pixeltracker

Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods? - Page 2

Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#25Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 12:31pm

at the 2 screenings ive attended there was audible gasps from the audience when prince charming seduced the baker's wife...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 12:46pm

If you go to any movie, though, you'll see parents who just bring their kids to any movie, despite any rating or appropriateness. There were kids when I saw the new Chris Rock movie, which is not trying at all to be a soft-R, and I even remember kids being bored and confused (as they should have been) at Gravity, and even midnight movies will have people bringing babies. It seems a lot of people bring their kids to whatever movie they want to see rather than hire a babysitter... so, I wouldn't try to read too much into this. If people only go by the trailer to decide whether to buy tickets, that's sort of on them. Finding out this is a musical isn't much of a mystery.

FindingNamo
#27Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 1:04pm

There was an Into the Woods tie-in with the Broadway revival at Toys R Us. So it's not like the line hasn't always been blurry. The movie is "not for children" only insofar as the Grimm fairy tales weren't either, if we're honest.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#28Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 1:39pm

Just spent the week leading up to Christmas at Disneyland, and marketing there for Into the Woods is almost non-existent. Just movie posters set up outside the theater in the Downtown area.

Considering how much Disney is marketing its other current properties there like Big Hero 6, it seems that they have chosen very deliberately not to focus on Into the Woods for children, despite the rating. A wise choice.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#29Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 1:45pm

"It's interesting that no one is really talking about the solid box office performance of Annie thus far..."

It's made $29m in a week & a half, and seems to be dropping. With a $65m budget, it won't be profitable until well past $100m+, so it's gonna be considered a loser. And African-American led films often do most of their business in the US, without the huge overseas bump that pushes many other films into probability (sadly.)

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#30Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:17pm

You people are all crazy. What kind of 6 year-old needs to be exposed to Into the Woods? Regardless of the quality of the show, the ending could be described as bittersweet at best. Do 6 year-olds really need to see their favorite characters get killed off? Most of you are talking about children needing to be exposed to such sophisticated entertainment, but come on, we are talking about really young children. Young children should be exposed to magic and miracles, which is why we have Santa Claus. What are you teaching these kids at such a young age? That happy endings aren't real and life sucks? Little kids don't need to know that!

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#31Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:25pm

Also I'd like to point out that although the movie has a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 71 on Metacritic, for audience ratings, only 63% of people liked it on Rotten Tomatoes and the average audience rating was a 6.7 on Metacritic. Online reviews also tend to skew higher than the general public, so before you go on about how much everybody loves this movie, just look at the facts. People are not as in love with this movie as you want them to be. You can also read some reviews on reddit or Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes and see that some people truly hated this movie.

Starship
#32Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:28pm

I'm seeing it later today and I'd have to say that although Broadwayworld.com loves it, and a lot of my theatre friends do as well, from what I've seen it doesn't seem like the general public is as crazy about it. I would say it was received well (and certainly better than Les Miz) but it doesn't appear to be something that people are going back to see twice.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#33Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:41pm

Let's make everything happy-go-lucky and wonderful so they grow up with a delusional sense of reality and then have to adjust to real life! That's not confusing or anything for a growing kid! Great plan!

People are so lazy as to make entertainment to do the parenting instead of exposing them to these sorts of things and discussing them. Kids would have a better understanding of the world and what possibilities there are (good and otherwise) if parents just took their kids seriously and talked to them about things instead of underestimating their emotional stability. Assuming that no kid can handle real life or anything not gumdrops & rainbows is beyond stupid.

Kids can handle dark/dramatic/sad things - if the parent raised them to. A child would feel more secure seeing things (such as a princess dying) if they knew they could talk to their parents about it and gather understanding or perspective on it later. AKA having a safe place.

Or we can just play the Witch card and shelter our kids in a tower away from the world to 'protect' them. That way we can all give the Witch's Lament and Last Midnight a shot!

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 12/27/14 at 02:41 PM

decast
#34Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:46pm

Oh no sure, let's let the little ones watch traditional Disney fair where, ooh I dunno, SPOILER ALERT Bambi's mother gets shot, Simba's father gets murdered, Cruella DeVil wants to make coats out of family pets? Or maybe the cheery part of Up with the illness and death of the wife? Quasimodo's mother being killed? Such magic and miracles!
Disney has always had a dark side, I don't know why people are suddenly being surprised by Into the Woods when they insist on taking their kids. Children a remarkably capable of understanding if they're given the opportunity, things don't have to be scary these films can be an opportunity to open a line of communication between parent and child to discuss these things, even at a very basic level. Use the Wolf/Little Red story to talk about stranger danger etc.
Maybe we should just squirrel kids away til they're teenagers with Let it Go on repeat in the hope they'll never understand life.

Updated On: 12/27/14 at 02:46 PM

15minutecall
#35Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:50pm

Starship, the movie's been out 2 days and had a higher per screen average than any other major release on its second day. The other big movie released on 12/25 went down the same percent and both are considered to be perform g beyond expectations. What's disappointing in any of this?

Starship
#36Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 3:01pm

@GiantsInTheSky2 - Bravo to you! Exactly how I feel about it.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#37Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 3:06pm

Jpbran- First of all the budget (not including marketing) is $50 mil. Not $65. The movie will have made nearly $50 million by Sunday making back half of its budget in 4 days. It's also had the highest per theatre average of any majorly distributed film this week by a wide margin. It'll reach $100 million domestically easily by the end of its theatrical run. It also will gross well, though HOW well remains to be seen, internationally. This movie will make back its budget and marketing budget with some profit at the end, making it a success in Hollywood's eyes.

