pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15

woeisme3
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:12pm

Jeez, even in a holiday week, the shows that are doing bad continue to go down. DAMES is a lost cause at this point, I feel bad for the talented company because no one is coming! I thought Ashford and Broderick would be bigger draws, because no one's going to SYLVIA either, seemingly. SPRING AWAKENING wanted to be the snob hit of the season ala Once or Next to Normal, but no one wants to see IT either. I think THERESE RAQUIN would do better if they would advertise Knightley and if people could say the play's name.

On a happy note, good for LES MIS and MATILDA for really pulling them in this week! I was a bit scared for both of them, but I guess it was just a short slump. Even though no one's pulling in as much as the big five (Lion King/Hamilton/Wicked/Book of Mormon/Aladdin), it's nice to see that this season is producing hits in SCHOOL OF ROCK, ON YOUR FEET!, and FIDDLER, along with AMERICAN IN PARIS from last season. FUN HOME may have not grossed as much as some of the other shows, but it's getting 91.1 of it's gross potential which is MUCH more than most of the shows running. I'm happy that a small, intimate musical with dark subject matter could be a hit!

I'm shocked by NEVERLAND still being successful with a lack of Tony nominations, a cast with some theatre stars but no real big name ones, and universal pans! 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:18pm

"a cast with some theatre stars but no real big name ones"

No offense, but do you know about a little TV show called Glee? Also, I'm not sure how you can say that about Neverland right after saying how surprised you are that Annaleigh Ashford isn't drawing people to Sylvia. 

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 11:18 PM

woeisme3
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:21pm

I still wouldn't call Morrison a big-name star but hey...maybe he really isa  draw if it's grossing over a million still!

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:32pm

Every time you see Matilda go up you know the kids are in town. Numbers will dip the next two weeks and rally again the last two weeks of December. School of Rock joins the kids club, I'm hearing its packed with them and aimed at them. All the family shows got bumps. ALW finally gave into family programming to bump up his pension plan.

Up In One

AEA AGMA SM
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:37pm

I would say he gave in to "family programming" a very long time ago (i.e. ?Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Cats). This is more like a "return."

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:46pm

"I still wouldn't call Morrison a big-name star but hey...maybe he really isa  draw if it's grossing over a million still!"

I hate to contradict you so bluntly (I honestly don't mean to be rude), but Matthew Morrison simply IS a big-name draw. Maybe not as big as Al Pacino or someone, but Morrison still has quite a few fans from Glee - after all it was an enormously successful TV show and he was one of the main stars. His fans are definitely helping to keep the show afloat (though I admit the whole "Peter Pan" name recognition is doing a lot as well). 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:48am

JBroadway, I hate to contradict you so bluntly but Glee was not an "enormously successful TV show." It never broke into the top quartile and its last few seasons had abysmal ratings. Morrison has the highest Q score of the Glee cast but it is middling. Does he sell some tickets? Yes of course. Does he sell enough to significantlyaccount for the show's box office? No way. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 1:08am

Hogan took the words right out of my mouth. He definitely sells a small percentage of tickets, sure, but I'd hardly say his "fans are helping to keep the show afloat." He is easily replaceable in the role.  

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 2:40am

Looking through all shows listed, and of course there are SOME exceptions[plays] but it is the SHOW that is selling and not the people that are in them. The big 5, nobody of note in them-it's 'let's go see Wicked' or whatever-the show is the Star, doesn't matter who is in it.

Forgot what the point of all this is-maybe the Morrison thing got me thinking cause personally-he's just a song and dance man,interchangable with dozens of others out there and if he sells a few tickets, that's good but won't affect much when he leaves---and I know EVERYTHING-perhaps a little,not a lot.

SL...x

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 3:01am

Hass Morrison been on vacation since the show started? Easy way to tell if he has a big impact - look at the sales when he was out. If it follows the model of true box office draws (e.g., Zeta-Jones; Menzel), the sales would tank.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 5:25am

I'm a bit surprised that Dames at Sea did not get a bump this week but there are just so many shows that would bring in a family audience.  Slyvia's poor marketing strategy did nothing to help their cause since it almost seemed like you wouldn't like the show unless you were dog crazy, which isn't the case.  Both shows deserved to be seen but I think there are just too many name shows for them to compete. 

