Merrily tickets

gibsons2
#25Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:42pm

TaffyDavenport said: "gibsons2 said: "I wasn't able to get a ticket, had only a wheelchair companion seat available once it was my turn. It's ridiculous that NYTW allowed to purchase 8 tickets from one account, scalpers will surely make sweet profits off this one..."

You could have bought that seat. It was discussed somewhere on here that someone called NYTW about them, and that it was alright for anyone to purchase them, given the demand.
"

I must have missed that piece of info... Still, really upset that unless you've purchased a membership, chances to book a ticket today were close to zero. The cap should've been at 2 tickets, not 8. Scalpers won today.

hearthemsing22
#26Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:47pm

I have been seeing that random dates have been opening up. Keep checking back-don't give up yet! 

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#27Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:49pm

Keep clicking through the calendar, tickets keep popping up. I just got three for my preferred date by pure luck.

hearthemsing22
#28Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:49pm

suzycat said: "Keep clicking through the calendar, tickets keep popping up. I just got three for my preferred date by pure luck."

So happy for you!!!

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#29Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:55pm

hearthemsing22 said: "This is one of the reasons why I got a subscription- 1. I knew tickets would sell out SO quickly. 2. I am actually interested in the other shows in the season."

How much was the subscription? I was going to pay for a Subscription just for this reason, but it was sold out by the time I looked. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

hearthemsing22
#30Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:56pm

Dave13 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "This is one of the reasons why I got a subscription- 1. I knew tickets would sell out SO quickly. 2. I am actually interested in the other shows in the season."

How much was the subscription? I was going to pay for a Subscription just for this reason, but it was sold out by the time I looked.
"

I honestly can't remember...maybe $250?

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#31Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:57pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Dave13 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "This is one of the reasons why I got a subscription- 1. I knew tickets would sell out SO quickly. 2. I am actually interested in the other shows in the season."

"

I honestly can't remember...maybe $250?
"

Thanks. I guess I missed out. I would have paid it to get tickets for this. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#32Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:04pm

Not trying to discredit the fact that today's situation was a bummer - totally valid.

If I could offer a small ray of hope though:

While the TodayTix lottery is, unfortunately, the only way to get cheap tickets to this show. But if you're ok paying full price, then I wouldn't recommend relying exclusively on it. In my experience, no matter how popular a show is, and no matter how sold out it is, there will almost always be scattered tickets that open up down the line. I've gotten into quite a few sold out shows in my day, through 1 of 2 main method:

(1) Persistently checking a show's ticket website to look for returned tickets. Especially the week of. This tactic has been very rewarding to me, on many occasions. (and I see above that this has already started happening for Merrily) 

(2) Cancellation line / waitlist. Again, in my experience, even the most popular shows have a few cancellations per performance. If you're 1st or 2nd in line for that day, there's an extremely good chance you'll get in. Easier said than done, I know, but if you can plan ahead for it and carve out the time on a day off, it's possible. And almost certainly better odds than the lottery. 

hearthemsing22
#33Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:11pm

JBroadway said: "Not trying to discredit the fact that today's situation was a bummer - totally valid.

If I could offer a small ray of hope though:

While the TodayTix lottery is, unfortunately, the only way to get cheap tickets to this show. But if you're ok paying full price, then I wouldn't recommend relying exclusively on it. In my experience, no matter how popular a show is, and no matter how sold out it is, there will almost always be scattered tickets that open up down the line. I've gotten into quite a few sold out shows in my day, through 1 of 2 main method:

(1) Persistently checking a show's ticket website to look for returned tickets. Especially the week of. This tactic has been very rewarding to me, on many occasions. (and I see above that this has already started happening for Merrily)

(2) Cancellation line / waitlist. Again, in my experience, even the most popular shows have a few cancellations per performance. If you're 1st or 2nd in line for that day, there's an extremely good chance you'll get in. Easier said than done, I know, but if you can plan ahead for it and carve out the time on a day off, it's possible. And almost certainly better odds than the lottery.
"

Totally agree with this. Don't give up! 

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#34Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:19pm

I would like to think positively that more tickets may open up, but given that there are only 199 tickets available at NYTW, the chances of gettting tickets are much less than say the Winter Garden. 

herewegoabc
#35Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:35pm

I was refreshing at 11:59, got in queue and was in the 1600s.... Of course all tickets sold out by the time I got in, but I kept checking and was able to eventually snag two tickets to one of my preferred dates! I have to travel anyway so was willing to take anything, but ended up with the final Friday performance. So thankful!

JasonC3
#36Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:46pm

Play the long game here folks.

Start up a casual relationship with Groffsauce.

Let it turn serious by Thanksgiving.

Get his house seats for multiple dates.

tgirl16
#37Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:56pm

Can anyone still see the ticket page? I refreshed and now it’s blank. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#38Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:05pm

tgirl16 said: "Can anyone still see the ticket page? I refreshed and now it’s blank."

I cannot see the ticket page at all.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#39Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:07pm

Does NYTW have standing room?

BoringBoredBoard40
#40Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:10pm

in theory no

hearthemsing22
#41Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:12pm

Wick3 said: "Does NYTW have standing room?"

I don't think NYTW does Standing Room. From what I saw on the website they have the TodayTix lottery?, a cancellation line...here's the info. Scroll down to see it. 

https://www.nytw.org/how-to-get-tickets-for-merrily-we-roll-along/

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:15pm

Sondheim's biggest flop sold-out? Interesting.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ren598
#43Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:29pm

I got in at 12:00 pm and was in queue at around the 700 range.  I got in within 5 minutes and I went to my preferred date 1/15, but it was already sold out.  I clicked on the next performance button, which was 1/17 and there was 1 ticket left in the last row.  I grabbed it.  I guess I'll be taking a day off on 1/17 to drive down from Boston to see this show.  After completing the purchase, I scrolled thru all the other dates and everything was sold out.  Looks like if you didn't see any seats in your first or second date choices, you weren't getting tickets.  Tickets went very very fast and you really didn't have time to look at more than a couple of dates before everything was gone.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#44Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 5:28pm

I hit “buy tickets” at exactly 12:00:00 and was 500th in line. I was able to get a pair of front-row seats for the last Friday performance . My friend clicked on the link at 12:00:03 and was 3,700ish in line. He couldn’t get tickets at all. Hoping some folks who tried today will be able to get in!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 6:12pm

ACL2006 said: "Sondheim's biggest flop sold-out? Interesting."

Would Anyone Can Whistle be considered his biggest flop? I think it had less performances and is definitely less respected and performed compared to Merrily (though I guess Merrily might have had a bigger budget to lose).  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BoringBoredBoard40
#46Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 7:45pm

Hi all I now have a extra ticket for a early January performance DM if you wanna discuss details

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#47Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/3/22 at 7:54pm

binau said: "ACL2006 said: "Sondheim's biggest flop sold-out? Interesting."

Would Anyone Can Whistle be considered his biggest flop? I think it had less performances and is definitely less respected and performed compared to Merrily (though I guess Merrily might have had a bigger budget to lose).
"

I think a case could be made for Merrily because it was such a brutal fall from grace after such an incredible stretch of hits, one right after the other. The failure of Merrily almost made Sondheim quit writing musicals altogether.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#48Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:31am

I lucked out and got a ticket today for my January trip. Wednesday matinee. Any recommendations for early lunch/brunch spots nearby? 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#49Merrily tickets
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:32am

Miles2Go2 said: "I lucked out and got a ticket today for my January trip. Wednesday matinee. Any recommendations for early lunch/brunch spots nearby?"

Go to Fish Cheeks for lunch or dinner- make a reservation first!

Videos