I guarantee you Disney is very happy right now with how this film is performing.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#38Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 3:10pm

"That happy endings aren't real and life sucks? Little kids don't need to know that!"

Yeah, kids don't need to know that until they've been pushed through the educational system and emerge with tens of thousands of dollars of debt and a realization that they're inheriting a world ruined by the generations that came before them!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

indytallguy
#39Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 3:12pm

wickedfan: JPbran was talking about Annie. Are you?

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#40Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 3:17pm

Gahhhh. No, I was talking about ITW. Thanks indytallguy. That's what I get for skimming.
::face palm::

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

phantom8019
#41Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 3:57pm

With Annie, I mean you need to take everything in perspective. The reviews were horrible and it's already made more than Nine did in its entire theatrical run. It is also closing in on the entire theatrical run of Rock of Ages.

Also, it hasn't been open a week and a half--it opened last Friday. It made about $30 million in 1 week: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=annie2014.htm

I am not saying it will reach $100 million. I am just pointing out it's not as bad as previous box office disasters.
Also, Annie made more on Dec 26 than it did on its Friday opening, so I not sure you can say it seems to be dropping:
https://deadline.com/2014/12/christmas-box-office-interview-hobbit-unbroken-into-
the-woods-1201337009/

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#42Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:00pm

I asked my nieces and nephew ages 8, 11 & 13 which movie they want to see Annie or Into the Woods they all said Annie.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

FindingNamo
#43Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:07pm

I saw a 9-year old black girl at the multiplex yesterday singing "Into the woods to GRANDMOTHER'S house…"

So you just never know.

And this literally happened in the original sense of the word literally.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Showface
#44Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:07pm

"Also I'd like to point out that although the movie has a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 71 on Metacritic, for audience ratings, only 63% of people liked it on Rotten Tomatoes and the average audience rating was a 6.7 on Metacritic. Online reviews also tend to skew higher than the general public, so before you go on about how much everybody loves this movie, just look at the facts. People are not as in love with this movie as you want them to be. You can also read some reviews on reddit or Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes and see that some people truly hated this movie."

Yeah, and not to the fault of the movie, but to the audience members who did not do their homework. A lot of the negative audience reactions come from, "I didn't know it was a musical!", or better yet, "this is not appropriate...it should be rated R!!!"

I would also like to point out that with general positivity, the negative ones seem to stick out more and detract from the positivity.

However, the people who did do their homework, and were at least somewhat informed on the story seem to be more pleased.

Audience reactions are still more positive than negative.

Not the film's fault that some people were/are lazy.

Joviedamian
#45Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:09pm

"Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?"

Me!

Consistency
#46Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:34pm

"so before you go on about how much everybody loves this movie"

So who exactly is Fantod responding to here? I'm struggling to find anyone in this thread who has made the assertion that everybody loves this movie. I mean, many of us are probably rooting for it to do well in front of a new audience since we're pretty attached to the material - but I doubt anyone here is deluded enough to think that every newcomer to the show is going to fall in love with it. In fact, the thread title itself seems to be an acknowledgement that it's a pretty hard film to market.

So yes - we know that some people won't like this. Some people hate musicals, and some people just don't like Sondheim - and that's just fine. Other people just won't like it because they're expecting one thing and get something else. And I do think it's unfortunate that many families are going to go see this based merely on the fact that it's the "Disney fairy tale" release of the Christmas season, without knowing anything else about what they're getting into.

With all that said, I'm considerably more interested in how those who are already at least somewhat familiar with the material are responding to it - and in that regard, a good majority of the reviews seem to be positive (if not raving.)

Incidentally, based on my Facebook page - as well as reviews on sites like Rotten Tomatoes, Reddit, & Fandango - it's also pretty clear that at least SOME newcomers to the show are liking/loving it. So that's always nice to hear.

Updated On: 12/27/14 at 04:34 PM

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#47Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:36pm

Annie was seemingly programmed by a computer to be a hit: recognizable property, updated with more modern music, box-office and Oscar-recognizable stars, advertising starting almost a year ahead, produced/promoted by Will Smith & Jay Z, etc... It's going to be considered a disappointment for sure, though not a colossal bomb like Nine. Annie cost more than ITW and has grossed only a smidge more in a week than 2-days of the less commercial ITW. (And sorry-- I thought Annie had been released on the 17th or 18th.)

Updated On: 12/27/14 at 04:36 PM

ads08
#48Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 8:52pm

I just saw it and the movie theater was packed with young children - which I didn't expect honestly. I was also further confused because eventhough the first two trailers were for a Disney/Pixar movie and the Spongebob Squarepants movie, the third trailer was for Selma - a movie made for a much different demographic than the first two movies.

The kids were all paying attention to the first 90 minutes of the movie, but the last half hour was clearly unbearable for some of them to sit through (it was pretty boring for me too)

RooMcGoo Profile Photo
RooMcGoo
#49Who was Disney's target demographic with Into the Woods?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 9:23pm

They definitely committed to keeping a lot of the nuances of the stage version, so I'd say the movie is definitely for adults while still being appropriate for children. It will be interesting to see what the legacy of the movie becomes as time goes on, if its thought of as a family/children's movie or not...

An Incomplete History of Into the Woods

http://roomcgoo.com/

Videos