DISASTER Previews

ebontoyan
#25DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 10:56pm

Don't care much for some people's reviews on this board (lol), I will be watching this show in my next NYC visit (May)

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#27DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:35pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "I hope you have a good 100 yard dash in you because even strictly limited run like this has been known to retract...

"

I'm there Thursday and my flop collector heart is fluttering already. 

After Eight
#28DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:35pm

I'm afraid this one is all too aptly named; it calls to mind the kind of disasters that used to pop up in decades past. The show can't decide if it's parodying disaster movies or itself, but the fact is, the movies themselves were funnier than anything in this attempted spoof, which lurches clumsily along in fits and non-starts. So many talented performers are wasted here, most of all Faith Prince. Given the most embarrassing material to work with, she flings herself wholeheartedly into it like the trouper she is. She deserves everyone's admiration.

Making matters worse still was having to listen to all those awful schlocky pop songs from the 70's that I had mercifully forgotten.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:39pm

"...all those awful schlocky pop songs from the 70's that I had mercifully forgotten."

1870's or 1970's?

Scarywarhol
#30DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:41pm

Jordan! <3

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#31DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:42pm

I saw the show tonight as well, and agree with Whizzer. The only part of the show I thought worked or was remotely funny was Jen Simard as the Nun. Other than that, I really wouldn't run to this one. 

hamiltonboys
#32DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:44pm

I searched "Disaster musical" on Twitter and saw nothing but positive reviews.

The show is obviously supposed to be campy. Maybe those who say they were laughing at the show were actually laughing with the show? If it's a parody of disaster movies, then the dialogue is probably meant to be as bad as the dialogue was in those movies.

Or maybe the show really is terrible. Who knows.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:44pm

Sounds like a worthy successor to Via Galactica in terms of sheer badness.

Poster Emeritus

broadwayboy223
#34DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:48pm

I'd much rather see The First Wives Club come in with Faith then this... 

Scarywarhol
#35DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:54pm

If first preview twitter accolades were a reliable indicator, then every show of the past decade would still be running. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:59pm

I see this as the only possible show to upset "The Hamilton" @ Tony time.

Poster Emeritus

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#37DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:08am

Mr Roxy said: "I see this as the only possible show to upset "The Hamilton" @ Tony time."

How many times do you need to say the exact same thing and bring Hamilton into every single thread?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#38DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:14am

How was Manoel Felciano? How big is his role? I've loved him since the Doyle Sweeney Todd and he hasn't been on Broadway since then so I would quite like to see him even if this is an actual disaster.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#39DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:24am

Mr Roxy said: "I see this as the only possible show to upset "The Hamilton" @ Tony time.

"

You literally said this already in THIS SAME THREAD. Move on. This joke is old. 

After Eight
#40DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:27am

^

His part is small, though he does well enough by it. His talents deserve so much better, as was shown by his impressive performance in the recent off-Broadway production of The Changeling.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#41DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:40am

Mr Roxy said: "I see this as the only possible show to upset "The Hamilton" @ Tony time.

"

Give it a rest, you complete lunatic.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#42DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:44am

hamiltonboys said: "I searched "Disaster musical" on Twitter and saw nothing but positive reviews."

Because for the most part, they're tagging the show's handle. It's much riskier to tweet a pan and tag the show. Go look for the subtweets.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

LightsOut90
#43DISASTER Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:59am

and my fears are confirmed, off broadway this made a fun campy little distraction of an evening, on broadway its going to be a uh.... disaster.

TerrenceIsTheMann
#44DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:13am

Ironic that this thread's title has two meanings.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#45DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 7:02am

Mr. Roxy, are you, per chance, Marc Rubio?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#46DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 7:36am

This may be my favorite Whizzer review ever. I confess, I've been thinking, from bits and pieces seen and heard, that this sounds like an all-"star" cabaret act straight from Don't Tell Mama to Broadway. Perhaps it was the inexpensive nature of the endeavor that convinced a few somewhat-experiened producers to take it on. I do wonder what the salaries are.

I've been fascinated by Rudetsky for quite some time - like a certain breed of celebrity from the mid-twentieth century, he has no exceptional talent for acting, singing, dancing, music - but he does have a "colorful" fast-talking persona, one that is manically devoted to musical theatre. And that alone seems to have turned him into a touchstone of sorts for a few thousand other maniacal musical theatre fans across the country. But I wouldn't have guessed that it would have led him to a semi-full Broadway production.

Updated On: 2/10/16 at 07:36 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#48DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 8:32am

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat_new/d.php?id=2321851

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jose Profile Photo
Jose
#49DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 9:09am

I venture that the reason all of the songs are snippets is because to sing  any longer means to pay royalties.  

The ultimate goal here has been and is to log the required number of Broadway performances and get the reviews. Then to build a marketing foundation to license the show. No matter how awful the reviews there will be isolated words that make for positive pull quotes.  The reviews could even turn out to be good (there's no accounting for taste) in which case their marketing is strengthened. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#50DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 9:13am

"I venture that the reason all of the songs are snippets is because to sing  any longer means to pay royalties."

I recall once hearing that royalties must be paid if you sing or play more than 5 notes. So I'm sure they're paying royalties on all the songs credited in this show.

But yes, clearly the dream is to license this skit and try to milk some income out of it.

Liza's Headband
#51DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 9:20am

I venture that the reason all of the songs are snippets is because to sing  any longer means to pay royalties. 

That's simply not true. Any public performance of a copyright-protected song that generates a 'commercial benefit' must be licensed (royalties paid). You're confusing this with a couple of other intellectual property issues; specifically the unauthorized broadcasting of a recording created by someone else + the overwrought "fair use" clause/statute.

Videos