My Fair Lady Tour

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#25My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:38pm

I’ve been moved countless times. Sorry for your bad luck but I’m not going to turn down the seat because it upsets you <3

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#26My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/15/21 at 4:53pm

RippedMan said: "I've been bumped forward at many shows on Broadway and even concerts like at the Beacon. It's not that uncommon."

Let me know how it works out for you. I like the option of sitting in my seat and not be worried in the back of my mind that I am going to be moved. BTW.. if I remember correctly.. the balcony at the Dolby involves a separate escalator or elevator. Not 100% sure.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/15/21 at 8:28pm

I get that Dame, and usually feel the same way. I don't mind distance, it's just partial view I hate. I remember seeing The 39 Steps with a rush seat and the audience cracking up and me sitting there bored because I could only see like a 1/3 of the stage. Never again!

But, for those interested, I just bought 2 Mid-Mezz seats for My Fair Lady for Saturday night for $10 each. Less than $30 for the pair. 

I have a feeling the parking will cost more than the seats. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 3:31am

Went tonight, and I have mixed feelings. I saw it on Broadway way back when with Lauren Ambrose. I do miss the lush feel of the Broadway revival, but the design is still the same idea. 

I just found this Higgins to be overly whiny, and I didn't realize he calls Eliza SO many terrible names throughout. 

It's just a weird show to me, and I don't really get why it is so popular. A few pretty songs, but the overall message I don't get. Like, they basically "She's All That" Eliza and then are done with her. But then she comes back to him? For what? They aren't lovers. It's just a very interesting story to me, which is why I went. 

The Dolby isn't as big of a barn as I thought. I didn't feel too disconnected. I loved the space and knowing the Oscars are there was kinda cool. 

Loopin’theloop
#29My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 6:18am

RippedMan said: "Went tonight, and I have mixed feelings. I saw it on Broadway way back when with Lauren Ambrose. I do miss the lush feel of the Broadway revival, but the design is still the same idea.

I just found this Higgins to be overly whiny, and I didn't realize he calls Eliza SO many terrible names throughout.

It's just a weird show to me, and I don't really get why it is so popular. A few pretty songs, but the overall message I don't get. Like, they basically "She's All That" Eliza and then are done with her. But then she comes back to him? For what? They aren't lovers. It's just a very interesting story to me, which is why I went.

The Dolby isn't as big of a barn as I thought. I didn't feel too disconnected. I loved the space and knowing the Oscars are there was kinda cool.
"

Because ‘She’s All That’ is based on the same source material…

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#30My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 12:09pm

RippedMan said: "Went tonight, and I have mixed feelings. I saw it on Broadway way back when with Lauren Ambrose. I do miss the lush feel of the Broadway revival, but the design is still the same idea.

"

RippedMan - Also, in the original, in the penultimate scene Eliza does leave Henry, but then in the last scene, she does return to him and (I haven’t seen the original stage version or the film so someone correct me if I’m wrong) they embrace as lovers. 

In that way, her returning makes that scene make more sense than it does in this revival. It adds something new, more information. But of course it can also be seen as problematic now that a woman who is mistreated throughout the musical now falls in love with her abuser to give the audience a “happy” ending.  

I get what Bartlett Sher was going for with this tweaked ending. He wanted to stay true to the original book of the musical (he also may not have been given permission by the estate to make substantial changes) while giving Eliza more self-possession & independence.

The problem as you seem to be pointing out is that as presented in this revival, that last scene seems non-sensical. She’s already stated her piece in the penultimate scene so the final scene seems like a less effective, somewhat non-sensical repeat of that penultimate scene.  

At least on Broadway, Eliza had that whole aisle through the orchestra to make her exit, lending it an air of drama. At least as presented on the Oklahoma stop of the tour, Eliza just walks off stage. I get that possibly due to logistics and Covid-related concerns, this was the prudent decision, but it does rob that moment of some needed drama. 

Just my opinion of course. I did like seeing it again on tour especially from a much closer seat. There is a lot to like. It was my first live theatrical experience in 19 months. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 2:31pm

Same, first time back in a theater since march 2020! So that was cool. 

