pixeltracker

The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement - Page 2

The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#25The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 1/23/16 at 3:05pm

That show has the 10pm time slot, though. They can get away with more than something at the 8 or 9pm slots. 

Dave19
#26The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/2/16 at 6:49am

I don't understand why they give the role of Frank to a female.

Is she going to dress up like a man in a suit and hat to make the lyric "transvestite" plausible?

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#27The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/2/16 at 8:26am

After casting Laverne Cox as Frank, there was no redeeming this for me. I'll pass.

mattyp4
#28The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:55am

CindersGolightly said: "Interesting new rehearsal photos. I wonder if they've even found their Columbia and Magenta yet. Seems weird to rehearse without them, given that most scenes that include Frank include them as well."

What's interesting about these photos?  They're just a handful of selfies with Laverne Cox & another cast member.

nasty_khakis
#29The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/2/16 at 12:12pm

Does anyone know who's doing the casting? I assume it's Telsey since they did Grease Live and they cast Annaleigh in/as everything.

jimmycurry01
#30The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/2/16 at 12:28pm

It is the sanitizing that I am most concerned about. I have reservations about Cox as Frank, but will hold off judgement until I see or hear something substantial from her performance. 

I kinda wish they would skip this and release the live version that aired on BBC America to DVD instead.

ChiTheaterFan
#31The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:44pm

I hope the arrangements are more similar to the stage version (or what I know of the stage version) than the movie version.  I first became introduced to this show by the original Roxy cast recording when I was really too young to watch the movie because my dad saw it 7 times at the Roxy with Tim Curry and the original cast.  (Well, probably too young to listen to the recording too, but DEFINITELY too young to see the movie.)  I remember dancing around in my living room and singing the "I feel so dreamy, oh fantasy free me...." and "with a bit of a mind lift..." verses  I don't like that those lines were mostly spoken in the movie, and Riff Raff says "with a bit of a mind flip" and "And nothing can ever be the same."  I greatly preferred the version in the Roxy cast recording.  And I also loved the Roxy cast recording version of "toucha toucha touch me..." I feel like that was one of the first songs I started singing along with where I felt like I was able to express adult urges.  (Not publicly... I sang it by myself... but it sure was a heck of a different feeling than singing along to Phantom.)  Abigale Haness sounds like she really IS starting to be dirty in that recording.  Susan Sarandon does not, and I think it's largely the rearrangement of the melody for  the line "I wanna be dirty" that really bugs me.

Anyway, I digress, but in any event.... I don't have high hopes, but I'd be thrilled if this were closer to what I hear in the Roxy cast recording than the movie soundtrack.  I can barely watch the movie just because the Roxy cast recording is so ingrained in my brain and I love it so much.

Dave19
#32The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 7:30am

If the prude word "lingerie" is replaced with "bridal bou-bouquet" in Grease for TV, they sure as hell are going to have problems with this.

"Toucha toucha toucha touch me, I wanna be dirty, will probably become "Lova,lova,lova, love me, I like to be happy".

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#33The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 8:03am

Let's face it, even if the production values are great (ala Grease), this is going to be a "Glee"-type version of Rocky Horror.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

TrChSpHa
Jordan Catalano
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#36The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 3:46pm

I'm slow on the take, but I just realized that this isn't going to be a live event. It's a two-hour special this fall on Fox.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#37The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 3:48pm

TrChSpHa said: "We now have our Magenta -- Christina Milian.

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/christina-milian-rocky-horror-picture-show-magenta-cast-fox-1201696042/"

UGH. Not pleased with this. Could they really not find anybody better? Magenta is one of my favorite characters. The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement

Jordan Catalano
#38The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 4:00pm

LOL. This is the least of the things wrong with this production even existing.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#39The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 4:05pm

Well. It could be worse. I guess.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Ranger Tom
#40The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 4:23pm

They make a brilliant move with Annaleigh and then flub it on Magenta.  Blah.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#41The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 4:34pm

Ranger Tom said: "They make a brilliant move with Annaleigh and then flub it on Magenta.  Blah.

"

Exactly!

What a mess.

....but the world goes 'round

Jordan Catalano
#42The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 4:58pm

Is it a brilliant move, though? It's like putting a beautiful rose in a pile of dog shlt. It might be beautiful, but it's still a rose in a pile of shlt.

CindersGolightly
#43The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 5:10pm

It could have been a brilliant move. The real stars of the show are Frank, Riff, Magenta, and Columbia. The ****ed up with Frank, made good on Riff and Columbia, and ended with a bad move on Magenta. They could have casted someone worse but it's clear to me that Annaleigh Ashford is going to walk away with this show. There was a line on SMASH once - "I was a bright light in a bad show." - we have found our bright light. Hopefully some of these portrayals will surprise us. But as said before, the casting is the least of the issue here.

Via Wikipedia: The creative team is planning "to stick faithfully to the text and the score of the original but greatly reimagine the story visually".

Ranger Tom
#44The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 5:45pm

Word, Cinders.  I'm just looking for some surprises now that would rival what Elle McLemore did for me in Grease.  

broadwayboy223
#45The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 5:49pm

I thought Elle was horrible in Grease. I got so annoyed at seeing Patty Simcox so much 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#46The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 8:20pm

Ugh this is just so wrong headed...why didn't FOX just do it for one of their cable outlet where they could do the material uncensored. 

This Rocky Horror is going to be so neutered that it's going to easily be able to play on a double bill with Mary Fucking Poppins.

ChiTheaterFan
#47The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 11:13pm

On FX this could've been killer. 

CindersGolightly
#48The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 11:21pm

Speaking of FX, Elizabeth Gillies would have been such a better casting choice for Magenta. A tad young, but boy, she'd murder it.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#49The Rocky Horror Show Casting Announcement
Posted: 2/3/16 at 11:26pm

CindersGolightly said: "The real stars of the show are Frank, Riff, Magenta, and Columbia. The ****ed up with Frank, made good on Riff and Columbia, and ended with a bad move on Magenta. They could have casted someone worse but it's clear to me that Annaleigh Ashford is going to walk away with this show."

I didn't know they'd announce Riff, who's playing him? Can someone post the entire cast that's been announced?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Videos