pixeltracker

Songs performed at Tony telecast- Page 2

Songs performed at Tony telecast

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#25Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 12:52pm

If Bonnie and Clyde gets nominated they still may not perform...Finian's Rainbow revival

I think the B&C producers might see a Tony performance as a sound investment since they want the show to have a life regionally.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

LegallyBroadway2
#26Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 12:58pm

Spider-Man should do Bouncing Off The Wall and fade into Boy Falls. I can't stand the black theatre puppets toward the end of Bouncing Off The Walls.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#27Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 1:26pm

@dramamama611
No there are absolutely no producers in common between Newsies and Bonnie and Clyde...Newsies is a DISNEY production so it only has ONE producer DISNEY....and DISNEY would never produce Bonnie and Clyde because their is no reason for them to waste their money on such a show...the only shows that they have produced that they didn't create themselves were/are the Arcadia revival and Sister Act

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#28Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 1:33pm

DISNEY would never produce Bonnie and Clyde because their is no reason for them to waste their money on such a show

They're isn't?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#29Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 1:34pm

Apparently. Can't blame them. It's there money.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#30Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 1:37pm

Apparently. Can't blame them. It's there money.

They should spread it around more. They have two much.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 2:27pm

When Def West's magnificent production of BIG RIVER was up for Revival, they were told they couldn't perform because the show had closed.
That sucked.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#32Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 4:27pm

I would love to see Jayne Houdyshell doing Broadway Baby, and I hope she's nominated. Of course "Who's That Woman" and the wonderful Terri White would be awesome too, echoing what Auggie said upthread.

Updated On: 4/30/12 at 04:27 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#33Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 4:39pm

NEW MUSICALS
Once - Gold/Falling Slowly
Newsies - Seize the Day
Nice Work - S' Wonderful
4th show: Spiderman - ????/Ghost - medley

REVIVALS
Follies - Who's that Woman
Evita - Medley
Porgy & Bess - Summertime
Superstar - ????/Godspell - medley

On A Clear Day won't get nominated, as well as any other show that's closed and doesn't get nominated(i.e. Bonnie & Clyde, Lysistrata Jones & Leap of Faith[trust me, it's coming]), so they won't perform.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#34Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 4:51pm

the real issue if they nominated and do perform is Jermeny's Newsies contract and if its exclusive, he wont be allowed to perform with them

I doubt Disney would hold him to it, though. It's not as if Disney is apt to lose any business to Bonnie & Clyde at this point. And it's not as if there isn't precedent. One of my favorite Tony broadcasts was seeing Judy Kuhn perform in both Rags and Les Miserables in the same evening.

But if they want to get around it, just have Laura perform Dying Ain't So Bad. Gorgeous ballad that doesn't really require anything in the way of costumes, sets or staging.

As for Newsies, whatever has the least amount of Jeremy doing the trademark Cher WHAYL would be preferable (meaning, avoid Santa Fe completely). It is horribly distracting on the CD. I can't believe a music director really wanted to hear it like that.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 4/30/12 at 04:51 PM

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#35Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 4:59pm

"But if they want to get around it, just have Laura perform Dying Ain't So Bad. Gorgeous ballad that doesn't really require anything in the way of costumes, sets or staging."

Sure.. but the likelihood of anyone other than Melissa van der Schyff (rightfully so) getting a nomination tomorrow are slim and completely unlikely. "You Love Who You Love" similarly does not have much action/sets/etc going on either (I believe Blanche is holding a bible and Bonnie her apron).

Mister Matt
#36Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 5:04pm

And for Evita, I think a Buenos Aires/And the Money Kept Rolling In medley would be perfect. Showcase both stars as well as the (highly praised and sure to be nominated) choreography without having to resort to Don't Cry for Me or A New Argentina, both of which have been featured numerous times.

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#37Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 5:05pm

Sorry for you, Mister Matt, but with the fact that Newsies, Chris Gattelli, and Jeremy getting nominations tomorrow, they will want to showcase him quite a bit if they can. I want something new, but I have a feeling it'll end up being the Seize the Day (showcase choreo)/Santa Fe (showcase Jeremy) bit yet again.

Also, I don't even know what you're talking about when you say "Cher WHAYL"... there is nothing distracting about him on that song to me.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#38Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 5:06pm

At the Olivier Awards, Sharon D. Clarke performed "I'm Outta Here" from GHOST.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#39Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 5:07pm

"Seize the Day" would be great but I suppose a medley would also work for "Newsies" to showcase more songs. As far as "Nice Work", "They All Laughed" would be the only song that would showcase the entire cast but it would be a bit out of context since no one who hasn't seen the show would understand the couples. Not sure if they could do a medley as well to showcase the Gershwin songs. But if not, I think I would like to see "S'Wonderful" performed. It is one of the most charming numbers I've seen this season.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Mister Matt
#40Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 5:28pm

Also, I don't even know what you're talking about when you say "Cher WHAYL"... there is nothing distracting about him on that song to me.

