Is JLP transferring?

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#25Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 7/19/18 at 7:25pm

I didn't see the show at ART, but I've been a fan of Stanley for a few years and was hoping this might be her "big break" to finally get some semblance of mainstream recognition, at least in the theater world. I honestly think this would do fine without a star. The ART run sold extremely well, plus the number of Alanis fans is kinda endless. I really hope Elizabeth gets the chance to shine in a lead role on Broadway after being a solid supporting actress for many years.

mailhandler777
#26Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:36am

Kitsune said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I will say that I’m probably the biggest Alanis Morissette fan on this forum. I just know I am. Is JLP transferring?

That said, yes. The book needs a major overhaul. I’d even suggest replacing half the songs in the show with other songs from Alanis’ catalog that would be better suited for these characters. Choosing to write the show with only this one album represented (well, besides the 4 other songs) is a poor choice. She has such an incredible selection of songs to choose from and for a show like this, not doing that just really hurts it.
"

I thought only 12 or so were from the Jagged Little Pill album itself?

I also echo that the book needs to be cleaned up. That being said, I was invested in the characters and the story. Right now JLP is like a bunch of excellent ingredients, and I want the creatives to figure out how to make the best meal with it.
"

JLP only has 13 songs on the album so yeah. The show had 22 songs in it. So Unsexy, Hands Clean, Unprodigal Daughter, Uninvited, Thank U and That I Would Be Good were on different albums. Smiling, Predator and No were written for the show. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:44am

“No” was a bonus track on her 2012 album. I believe that was only available on the Japanese import, though. And it’s one of the rare songs of hers I actually can’t stand.

mailhandler777
#28Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:51am

Jordan Catalano said: "“No” was a bonus track on her 2012 album. I believe that was only available on the Japanese import, though. And it’s one of the rare songs of hers I actually can’t stand. "

Ahhh. My bad. In the show it's one of my favorite scenes after You Oughta Know and Uninvited. 

Jordan Catalano
#29Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 7/20/18 at 1:05am

It’s just so “on the nose” that to me, it just made me roll my eyes.

mailhandler777
#31Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 1:26pm

Was chatting with someone that knows Diane Paulus and apparently she is going to keep most of the cast intact for the Broadway transfer and that includes Elizabeth Stanley.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#32Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 6:19am

So, does that mean it's definitely transferring?  ^

mailhandler777
#33Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 9:45pm

EllieRose2 said: "So, does that mean it's definitely transferring? ^"

From what I got out of my conversation...yes. 

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#34Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 10:30pm

Great, thank you.  

Jordan Catalano
#36Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 11:04pm

By “clean up”, I hope you mean “rewrite”

dscalera
#37Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 10:10pm

To those that think JLP is “too woke” or over the top, remember there was another similar musical that the same thing was said about - a story about an anxious boy with a cast surrounded my social media.

Sure, the book needs a little bit of work, but absolutely not a complete overhaul. This show has a cult following from its relatively short Boston run and it is exactly the kind of show that “new” Broadway wants. For example, it’s the “best show” my 14yo daughter has ever seen.

I’m putting it out there that it will be a strong contender for the Tony! Hate away if you must.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#38Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 10:12pm

I foresee annoying, obnoxious Twitter/Instagram/Tumblr stans.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 10:21pm

It's too "woke" because in trying to include EVERY social issue, it covers few of them to completion.  It doesn't know what story it's trying to tell.  There IS a show there, and, I think, a very good one -- but not the way it is.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#40Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 10:36pm

dscalera said: "To those that think JLP is “too woke” or over the top, remember there was another similar musical that the same thing was said about - a story about an anxious boy with a cast surrounded my social media."

I have to say that Jagged Little Pill really made me appreciate Dear Evan Hansen (a show I historically dislike). I still think DEH is super contrived with a mediocre score... BUT, at least they picked a theme, decided on a storyline, and ran with it. JLP suffers from thinking that it needs to tackle 400 themes through six characters, and the end product isn't "too woke," it's just bland and heavy-handed (while somehow never actually taking the time to dive into anything it addresses).

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 3:18pm

emaxman said: "My friend met one of the producers who said it definitely is! My guess is they want to clean up the book first."

My agent friend (with a client in the show) said a move to Broadway has not been discussed for this season...yet!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

sdrick
#42Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 3:41pm

hamiltonstradition said: "bwayboy22 said: "I know Idina was attached in either a workshop or a reading of this, do people think she would take over for Elizabeth Stanley were this to come in?"

I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Stanley, so I hope not!
"

Never been a Menzel fan.  Always want to like her, but find her range as an actor limited. 

ren598
#43Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/10/18 at 10:07am

mailhandler777 said: "Was chatting with someone that knows Diane Paulus and apparently she is going to keep most of the cast intact for the Broadway transfer and that includes Elizabeth Stanley."

Elizabeth Stanley was amazing in the show.  I really want her to transfer with the show.  I'm just hoping Diane Paulus doesn't repeat the Finding Neverland fiasco in which she replaced Jeremy Jordan with the bigger name Matthew Morrison for the Broadway run.  If Twitter and Instagram are any indication, this cast at Cambridge A.R.T. was a tight knit group.  Bringing in a bigger name like Idina Menzel would just disrupt that group chemistry.  Don't fix what isn't broken.

CaseyBrent41
#44Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/10/18 at 10:12am

Thinking is it will be the Sondheim or The Belasco.

And whoever said my friend who is an agent hasn't heard anything yada yada yada...That doesn't mean its not coming in....the actors and creative teams are last to know. 

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#45Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/15/18 at 3:14pm

Someone went to pronoun showdown the other day and Derek Klena mentioned to a fan afterwards that there could be an announcement about a transfer in September. Take that with a grain of salt but thought I’d share 

Updated On: 8/15/18 at 03:14 PM

ren598
#46Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/15/18 at 3:34pm

Maybe they'll mention something about the transfer at Elizabeth Stanley's Broadway Unplugged show at ACT of Connecticut on August 24 with JLP's Music Director Bryan Perri.  I have to believe something is imminent if they are still working together.  Anyone going?  I would if I lived closer to CT and NY.

https://www.actofct.org/upcoming-shows

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#47Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/15/18 at 5:27pm

When was the last time the Walter Kerr housed a musical? Otherwise I'd lean towards the Belasco or Brooks Atkinson if Waitress closes in January.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

zainmax
#48Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/15/18 at 5:34pm

Falsettos.

CaseyBrent41
#49Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/15/18 at 5:44pm

emaxman said: "My friend met one of the producers who said it definitely is! My guess is they want to clean up the book first."

Obviously a dig at what I said earlier.....But that's fine. Its looking like the Sondheim or the Belasco. This season. 

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#50Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/15/18 at 5:53pm

zainmax said: "Falsettos."

Incorrect. Amelie was there, for a hot second, before Springsteen.

zainmax
#51Is JLP transferring?
Posted: 8/15/18 at 7:39pm

thealtoslament said: "zainmax said: "Falsettos."

Incorrect. Amelie was there, for a hot second, before Springsteen.
"

You're absolutely right. But, from what I heard from people who saw it, Amelie was not a show to remember!

Videos