pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15

ebontoyan
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 4:43pm

The tourist theater goers are not going to flock to  Fun Home.  So once everyone on here who's been gushing about this show has gone to see the show, it's audience will be dried up.  Or those that love this show so much can go again and again and again etc!  I may be wrong but that's how I see it!

Tom5
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 4:53pm

I'm also glad to see Hand To God is slowly but surely ascending heaven-ward. It's as good and funny as any play out there now.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 4:53pm

Neon, Gigi only filling 60% of their seats is not good.

Neon, We can figure that out by reading the grosses.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 4:59pm

Ebontryan,

I've noticed common things about your posts regarding Fun Home on several threads.  You have stated emphatically over and over that you have no interest in seeing it.  I can respect that.  And you constantly have to comment about how hard a sell it will be to tourists, and that it won't run long because of that, etc.  

What is the bug up your ass about Fun Home and your pretty clear desire to see it fail?  Don't go see it.  Fine.  You have your say as to why.  (Many times.) Now, just shut up about it.

And just for the record, I'd say the same thing to you if you were constantly on Doctor Zhivago (which I disliked) or any other show, whether it was widely loved or hated on here.  Refusing to see a show is certainly your option, but that also takes you out of the running to keep bitching about it.

That's how I see it!

Updated On: 4/27/15 at 04:59 PM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:03pm

NEON VS ROBBIE ROUND 2

GO!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

AnarchyinthePreK Profile Photo
AnarchyinthePreK
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:04pm

Hand to Go continues to rise - my question is: is it sustainable where it is now or does that rise need to continue? It can't be that expensive to produce...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:04pm

Everyone is aware Fun Home is doing well, right?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:06pm

"The tourist theater goers are not going to flock to  Fun Home.  So once everyone on here who's been gushing about this show has gone to see the show, it's audience will be dried up.  Or those that love this show so much can go again and again and again etc!  I may be wrong but that's how I see it!"

One would have thought that Next to Normal wouldn't sell well to tourists, yet it still did fairly well during its Broadway run.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15

An American in Paris' success is surprising. Must be a tourist-friendly show, non?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

jkstheatrescene
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15

Yup, I do, Kad!  Just tired of hearing about its failure potential from people who refuse to see it.

VintageSnarker
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:08pm

I would really like to do something else with my Wednesday. Is Zhivago like Honeymoon where everyone was certain it would close and then it inexplicably stayed open... at least a week past May 10?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:08pm

Oh, my comment was certainly not directed toward you, jkstheatrescene!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/27/15 at 05:08 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:09pm

jkstheatrescene^^^ Fun Home is not a failure...it's going to win Best Musical

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

jkstheatrescene
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:13pm

Thanks, Kad!

Robbie,  I know it isn't a failure!  And I hope you are right about Best Musical. My argument is not with you at all...

After Eight
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:16pm

"I would have bet a ton of money FH would be selling out and the hottest ticket in town."

It's early yet. 

Updated On: 5/2/15 at 05:16 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:17pm

re The Visit: The press/opening night carve out for the show is irrelevant. The show is selling very few tickets (and what it is selling are at a very low price). There is no causal relationship between the comps and the grosses-there was plenty of inventory to sell. Even if we assumed a 12.5% drop in revenue due to opening night, that leaves the show with a gross of about $200k, which means it is losing more money than Honeymoon did, than Living on Love is and just about any show that doesn't normally close pronto. They have exactly one week to turn this around, and if they don't sell over a million in tickets this week, running through to the Tonys out of respect for Chita is an act of charity.

re Chita and another show: she can say whatever she wants, and she may or may not mean it, but it is not Chita's call if this is her last show. After the box office we are seeing for this one, who is going to finance another? (Not to mention that it would have to be a role that could accommodate her limitations.)

The good news of the week: Neverland, Rotten and Hand to God. Everything else that's not tanking is in the grey zone. I'd guess at least 5 notices before mid-May.

ebontoyan
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:17pm

And the gushing continues lol lol And anyone who gives a contrary opinion is told to shut up.  Of course this is how it works.  But whenever I feel like giving an opinion I will continue to do so.  Thank you!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:18pm

Perhaps you should examinine the way you give them.

ebontoyan
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:21pm

What's to examine?!  lol I write what I think and if you or anyone else here don't like what I  write feel free to ignore or block me

Updated On: 4/27/15 at 05:21 PM

After Eight
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:24pm

"And the gushing continues lol lol And anyone who gives a contrary opinion is told to shut up.  Of course this is how it works.  But whenever I feel like giving an opinion I will continue to do so.  Thank you!"

Yes, that's exactly how it works around here.

I'm glad you will not be bullied into silence. 

And I hope more will follow your example.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:31pm

"And the gushing continues lol lol And anyone who gives a contrary opinion is told to shut up.  Of course this is how it works.  But whenever I feel like giving an opinion I will continue to do so.  Thank you!"

Actually ebontoyan, I look forward to your comments.  You are like my Broadway digital doppelganger on this board.  Most of your comments are spot on, in my opinion, and you have said the same about mine in the past.  Keep truckin' my friend.

jkstheatrescene
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:32pm

You didn't read what I wrote very carefully, e.  Please feel free to share your opinions.  Maybe you'd do better, though, to have more different opinions than more of the same one over and over and over.

You could very well be right that, long-term, Fun Home may be a hard sell, and I don't begrudge you the opportunity to say so.  But you've said it. And said it. And said it.  And with an increasing antagonistic "I told you so" tone that is unnecessary.  That is what I am reacting to most of all.

And again, so I am clear: I don't care that you don't like Fun Home.  I care that you are commenting on something you haven't even seen.  See it, and then hate it or love it, tell us why, and then let it go. Or stick to your guns and don't see it, and stop going on about it.  You've made your grand statement by not contributing to the box office take.  Good for you.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:33pm

""OUCH Living On Love..."
If it doesn't get any Tony nominations, it's dead.  Dismal box office, rotten reviews - that just might be Tony's first casualty.
What else do you think will post notices after the nominations?  I think DOCTOR ZHIVAGO.  And look out for these in the nominations:
ON THE TOWN
THE VISIT
AIRLINE HIGHWAY
GIGI
HAND TO GOD
IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
If those titles don't get Tony traction, they'll drop. 

Since MAMMA MIA announced its closing notice, do you think JERSEY BOYS and/or CHICAGO will announce soon?"   This is my response to your comment about Chicago.  Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:35pm

@AnarchyinthePreK

HTG has a positive cash flow at its current gross so it is sustainable at least until sometime mid-fall if it stays at the current level. If it or boyer win a Tony, it may be able to increase enough to actually run through the holidays. (And I can't imagine a better Christmas show!)

MegInManhattan
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:36pm

Re Fun Home: their number are steady right now but not great. Could their likely Tony win for Best Musical push them into near-selling out the way it did for Gentlemen's Guide last year which was also struggling somewhat with money and under the radar with tourists until the win?

Videos