You don't hear the cloying head-voice wailing flip he does? Also the whiny scooping? He goes berserk with it in Santa Fe:

"I need space
And fresh AY-UH
Let 'em laugh in my face
I don't CAYR
Save my PLAY-EES
I'll be dere..."

But honestly, he does it to varying degrees in almost every line of the whole damn song. I was so excited about this recording, but Jeremy almost completely ruins it for me. He hardly does it at on on the Bonnie & Clyde CD, so it's really the Music Director that's letting him howl like crazy. It distracted me from the very first listen.

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#41Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 5:55pm

It could also just be that it's more obvious to you because of the accent he's using for Jack? I don't know. Like I said, I haven't noticed it/it just doesn't bother me, personally.

Mister Matt
#42Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 6:07pm

It's not just an accent, but the style of singing he's utilizing. It's the vocal flip that grates my nerves.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#43Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 7:12pm

Why is B&C even being discussed in this thread?

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#44Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 7:19pm

Why on earth would they perform "You're Going to Love Tomorrow/Love will see us through? Granted, I loved the four younger leads, but it just wouldn't make sense. It all depends on the noms tomorrow. If Peters is not in the list, they will not do loosing my mind. I think "Who's that Woman" will be it.

Although I love the idea of a "Loveland Medley".

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Mister Matt
#45Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 8:29pm

Why is B&C even being discussed in this thread?

Well, it started when someone brought it up. Then someone replied. Then someone else replied. And then someone else replied.

ChildrenwillListen
#46Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 9:13pm

I like it when shows do medleys. And I loved it when in 2009 and 2010 every show performed a snippet in the opening number. But I don't think they could ever top what Neil Patrick Harris did last year

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#47Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 9:37pm

BEST MUSICAL

Bonnie & Clyde - "This World Will Remember Us"
If it's nominated, this will be all that's in the budget.

Ghost: The Musical - "I'm Outta Here", "Rain", or "Unchained Melody (Dance)"
Right now it looks like Ms. Randolph will be the only nominee, so I would think they'd showcase her. Otherwise, I'd put Ms. Levy's AMAZING belt front and center, were I a producer. The third choice, while least likely, is putting it all out there, and showcases them all.

Leap Of Faith - "Rise Up" or "Are You On the Bus?/Leap of Faith (Medley)"
Belting = ticket buyers.

Lysistrata Jones - "Give It Up"
See above. But I doubt they're getting a nom. If they are nominated, I'd be stunned if they'd perform.

Newsies - "Seize The Day"
Why would they do anything else?

Nice Work If You Can Get It - "S'Wonderful" into "They All Laughed", or "Someone to Watch Over Me" into "Fascinating Rhythm".
They'll showcase Mr. Broderick and Ms. O'Hara in some way, and the more songs heard, the more ticket buyers likely.

Once - "The North Strand" into "Falling Slowly"
I think that we have to expect "Falling Slowly".

Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark - "Rise Above" or "Boy Falls From the Sky". OR (what I'd prefer) a performance of the Goblin/Spider-Man battle - the scene.
If it is nominated, they better do something SPECTACULAR.

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
Evita - "Buenos Aires"
I wouldn't show anything else.

Follies - "Who's That Woman?"
Come on. All the divas on a stage, and the tapping - and they have nothing to do it for but the love. I think that this was the strongest part of the revival and should be the part they showcase. Standing O for SURE here.

The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess - "Bess, You Is My Woman" or "It Ain't Necessarily So"
More likely the former.

Godspell - "Bless the Lord" or a Medley
Belting sells tickets.

Jesus Christ Superstar - "Superstar"
Belting sells tickets, and the title is oft repeated.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#48Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 10:19pm

I have a feeling Newsies will do Seize The Day. Not only is it a song that is from the movie and people know, but it showcases the choreography rather well. I have strong feeling that this show will get nominated for best choreography (and should win, in my opinion) and this is a good way of showcasing both that and the music.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Jonwo
#49Songs performed at Tony telecast
Posted: 4/30/12 at 10:31pm

If it is Seize the Day, I hope it's the longer version rather than the shortened version they've done before on TV. King of New York is great but Jeremy Jordan isn't in that number but it's another showcase for the choreography.

Videos