Barbra is great at directing human stories-she's a very sensitive and emotional person. i think she would find the humanity in all the characters and draw that out. I hope this happens.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Gothampc
#44Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:41am

I know Streisand wouldn't go for it, but I would like to see:

Angela Lansbury as Elektra

Chita Rivera as Tessie Tura

Elaine Stritch as Mazeppa

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#45Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:42am

As I mentioned in another thread - the Streisand talk was for a film version in the 80s that would have teamed her with Madonna and director Emile Ardolino - she also was approached for the 1974 revival and has conttemplated recording songs from the score since the beginning of her career -- so obviously its material she's been sitting with for a while.

Obviously the idea of her finally playing the role at this point in her career is somewhat absurd on a few levels (directing herself to boot?) but you know what who cares. If she wants to do it - it will certainly be an event - and will be another interesting cd/dvd to add to the collection.

Like others I'll believe it when I see it - but I think it would be preversely fabulous if it were to actually happen.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#46Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 9:54am

Don't underestimate what the public will buy. The movie buying public doesnt know how old the real Rose was and would certainly suspend their disbelief.

Hell, if Meryl Streep can play a 40 year old in Mamma Mia and no one bats an eyelash, Streisand as Rose will work just fine.

As we all know, Barbra will be photographed perfectly, so she will definitely pass as younger.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#47Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 10:07am

I like to imagine Rose is becoming one of those roles like Hamlet or Medea that is more an exercise in ability than true suitability for the role. I mean those role has been played by actors (sometimes cross gendered) from 15-80.

Stritch at 85 has said she still wants to play Rose. I imagine Chita Rivera would still be riveting in the part as well. As would Audra McDonald and probably even Laura Benanti.

The fact that the real Rose was historically only in her 30s at the time of the end of GYPSY is probably incidental at this point. Its a musical 'fable' - for film a 70 year old Rose may be a little much - but Streisand doing it would obviously be the only reason why another film remake would go into production - so I say why not.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#48Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 10:26am

I can hear her now... "Fahst I'm ta young for Dolly and naw I'm too ald fah Rose! What do I haf ta do?"

Nice bookends for her musical movie career... Updated On: 1/5/11 at 10:26 AM

landryjames2
#49Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 10:56am

I'm very excited about the prospect of this. And although I think Streisand is fine director, I wish she would let herself be directed in this particular project. Her performance might be (will be) great anyway, but I think the right director could take her to new levels in the role.

Videos