pixeltracker

Camila Cabello to play Maria in Spielberg's WSS?- Page 2

Camila Cabello to play Maria in Spielberg's WSS?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#25Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 6:10pm

Compared to lots of other girls in the pop field, she's a very strong singer and dancer with charisma in spades. Not sure of her acting skills, but she'd be a smart choice for Anita.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#26Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 7:08pm

People have like no imagination. If she auditioned for Anita and got Maria, maybe they saw something in her audition that screamed Maria to them. Just because we only normally see Cabello wearing late 2010s clothing and style with her stage demeanor doesn't mean she's not capable of toning those things down and showcasing Maria's qualities. I bet with different make-up and hair styling, she'll look a lot different from those pics. I do think she probably won't sing the score as written but maybe they're going for. Maybe they want a sound that resonates a bit more with what people are listening to now so long as Cabello is a soprano and doesn't belt the songs. I wonder if Cabello has a much better voice than the way she chooses to sing her pop songs but that remains to be seen. Also, this thread is bringing out the darkside of BWW again. Sierra can hit some high notes, but she is wrong for Maria in every other conceivable way. I still remember that horrific accent she did for a concert. She does not carry herself in anyway as Maria.

Updated On: 8/7/18 at 07:08 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#27Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 7:16pm

The role requires a classical soprano, which Cabello is not, therefore she is wrong for the part. Anita is much more suited to her skills. I was hoping they'd go for an unknown for both of the leads. There are some wonderful latin girls out there that could sing and act the part better. It's not that she doesn't look like a Maria because she does, but I think she could also look like Anita and that role would better suit her voice and dancing.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#28Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 7:19pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The role requires a classical soprano, which Cabello is not, therefore she is wrong for the part. Anita is much more suited to her skills. I was hoping they'd go for an unknown for both of the leads. There are some wonderful latin girls out there that could sing and act the part better. It's not that she doesn't look like a Maria because she does, but I think she could also look like Anita and that role would better suit her voice and dancing."

I do agree with you, but I bet they're "adapting" the score sort of like Sweeney Todd (ugh). Some people prefer that as they think stage singing is too much for a film these days. As much as we bitch about the Les Miz film, it was a huge hit and regular people who aren't Broadway purists like us loved the singing (except for Crowe). I think they're going to go for a more modern sound with the singing. I remember in 8th grade, we watched West Side Story and none of the kids in my class could stand Marni Nixon's singing. Even now, people my age aren't accustomed to hearing something clasically sung and they claim they can't understand the lyrics. 

Anyway, from the reports, Spielberg's vision is to have a more "realistic" look to WSS so that should give us a hint for what he's going for. I bet all the singing will be more grounded and less theatrical and maybe the dancing will be "adapted" too which is what some even here wanted.

Updated On: 8/7/18 at 07:19 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#29Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 7:24pm

Anyway, someone on Tumblr did a vocal profile on Cabello:

http://thevocalpoint.tumblr.com/post/165164184890/vocal-profile-camila-cabello

Do you guys agree?

Also, Rita Moreno's thoughts:

https://www.etonline.com/rita-moreno-very-curious-about-west-side-story-remake-says-cameo-moot-question-exclusive-95602

"If it's going to be a contemporary version, then I would imagine that (the music) has to be rap," Moreno, 86, tells ET. "And if there is that, what happens to the songs? What are the dances going to look like? Are we not going to have the (West Side Story choreographer) Jerome Robbins dances? I'm just guessing that it'll be really, completely different."

Another interesting quote:

"Moreno is hopeful that one character in particular, Anybodys, originally played by Susan Oakes, will finally be able to live her authentic life onscreen.

"Anybodys can be what she was always meant to be: a lesbian," Moreno says about the tomboy character. "That's really what she was and what she was meant to be, but at the time that was as far as they could go."

Updated On: 8/7/18 at 07:24 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#30Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 9:30pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: " Some people prefer that as they think stage singing is too much for a film these days. As much as we bitch about the Les Miz film, it was a huge hit and regular people who aren't Broadway purists like us loved the singing (except for Crowe). I think they're going to go for a more modern sound with the singing. I remember in 8th grade, we watched West Side Story and none of the kids in my class could stand Marni Nixon's singing. Even now, people my age aren't accustomed to hearing something clasically sung and they claim they can't understand the lyrics."

This is a big problem and misunderstanding in musical moviemaking nowadays.

The les Mis film created a disconnect between acting and singing, resulting in insincere singing and insincere acting. It was acting in spite of song instead of acting through song.

In interviews I hear Tom Hooper always saying, well, the original was more operatic but this is more raw and real. NO. It is not. It is less raw and real. All stage Valjeans I have seen gave a much more real and filmic performance by singing "now come on ladies, setlle down" or "there is something I must do" and kept the last word short. Jackman held the note operatically for 10 seconds. That is "fake soap-operatic".  It's this disconnect that is the problem. 