Yeah, I saw it on Broadway and maybe just the whole experience had me on a high note. I loved the thrust stage, and Eliza exciting through the audience.

But for some reason here, I just kept wondering why do we even have this scene? Like she already said bye to him. 

Also from a staging perspective, why not have her step down from the house set, have it start moving back, her looking back it, then exiting. As it is right now she just exits and then house moves back and curtain. It just felt like a very quick and sudden ending. 

I took my sister with me and she just kept pointing out how terrible Higgins is and why the hell would Eliza stay, etc. And I was like hm, it didn't really hit me when I saw it on Broadway, but now it's sort of like this isn't really a love story at all? 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#32My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 2:59pm

Yeah, My Fair Lady is a 1956 musical based on George Bernard Shaw's 1913 play Pygmalion. So attitudes have (thankfully) shifted regarding gender roles in the intervening years.

I think Sher had limited options here and was likely limited by the estate regarding what changes he could make.

He could’ve presented it traditionally with them in a lovers’ embrace at the end. That certainly would’ve satisfy the purists who don’t like to see changes made to the classics.

Other options would’ve been to change the book, but once again I’m not sure he was given permission to do so or was not wanting to alienate the LCT’s subscribers, many of whom are likely purists.

He probably made the best choice he could given his options, but I agree that it doesn’t quite work, especially on tour. I still think it’s worth seeing though.

I definitely loved his recent revival of the King and I more which also has some problematic aspects, but the changes he made felt more organic.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 3:24pm

Agreed, worth seeing for sure. I think for whatever reason, it just totally worked on Broadway and I bought into it - maybe being so much closer I was more invested in the book scenes. But here it just all felt very flat, for me. But this is my first time having seen the Broadway version and the touring version. 

But the audience still ate it up and loved it. And the performances were all wonderful. 

I do wonder if we could get an updated version, but then I think, an updated version just wouldn't work either as the storyline itself is kinda problematic in today's views. But who knows. Still recommend it! 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#34My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 4:10pm

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#35My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 7:13pm

Hang on a  second-- what's all this I'm hearing about the original 1956 staging ending with Higgins and Eliza in a "lover's embrace". What nonsense!

Higgins is seated at his desk chair; Eliza is upstage center standing at the victrola which she shuts off to speak her line: "I washed my face and hands before I come, I did."

Higgins speaks without even looking at her: "Eliza?... Where the devil are my slippers?" Then he slides the hat brim over his eyes as the curtain falls. 

Certainly no lover's embrace. Ever.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#36My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 7:28pm

Thanks for the clarification. As I said above, I never saw previous productions or the film so wasn’t sure if I was recalling correctly what others had said about the original/previous productions. So I had asked someone to correct me if I was mistaken. Glad to have the accurate information.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#37My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/17/21 at 7:40pm

It kind of depends if the Sher ending works on the Eliza.

Saw it with Lauren Ambrose and the ending worked, because Ambrose looked devastated. So it's like she came back, saw that he'd never change, and left.

Laura Benanti played a much stronger, less emotional Eliza and the ending didn't work because her Eliza didn't seem like the type who would make a return trip to see Higgins.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#38My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/18/21 at 2:32pm

"

I agree with you about Higgins.   And I guess you are more ok with the Dolby than I am.  Did you notice one of the shows main back drops has a big piece of shmutz in the middle?  BTW.. it is LGBTQ night at MFL a week from Tuesday.  And Egyptian night this Tuesday.  Discount codes on their Instagram page.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#39My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/18/21 at 7:25pm

Oh, wish I had known! I'll have to keep an eye for their LGBTQ "The Band's Visit" night. Saw its first preview off-Broadway, and excited to see how the show has progressed. 

Someone in a Tree2
#40My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/20/21 at 3:39pm

Just caught the tour at the dreariest theater in Los Angeles, the Dolby.

