pixeltracker

Remembering Jerry Herman - Page 2

Remembering Jerry Herman

Dollypop
#25Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:18pm

CarlosAlberto said: "A truly, gifted musical genius. When I would feel "low" I would play a Jerry Herman tune. Never failed to lift my spirits and get me out of my funk. His music was life affirming. He will never be forgotten. RIP Jerry Herman."

I start every morning listening to all or part of any one of my DOLLY recordings. ( I call it my Daily Dose of DOLLY). It sets my day up on a positive note.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#26Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/27/19 at 2:26pm

I met Mr. Herman briefly and we shared a close friend in common. By all accounts and in my experience, he was as lovely a gentleman as he was talented!

The OBCR of MAME literally changed my life, engendering a love of musical theater I have never lost.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#27Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/27/19 at 3:00pm

I saw Pearl Bailey and Cab Calloway (saw Carol Channing do it years later) in HELLO, DOLLY! and to this day, "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" is, to me, the best and biggest mood-lifter ever written for Broadway.

Even the disappointing Midler cast album contains an absolutely infectious version of this song!

"Best of Times" is another one...oh, you can go down the Jerry Herman rabbit hole so quickly if you start to think of all he's done!

theatreguy12
#28Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/27/19 at 3:28pm

Such a huge talent who never failed to put a smile on your face or a tear in your eye through his music.

Now reunited with the consummate and only (in my book) Dolly, Carol Channing.

fitzdavid2
#29Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/27/19 at 9:51pm

YOU I LIKE (d)... a grand songwriter

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#30Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/28/19 at 3:58am

I hope the Encores! Mack & Mabel is a big fat hit.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/28/19 at 11:13am

Don't think he ever got over the quick demise of Mack and Mabel. Nominated as Best Musical but score was not.One of his best scores and it passed over. Shame he did not get to bring more shows to Broadway .This is the Broadway my wife and I loved . True theater giant. He will be sorely missed

Poster Emeritus

SisterGeorge
#32Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/28/19 at 11:51am

I have a friend who used to be a longtime critic for a major daily, who always said that he was grateful to Jerry Herman because he never thought he'd live to see two men sing a love song to each other on a Broadway stage.

Sister George

bradactor66
#33Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/28/19 at 12:45pm

He will definitely be missed but his shows live on as a positive voice in a sometimes negative voice world.

Thank you Jerry for all the love you gave to this world through your music and lyrics.

bear88
#34Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/28/19 at 5:25pm

I appreciate reading the tributes here from longtime fans of Jerry Herman's work.

My perspective is different. I grew up thinking of his musicals, and certainly Hello, Dolly!, as outdated shows that didn't really interest me. My wife happened to be a huge fan of Eydie Gorme's version of "If He Walked into My Life," which I liked too, but that's all I thought at the time.

We only saw productions of his shows in recent years. In 2017, I saw a fine local production of La Cage Aux Folles, which I enjoyed a lot more than I was expecting. Aside from its justified status in Broadway history, it was a well-crafted show that mixed comedy, pathos, determination and whole lot of fun.

In February, we saw the touring production of Hello, Dolly! on its first night in San Francisco. Many people have recently praised the Betty Buckley-led revival as one of the best touring shows they've ever seen, and I agree with that. I was struck in particular at how good the overall score is, not just the songs I knew beforehand. "Elegance" is such a charming song. "It Only Takes a Moment" is beautiful.  And the hits... well, the praise for "Put on Your Sunday Clothes Are" as a song that just makes you happy is thoroughly justified. And the title song feels like a celebration not just of the show but of the power of musical theater itself. I wasn't expecting to find it as thrilling. It's really a show you need to see in person to truly appreciate.

Herman was able to write joyous musicals that found a new audience late in his life. And it's no accident that the makers of Wall-E, the animated Pixar film, borrowed from the Hello, Dolly movie. They were no dummies.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#35Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/28/19 at 6:03pm

Holidaying in Key West one year I wandered into a gay??? bar--as if there is any other sort down there.

I was enjoying my solo drink and saying thanks but no thanks as I just wanted to absorb the talent visually.

There was a pianist in the far corner and being a young show queen, my ear took over from the visual.

Time for another drink and I said to the hunk[yes my visuals were still working] behind the bar, in my very broad Australian accent--'who's the beaut pianist?'

Jerry Herman

Jarethan
#36Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/29/19 at 3:14pm

To this day, Mame  is  my favorite musical...not the best I have seen, but my favorite. To me, the show ws the perfect musical comedy -- great score, very funny book, solid direction and choreography, great roles for three females.  I still remember that the first time I saw Mame was June 25,1966.  Probably don't know the exact date for any other shows but two: I saw Annie Get your Gun revival the week after Mame (so I guess June 2,1966), and Sweet Charity three weeks before Mame (so June 4). 

I was too young to fully enjoy Charity, but not Mame.  I dont think Mame gets enough credit for its great score.

I listened to the Hello Dolly score for almost a year before I saw Dolly.  Formany,many listenings, I got goose bumps when the vocals of Sunday Clothes and Hello Dolly reach their vocal crescendoes.  They were just so joyous.

Similarly, I love the score to The Grand Tour and still consider You, I Like and I'll be Here Tomorrow be among his best songs.  I listened to the score most recently about two weeks ago, and always wonder why it was such a flop...I assume that feel-good musicals were just out of style at the time.

While I love the score for Mack and Mabel, I believe there was nothing that Herman could have done to save the show.  The story itself was such a downer.  There is so much irony that the best thing about that mis-guided show was the score, which did not nominated for a Tony, when it received so many other nominations for less quality components.

Between Hello Dolly, Mame and La Cage, I wonder if there was any other Broadway composer, lyricist, librettist, director or choreographer who brought so much total joy into people's lives.  

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/29/19 at 4:06pm

By the time I saw it Janis Page was the lead. Still enjoyable a Great score

Poster Emeritus

Eddie3
#38Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/29/19 at 5:51pm

Jerry Herman's first full Broadway show -- Milk and Honey -- features one of his best scores.

"And even when you say goodbye,
If your voice has
'I don't want to go' in it,
Say goodbye with a little 'hello' in it,
And say goodbye with shalom."

persephone88
#39Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/29/19 at 5:53pm

We were at Mass this morning at St. Malachy's Church and during the Prayers of the Faithful, the priest remembered and asked everyone to pray for the soul of Mr. Herman, and he spoke very kindly and fondly not only of his beautiful work in the theatre, but for being a wonderful person as well.

persephone88
#40Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/29/19 at 5:53pm

Double post, sorry!

Updated On: 12/29/19 at 05:53 PM

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#41Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/29/19 at 8:31pm

Mr Roxy said: "By the time I saw it Janis Page was the lead. Still enjoyable a Great score "

I saw Celeste Holm in August 1967; when Angela had a 2 week leave.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#42Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/29/19 at 11:36pm

I found this 1993 Hollywood Bowl tribute to Jerry Herman.  It is marvelous!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLV2Y5ucGk&list=FL2OmgVuferBboa0oQpGTKLQ&index=2&t=0s

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Michael Garay Profile Photo
Michael Garay
#43Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 12/30/19 at 1:31am

does anyone know if the video of Pearl Bailey singing before the parade pass by goes from the Tony Telecast?

BwayLB
#44Remembering Jerry Herman
Posted: 1/10/20 at 3:16pm

I am going to a regional production of Mame in March presented by Musical Theatre West in Long Beach. Now I will have seen the Holy Trinity of Herman’s hits

Videos