Speaking 4 words an use a long vibrato on the 5th is not the solution, toning down the singing to apologize for the artform is also not the solution. You can't apologize for singing in the first 4 words and then exaggerate the 5th and expect the audience to accept it as natural and you can't constantly switch between 2 artforms in one line and expect the audience to switch with you all the time. The singing and the acting will feel out of place.

The real solution is real truthful singing. The notes and written melodies are actors too. 

It is a real shame that we expose the new generation to this lame material and train them to not recognize quality, it is a downward spiral. Of course kids from today will only understand and recognize a hoarse, skimpy, moaning Maria, but isn't it nicer to show them how it also could be?

Anyway, here is a good clip of sincerity in acting through song and it shows exactly why the les Mis film is a failure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4NNlEPraKo

Updated On: 8/7/18 at 09:30 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 10:40pm

Not to be harsh, but I've never seen Camila be....genuine? She always seems put-on, and has this wide-eyed semi-stupid look to her, so I don't really see a sweet, girly Maria? She's kind of pushed this sultry look. And I don't think we need names to make a WSS film a hit. The same with Les Miz. We didn't need names. Or Mamma Mia. But whatever.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#32Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 11:25pm

I can see why producers want them though. They are the ones putting up the money for these projects and regular people who may potentially shell out the bucks to watch this movie don't seem to care about Cabello being the right voice type for the score as originally written have been pushing for her to be cast online for a while and it's been written in mainstream publications.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#33Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 12:20am

RippedMan said: "Not to be harsh, but I've never seen Camila be....genuine? She always seems put-on, and has this wide-eyed semi-stupid look to her, so I don't really see a sweet, girly Maria? She's kind of pushed this sultry look. And I don't think we need names to make a WSS film a hit. The same with Les Miz. We didn't need names. Or Mamma Mia. But whatever."

Mamma Mia didn't need stars???? that is preposterous. Les Miserables I also doubt would have been made without stars.

I also think it's hilarious Dave19 will apparently never get over Hugh Jackman's singing in Les Miz. It's been 6 years, Jesus Christ!!!!

I think Spielberg using a less operatic approach to the vocal performances just makes sense for today's audience. Modern mainstream audiences aren't really into classical music or operatic vocals, unfortunately.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#34Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 12:47am

EVERY critic ever has made fun of the vocal performances in Les Miz and Mamma MIa. So, no, I don't think these two titles needed stars. Did we need Pearce Bronson to sound horrible? Did we we need an awful Crowe in Les Miz? We did not.  Camila Cabello is a TERRIBLE actress. So they're wrong. 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#35Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 5:01am

gypsy101 said: "
I also think it's hilarious Dave19 will apparently never get over Hugh Jackman's singing in Les Miz. It's been 6 years, Jesus Christ!!!!

I think Spielberg using a less operatic approach to the vocal performances just makes sense for today's audience. Modern mainstream audiences aren't really into classical music or operatic vocals, unfortunately.
"

True. I have never been so belittled in my life. By that "performance".

Also true that modern kids are into hoarse, trashy moaning as it's all they know and recognize, but is that a reason to deliberately town down the quality of your movie? I don't think so.

The "name" issue is a also a grey area. People outside of the USA don't really know the name of this girl. New generations had no idea who Russel Crowe was. And most of all, hiring "names" doesn't have to mean "no talent" or "wrong for the part". Demi Lovato could be great as Elphaba, Angelica Hale could be great as Kim in a few years, etc. As long as they know how to not separate the singing from acting. And last but not least, we live in a day and age where stars are easily created and the world of fame is fleeting. 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#36Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 5:08am

RippedMan said: "EVERY critic ever has made fun of the vocal performances in Les Miz and Mamma MIa. So, no, I don't think these two titles needed stars. Did we need Pearce Bronson to sound horrible? Did we we need an awful Crowe in Les Miz? We did not. Camila Cabello is a TERRIBLE actress. So they're wrong."

Previous generations had stars like Julie Andrews in many movie musicals and we have Amanda Seyfried.

This generation might go down in history like a joke. These movies too.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#37Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 6:52am

RippedMan said: "EVERY critic ever has made fun of the vocal performances in Les Miz and Mamma MIa.

EVERY critic?! Can you site some examples? I don't think this is true.

So, no, I don't think these two titles needed stars.

You do realize that making motion pictures is a business? Musicals are a hard sell, so the producers need a box office name or in some cases box office names to sell the picture, get the picture made, and attract ticket buyers to make back their money and turn a profit.

Did we need Pearce Bronson to sound horrible?

Who is Pierce Bronson?

Did we we need an awful Crowe in Les Miz?