The show is in great shape and the leads are really superb. All the nuances Bartlett Sher got into the LCT production are on full view in this edition. Laird Mackintosh is channeling Rex Harrison more than many, but of course that approach worked great back in 1956, so... Shereen Ahmed's soprano is easily an improvement over Lauren Ambrose's, and she commands the stage throughout. Sure, she struggles a little with the accent (actually with both), but her disbelief as she first nails the words "The Rain in Spain..." is delicious and moving. Adam Grupper is pure brilliance as Doolittle, a big step up from Leo Norbert Butz's middling take. The ensemble's singing is glorious, with a shoutout to the male trio that starts "Loverly"-- just wow! The only weak note in the cast was the Mrs Higgins we saw, who seemed neither upper crust, nor even the least bit British. 

Sure, the sets are scaled down a smidge-- the physical look is still the gorgeous equal of any Bway production. I still abhor the inclusion of drag queens in "Get Me to the Church On Time". And that final moment of Eliza's exit that worked well at LCT falls apart completely on tour when Eliza simply exits into the wings stage right, like she's moving to another room of Higgins' house. But that sour note aside, bless their hearts, this company has once again made that old warhorse sing and dance like a colt :)

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#41My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/20/21 at 8:09pm

I have one question about this production, and it is shallow, but it is the most important thing to me:

Does Higgins' House still revolve like it did on broadway? 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#42My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/20/21 at 8:45pm

Yes, and it’s great!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/20/21 at 9:44pm

ChairinMain said: "I have one question about this production, and it is shallow, but it is the most important thing to me:

Does Higgins' House still revolve like it did on broadway?
"

Design wise, it's 100% the Broadway production, just less of a "wow" when it's in a huge barn and now coming down the thrust stage at the Beaumont. But still gorgeous! 

I still don't get why they didn't end it with Eliza standing off the house set, as it moves back upstage and then have her walk off. It just felt too abrupt. 

Someone in a Tree2
#44My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/21/21 at 12:53pm

Dupe

Updated On: 10/21/21 at 12:53 PM

Someone in a Tree2
#45My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 10/21/21 at 12:53pm

^ Agreed, Rippedman. That is exactly what we said as we left the theater. There are simple ways to fix this glaring mistake in the road show. Folks around me who hadn’t seen the Bway production were totally flummoxed what is was supposed to mean. 

Updated On: 10/21/21 at 12:53 PM

bear88
#46My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 11/7/21 at 4:06am

Miles2Go2 said: "I saw the My Fair Lady tour tonight.

Some thoughts:

I saw the LCT revival with Lauren Ambrose. From what I remember, Shereen Ahmed sells the comedy more in the first act than Ambrose did.

I think it’s partially attributable to the sound mix and most of the cast leaning into their cockney(?) accents, but especially in Act I I had a hard time deciphering a lot of what was said or sung. I don’t recall having this problem at LCT.

Despite this I really liked the performances, particularly Ahmed, Kevin Pariseau (Colonel Pickering), Laird Mackintosh (Henry Higgins), Sam Simahk (Freddy Eynsford-Hill), Gayton Scott (Mrs. Pearce), Adam Grupper (Alfred P. Doolittle), and Leslie Alexander (Mrs. Higgins).

I was worried they’d tone down the “Get Me To The Church On Time” diversity of gender expression in that scene, but to my pleasant surprise, they didn’t.

The new ending still doesn’t work for me. I applaud that they wanted to end with a feminist spin while also largely adhering to the original script. But I think it actually works less well on tour. At least at LCT, Eliza exited down the aisle in the orchestra. Tonight she just walked off stage. A lot less dramatic.

Despite my reservations, I was thrilled to be seeing live theater again after 576 days away.
"

This wasn’t my first show since the pandemic started. I saw a play, The Song of Summer, in July. But this was our classic musicals weekend, as my wife and I saw a local production of A Little Night Music on Friday and the My Fair Lady tour stop in San Francisco on Saturday night.