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

bfreak
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 7:18am

Speaking of Morrison, it appears on ticketmaster that January 24th will be his final performances. So I guess they decided to bring back Kelsey Grammer one week before Morrison left so they could have one really good business week where they could advertise "One week only to see the original leads" before Morrison's replacement came in. I know Chris Pine was rumored to replace him, but I think that was just riff-raff. Anyone have any scoop as to who's coming in? And I wonder if after Grammer's limited return, if they will hire another theatre actor ala Warlow and Mann, or if they'll stunt cast for those roles.

A1st
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 7:41am

qolbinau said: "Hass Morrison been on vacation since the show started? Easy way to tell if he has a big impact - look at the sales when he was out. If it follows the model of true box office draws (e.g., Zeta-Jones; Menzel), the sales would tank."

He was away on vacation October 5th-11th

Sunny11
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 7:44am

The cast vacations from finding neverland haven't been well advertised. Apart from Kelseys hiatus any per warning has only really come from the actors themselves on their social media so it's hard to collate that with the box office since the average ticket buyer likely had no idea who was scheduled to perform on the date that they booked.  

That said I haven't noticed a fluctuation, I think that the Peter Pan brand is the biggest selling point and well known actors in the key roles  is a plus point but not essential like Hugh Jackman was to Boy from oz. 

Updated On: 12/1/15 at 07:44 AM

Pootie2
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 9:51am

skies said: "Allegiance is going on fumes now, unfortunately. "

That's sad. I was waiting to see what the holiday weekend numbers looked like, and that's barely an uptick. Opening week was modestly okay, then Salonga was out for nearly the whole week after, so last week should've looked significantly better if she was a marketable reason to see the show. I hope the producers don't try to keep it open hoping for a AGGLM turnaround at the Tonys or something, though, because that won't happen (Gentleman's Guide being critically praised). If there was any significant tourist advance, hopefully the last holiday uptick will be healthier.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:05am

Do we think some people might have stayed away from the city do to recent terrorist activities?  I am visiting NYC right now and there are anti terrorist squad officials everywhere.  As well as the dogs.  It actually makes me feel safer. 

neonlightsxo
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:26am

"Jeez, even in a holiday week, the shows that are doing bad continue to go down"

Yes, that's the way it works. You must be new.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:32am

SmokeyLady said: "Do we think some people might have stayed away from the city do to recent terrorist activities?"

That is one way to read attendance going up significantly for a lot of shows, I suppose...

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:46am

It usually goes up a lot more according to the chatty ushers at Fool For Love.

neonlightsxo
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:56am

SmokeyLady, maybe you should get your info elsewhere.

Broadway Attendance Breaks Records During Holiday Week

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/broadway-attendance-breaks-records-during-holiday-week/?ref=theater&_r=0

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 11:10am

They're in a theater that has a different show every year, though. And usually plays. Hardly a good baseline for year over year patterns.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 11:45am

walking around in midtown gives lie to the notion anyone is staying away. The correlation to people staying away from FFL is nil. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:03pm

Up In One said: "Every time you see Matilda go up you know the kids are in town. Numbers will dip the next two weeks and rally again the last two weeks of December. School of Rock joins the kids club, I'm hearing its packed with them and aimed at them. All the family shows got bumps. ALW finally gave into family programming to bump up his pension plan."

Yeah, the marketing might not indicate it yet, but School of Rock is WAY more of a children's show than Matilda for me. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:38pm

Hogan said, "walking around in midtown gives lie to the notion anyone is staying away."

I'd add that walking around midtown gives lie to the notion that the tourists are all coming here to see theatre; the sidewalks are still packed full from Fifth to Eighth Avenue all through show hours, matinee and evening. Tiffany's is more crowded than the Friedman or the Helen Hayes.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/29/15
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:45pm

newintown said: "Hogan said, "walking around in midtown gives lie to the notion anyone is staying away."

I'd add that walking around midtown gives lie to the notion that the tourists are all coming here to see theatre; the sidewalks are still packed full from Fifth to Eighth Avenue all through show hours, matinee and evening. Tiffany's is more crowded than the Friedman or the Helen Hayes."

oh absolutely. 

Videos