News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

ONCE Reviews

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:30pm

Thanks for the input, broadwaydevil and ACL2006. The discounts right now go until April 22. I'll give it a couple of weeks and hope they come up with another one before the nominations or the ceremony.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#26ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:35pm

The Chicago Tribune is a RAVE!!!!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/theaterloop/ct-ent-0319-once-broadway-review-20120318,0,1031866.column

"There are plenty of romantic Broadway musicals. But "Once," the gorgeously crafted and intensely moving new show that opened on Broadway on Sunday night after a seamless transition from downtown to the main stem, is part of a much smaller and more rarefied group: musicals that are actually wise — even when that means being counterintuitive — about the joys and anguish of life and love, and that send the viewer's mind spinning with ideas, feelings and maybe even a few changes in personal priorities. "Once" does all that. Several times over."

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#27ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:38pm

The Philadelphia Inquirer is mostly negative.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20120318_Broadway_review___Once_.html?cmpid=138886364

"How many songs with the same plaintive, repeating chords and the same melancholy lyrics about your same lovelorn self can you string together to make a Broadway musical?

The answer is 14. (Plus reprises.) Taken one at a time, the 14 songs of the new musical Once, which opened Sunday night, work well enough on their own. Stitched together to create a musical, though, they severely test your quotient for plaintiveness - at what point does wearing a heart on your sleeve turn from a metaphor into an actual bloody mess?"

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#28ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:39pm

With Wicked, The Lion King, Book Of Mormon and Jersey Boys being premium shows, then Newsies, Evita, maybe Nice Work If You Can Get It and Once is there room for anymore premium shows? because there is an increase in quality shows, it doesn't corresponds that more people will go to the theatre?

After Eight
#29ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:43pm

"at what point does wearing a heart on your sleeve turn from a metaphor into an actual bloody mess?"

After song 1.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#30ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:43pm

Ashamed to be from Philadelphia and associated with their review.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:51pm

PHANTOM:
What do you mean by "premium shows"? Ones without discounts? It's a little too early to tell if those that have them now(Once & Nice Work) will continue to have them, or if those that don't (Newsies & Evita) will continue NOT to need them. (Of course, if Newsies DOESN'T extend, they won't need discounts.)

I'm very glad to hear the (mostly) positive reviews for the show -- I loved it and can't wait to see it again at the end of the month!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:55pm

aasj, do you work for the newspaper or something? :) I am from Philly also and he pretty much wreote what I felt about the film. It was good for a lazy afternoon and even at 85 minutes felt a bit long. I would not pay to see it onstage. Once was enough. JMO

Just give the world Love.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:59pm

I didn't love the film -- or even like it all that much, to be honest. I had to attempt to watch it a number of times. However, I was incredibly moved by the stage show. But I understand your hestitance.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#34ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:00pm

Sorry…word choice. I don’t work at the newspaper, I just hate that ours is pretty much the only pan in the bunch.

And the show is SO much better than the movie. Better performances, pacing, and it’s extremely theatrical (chairs and tables as the set, etc.)

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#35ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:03pm

Delighted to see Brantley's about-face!

"When I first saw the musical “Once” at the New York Theater Workshop last December, it registered as a little too twee, too conventionally sentimental, for the East Village. Yet on Broadway — at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theater to be exact, where “Once” opened on Sunday night — what is essentially the same production feels as vital and surprising as the early spring that has crept up on Manhattan."

http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/theater/reviews/once-with-steve-kazee-and-cristin-milioti-at-jacobs-theater.html

Updated On: 3/18/12 at 10:03 PM

ryantbo2 Profile Photo
ryantbo2
#36ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:06pm

I totally agree - I don't know what show Mr Shapirio was seeing for the Philadelphia Inquirer but it wsasn't the show that I saw. That's why I see shows in NYC more than I do in Philly

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#37ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:08pm

What a special, special show!

And, tonight was a special night, with the creative team called to the stage with loving introductions and praise given by Steve Kazee.

Congratulations to all involved with this production and performance. Beautifully designed, staged and played.

Bravo!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

srg129
#38ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:08pm

Theatermania is very positive:

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/reviews/03-2012/once_52622.html

ryantbo2 Profile Photo
ryantbo2
#39ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:11pm

I agree dramamama611 - while I wasn't a huge fan of the film I felt the show had so much heart and involved the entire cast of characters. My roommate saw the movie the week that we saw the musical and almost didn't go. But he was so moved by the stage version. We are planning on driving from Philly to NYC to see the show a 2nd time soon

srg129
#40ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:22pm

Talkin' Broadway is (big surprise!) negative:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/Once.html

singer73192 Profile Photo
singer73192
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#42ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:03pm

Brantley's well written turnaround has made me want to see a show I had little interest in, Sounds like a hit to me.
Congrats to all!
The Award competition is ON!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#43ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:04pm

very pleased with Brantley's review.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:04pm

Very glad to see all these positive notices... and Brantley's near about-face.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#45ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:12pm

I just have to say, Brantley ALWAYS does an about face. He didn't like LuPone in GYPSY at City Center, but on Broadway, he wrote a gushing love letter to her. (Granted, she DID get better on Broadway, but to go from a purely tepid response to a passionate rave?) Ditto ONCE now.

Does he feel that he should be on the bandwagon for shows his colleagues liked originally when they transfer? Is he really that bad of a critic?

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#46ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:15pm

...Does he feel that he should be on the bandwagon for shows his colleagues liked originally when they transfer? Is he really that bad of a critic?....

I guess the answer will unfold when he reviews NEWSIES.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#47ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:15pm

Yes, thanks to Brantley, this show will now be a big hit, and this review is as undeserved as his general panning of DEATH OF A SALESMAN. The show is a 2 and one-half hour bore, every bit as "twee" as he stated in his original review. This is the same thing that he did with FOLLIES, which he mostly panned in DC and then did an almost complete turnaround in New York, although the show was only slightly better.

I say, save your money. This show is the emperor's new clothes.

srg129
SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#49ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:46pm

This looks like it's received the best reviews of any musical of the season! Looking forward to this one.

Videos