We saw it on Broadway, with Laura Benanti in May 2021 so it was interesting, if a bit unfair, to compare. Even at its best, the touring production didn’t match the highs of the Lincoln Center revival. The Orpheum is somewhat notorious for its sound issues and that was a problem early in the show. Between that and the accents, I too often had trouble understanding the lyrics, and was saved by the fact that I knew most of them from having seen it two years ago. This improved as the show continued (the sound was adjusted). Still, Shereen Ahmed does well as Eliza, and our fortunate TodayTix draw (Row G, center-left) gave us a good opportunity to see excellent acting work by her and the rest of the cast.

Adam Grupper is a real standout as Eliza’s father. His comic delivery was terrific. Laird Mackintosh makes a good Higgins, though he comes off in the end as more of a jerk. That seemed deliberate, or perhaps I just noticed it more the second time around.

The show retains the handsome set design and turning house, and it only pales a little compared to the Broadway version due to its unique advantages at Lincoln Center.

The tour staging does hurt the final scene, which ends up seeming like a pale replica of Eliza’s pointed rejection of Higgins just a few minutes before. Ahmed starts less confident than Benanti, but she’s just as powerful by the second act, and the chemistry between her and Mackintosh isn’t strong enough to make that last scene work.

But between the staging and the requirement to keep all the book dialogue, the actors are given a near-impossible task.

I was impressed at both shows this weekend by how seriously the theaters and audiences took their obligations regarding vaccines and mask-wearing. 

And don’t let my quibbles discourage anyone from seeing My Fair Lady on tour. You won’t get the opportunity to see such a big-budget revival of this musical in a long time, if ever. It’s a wonderful show that has been revised just enough to put a feminist spin that reflects the original play while keeping the romanticism and beautiful music.

Updated On: 11/8/21 at 04:06 AM

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#47My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:14pm

Just saw the tour. Shereen Ahmed is playing a thoughtful, surprising Eliza in an otherwise stock production. Laid Mackintosh's Higgins seemed on auto-pilot for most of the performance. Only coming alive in his final confrontation with Eliza before "Without You."

I've never seen a production where Eliza and Higgins have romantic chemistry. Rex and Audrey certainly didn't have it. The text claims they want to be friends, not lovers. So I'm fine with changing the ending. I read it as Eliza's return being in his imagination, hence why she exits through the wall and not through the door. If they were going for that I'd have rather had her speak her last line from outside the playing space.

"A Hymn to Him" reads differently in 2022. The joke in the past was always "Pickering and Higgins could be mistaken for a couple. Misogyny is kind of gay." Nowadays I think "well why not? Why couldn't a gay couple teach Eliza?" Especially if we're removing the final reconciliation. Higgins has more chemistry with Pickering than Eliza in this production anyway.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#48My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 7/10/22 at 10:26pm

I caught the show for its Thursday evening performance last week, Shereen was truly remarkable as Eliza! Also, love that she included the note in her bio she graduated with a criminal justice degree. The house looked almost as big as the house on Broadway, but I don’t remember it being that loud. I’ll be curious to see how the restage that for the non-equity tour going out this fall. The rest of the production and cast seemed kind of stale, I kind of blame that on the touring being nearly complete. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

dan94
#49My Fair Lady Tour
Posted: 7/10/22 at 10:43pm

I saw the tour a couple weeks ago. The cast was good. The production fine. I just don't think the show has aged well at all.

I enjoyed the movie a lot as a kid. Watching the tour I was aghast at how mean everyone was to Eliza. It never seems like she's fully mentally aware of what she's going through. I was watching a child on stage being turned into a dress up doll for Higgins. This is an interesting dynamic, but you're left at the end of the show with Higgins singing a love song, which is confusing and not precipitated. It didn't seem to me like Lerner and Loewe were telling the same story as Shaw.

The entire part of Alfred really doesn't add much and stops the plot dead in it's tracks. It's a show of a specific era and I wonder if the era has passed to a degree that the show is no longer useful.

I agree with others. The house rotating was incredibly loud. Pickering did seem clearly gay, which I thought worked. The new ending does not work as staged on the tour.

The tour also only had 14 people in the band, which was a disappointment. The show has a lush score. This is a major Equity tour of a major revival. It deserved to have more than a standard summer stock set of musicians/orchestrations.

Videos