No we didn't. But it was done. Nothing we can do about it now.

Camila Cabello is a TERRIBLE actress. So they're wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am assuming that you are basing it on seeing her act in something. What was exactly that you saw her acting in?

Updated On: 8/8/18 at 06:52 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#38Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 7:48am

RippedMan said: "EVERY critic ever has made fun of the vocal performances in Les Miz and Mamma MIa. So, no, I don't think these two titles needed stars. Did we need Pearce Bronson to sound horrible? Did we we need an awful Crowe in Les Miz? We did not. Camila Cabello is a TERRIBLE actress. So they're wrong."

Has she acted before?

asoftplacetoland Profile Photo
asoftplacetoland
#39Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 8:00am

adamgreer said: "RippedMan said: "EVERY critic ever has made fun of the vocal performances in Les Miz and Mamma MIa. So, no, I don't think these two titles needed stars. Did we need Pearce Bronson to sound horrible? Did we we need an awful Crowe in Les Miz? We did not. Camila Cabello is a TERRIBLE actress. So they're wrong."

Has she acted before?
"

Nope. Not unless you count music videos or a voice over role on Barbie’s Dreamhouse.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#40Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 12:04pm

None of us have ANY idea about her acting or even her soprano abilities. Just because we've heard her sing one way (and maybe that way is the core of what she does) means nothing about what is within the realm of possibility for her voice. If no one has ever seen her act, can we really say she's a terrible actress?

That being said, I do agree that I would've wanted a newcomer for Maria, but I'm not going to trash Cabello for no reason. I'm always one to root for the newcomer from the open call...

Owen22
#41Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 8:53pm

We have to remember. There literally are children posting on these boards.

orlikethecolorpurple
#42Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 11:36pm

Dave28282 said: "This generation might go down in history like a joke."

Such an ignorant statement.

bk
#43Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:06am

You all understand that this woman has not been officially announced, right?  You all understand this, right?  Because it sure doesn't seem like you do.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:51am

My opinion is based on her live performances. There's a quality to a live performance, and she seems...distant. And not the quality I'd think you'd want for a Maria. I do not like WSS. I think it's boring. I think the characters are boring. So, I'm not the biggest fan of the project in general. Nor do I think it will be any kind of a success. 

Yes, I understand Hollywood is a business. But I think people are a little naive when they think about movie stars. Did anyone go to Les Miz because they are a so-and-so fan? I don't know. I don't think so. I love Streep, but have I seen all her movies: no! I guess I'm maybe different in that way. 

I'm just waiting for Efron to be Tony. Barf. 

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#45Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 9:12am

I’ll be honest...I had no idea who Cabello was until all this West Side Story hoopla. Day by day though, it’s looking more likely that her Maria is a go. I stumbled across some tweets online that her fans say are ‘proof’ that she’ll be taking on the role.

The WSS casting director, Cindy Tolan, recently followed some members of Camila’s team on Twitter, including her manager.

Then there’s an Instagram photo of her and Jason MacMaster, someone who worked with her on a Sketchers shoot a few weeks back who hashtagged the photo West Side Story.

Also, apparently she drops hints about upcoming projects by spelling it out with the first word of each sentence. Someone pointed out to me that a recent Twitter post with a photo of a text that was suspiciously spaced had the initials WSS.

You can find the Twitter thread with all the alleged ‘proof’ on @CCUpdater ‘s Twitter.
Even though it’s most likely a teenage fan sitting behind their computer on that account, I checked on this ‘proof’ and it’s all legit and makes sense.

Wonder how long it’ll be until an official announcement is made. Assume it must be soon due to production being moved up and the intended release date.

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 09:12 AM

natashalost
#46Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:30am

I highly doubt this is true. A friend of mine has been going through the callback process for the role of Maria. She has an upcoming callback that has yet to be canceled. Why would they be continuing to have her audition for a role that has already been cast?

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#47Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:03pm

Folks can make fun of Hugh Jackman in Les Mis all they want, but he still received critical acclaim, a Golden Globe, and even an Oscar nomination for his performance, so.

As far as Camila Cabello goes, if this is true, I see no reason why we can’t give her a chance before deciding she’s going to be terrible. If she went in for Anita and came out with the role of Maria, then there must have been something in the audition room that wowed the casting directors, possibly something that doesn’t come up in her regular onstage persona. We’ll just have to see.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 8/9/18 at 12:03 PM

here's rose
#48Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/24/18 at 12:21am

Dylan Sprouse as Tony????

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm1yP01HHuy/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=fzlmg1kart9t

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#49Camila Cabello to play Maria in Speilberg's WSS?
Posted: 8/24/18 at 12:24am

here's rose said: "Dylan Sprouse as Tony????

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm1yP01HHuy/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=fzlmg1kart9t
"

Actually not a horrible casting idea.

Videos