Broadway.com awards

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#25Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 2:18pm

Well for my part I'm happy about the well-deserved love the deaf stars of Spring Awakening (along with the other main SA actors) are getting here from fans, especially since the Big Award Shows are not showing the love with all of the fierce competition (and of course shows that are ALL still open)..

Favorite Onstage Pair - Daniel Durant & Alex Boniello (the 'Moritz' pair)

Favorite Breakthrough Performance (Female) - Sandra Mae Frank (Wendla)

Favorite Breakthrough Performance (Male) - Austin McKenzie (Melchior)

Favorite Feature Actor in a Musical - Andy Mientus (Hanschen)

Favorite Featured Actress in a Musical - Krysta Rodriguez (Ilse)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 2:39pm

These awards are more cutesie than anything else. The fact that Taye Diggs got a Best Replacement nomination for Hedwig speaks rather clearly to how critically and artistically meaningless these are.

Sunny11
#27Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 2:47pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "These awards are more cutesie than anything else. The fact that Taye Diggs got a Best Replacement nomination for Hedwig speaks rather clearly to how critically and artistically meaningless these are.

Just because you disagree with their opinions doesn't  been that theirs is critically and artistically meaningless. 

ebontoyan
#28Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 2:59pm

There is no critical or artistic about this. They are all fan love!!! So maybe you should have filled out a nom survey instead of mocking who's been nominated.  This is all a fun way to get the fans involved!  Nothing serious so don't take too seriously!

I knew Hamilton will be nominated in almost all (and I love Hamilton, I will see it 3x by June) so I filled out a form to also nominate Allegiance and Lea Salonga (which I also loved I cried from start to end not even Hamilton could do!).  I didn't expect them to be included but I suppose there were other like minded fans too!

Updated On: 4/30/16 at 02:59 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#29Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:04pm

Dudes. Diggs literally didn't know his lines. I understand that it's all fan love, but at what cost...

Sunny11
#30Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:05pm

But why do fans  get invested in certain shows/performers? Broadway wouldn't exist without a  paying audience so should their opinions be valued?

ebontoyan
#31Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:16pm

There are enough Taye Diggs fans out there that disagree with you to get him nominated, what can you do??! lol I am not a huge fan of Hedwig the show but I don't begrudge anyone to show their fan love. And they too are keeping Broadway alive

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#32Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:32pm

I'm majorly surprised that not even a single New Song nomination went to Waitress - especially She Used To Be Mine. I love Hamilton, don't get wrong, but I just do not understand how there was 11 new musicals and it's a Hamilton open and shut case. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ebontoyan
#33Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:57pm

The Hamilton fans were out in force filling the nominee lists!  Where were the Waitress fans is the question?! Even some of Allegiance and Spring Awakening fans showed up to nominate their faves

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#34Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 4:01pm

These awards have no artistic merit.

Why no noms for other music?  Waitress isn't recorded yet.  My guess is most of the voters have seen only one or two (at best) of the new shows...with some not having seen any and voting on word of mouth and recordings.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#35Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 4:13pm

dramamama611 said: "These awards have no artistic merit. Why no noms for other music?  Waitress isn't recorded yet.  My guess is most of the voters have seen only one or two (at best) of the new shows...with some not having seen any and voting on word of mouth and recordings."

Definitely not an award that has the esteem of artistic merit, but it's still ridiculous that 11 musicals open with wonderful scores (Personally I adore Waitress and Bright Star) and Hamilton gets every single slot. While Waitress hasn't released their cast album yet, Sara Bareilles did release her concept album of songs from it. Plus, She Used To Be Mine has been in her docket since her summer tour last year. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/30/16 at 04:13 PM

dramamama611
#36Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 4:32pm

Of course its ridiculous!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#37Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 5:29pm

People like Taye because he is Idina's Baby Daddy.

dramamama611
#38Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 5:39pm

That and he's beyond hot.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#39Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:20pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Dudes. Diggs literally didn't know his lines. I understand that it's all fan love, but at what cost..."

Agreed... Watching Taye Diggs play Hedwig was one of the most painful experiences I have ever had in a theatre.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:27pm

Sunny11 said: "But why do fans  get invested in certain shows/performers? Broadway wouldn't exist without a  paying audience so should their opinions be valued?

"

I think so, but I'd be more interested if the awards were representative of theatre goers. I think these awards are probably more representative of younger, internet-savvy types - but Broadway has quite an aged audience. This is same effect how if you only looked on the internet, you would expect Bernie Sanders to be defeating Hillary Clinton by a landslide (but he's not because it's just not representative). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Randomlink1
#41Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:35pm

I mean, I think the problem with these awards is that people haven't seen the shows, since they don't have access to them. Also, a lot of them are more of people who are obsessed with shows, so it doesn't really mean a lot of artistic merit, since people can vote as many times as they want and a lot of them probably haven't seen the shows (I mean, I only get to see 2 shows a year max, but I want to get out more and see shows). It's more of what the fans like.

Randomlink1
#42Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:36pm

bwayphreak234 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Dudes. Diggs literally didn't know his lines. I understand that it's all fan love, but at what cost..."

Agreed... Watching Taye Diggs play Hedwig was one of the most painful experiences I have ever had in a theatre.

"

I didn't get to see it, but it made a respected theatre critic take the show down from the best show of 2014 to the 10th worst show of 2015, just because Taye Diggs played the role. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#43Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:02pm

The single fact that Andy Mientus was nominated at all shows how meaningless these awards are. Especially over Daniel N. Durant.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#44Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:04pm

I pretty much try not to give clicks to Broadway.com  because it is such a scam site with its ticket sales and gift certificates. I hate that unsuspecting people get duped into paying their unbelievably high ticket fees.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Randomlink1
#45Broadway.com awards
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:34pm

Also, they voted Young Frankenstein, Sister Act, and If/Then as the best musicals of their respective years, while much better shows also played. So, just keep that in mind.

Videos