pixeltracker

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews- Page 2

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#25PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 9/28/23 at 11:26am

I think I'm the only person who wasn't enamored with this. Glad for their reviews, though.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

MemorableUserName
#26PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:46pm

WSJ is positive

https://www.wsj.com/articles/purlie-victorious-review-leslie-odom-jr-s-southern-satire-84ecc565

"The play remains radical today, and for the same reason. It is unlikely, in our more sensitive, not to say timorous, age, that many playwrights would poke lively fun at such a dark period in American history. More important, the production, directed by Kenny Leon, Broadway’s go-to helmer of black-themed plays (“Ohio State Murders,” “A Soldier’s Play,” the 2014 revival of “Raisin&rdquoPURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews, reinvigorates the jesting that animates the antic action.

He is aided by a superlative cast, all of whom fling themselves into the proceedings with infectious gusto, while never letting us lose sight of the grim underpinnings of the humor."

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#27PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/4/23 at 4:33pm

SCOOP: Donald Webber Jr is going on as PURLIE in PURLIE Victorious tomorrow night! (Thurs 10/5)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101
#28PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 8:35am

Now extended through February 4th, 2024. 

I’m this show’s biggest fan, but even I think this is a bold move and VERY wishful thinking.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/PURLIE-VICTORIOUS-Extends-Broadway-Run-20231013

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#29PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 8:53am

quizking101 said: "Now extended through February 4th, 2024.

I’m this show’s biggest fan, but even I think this is a bold move and VERY wishful thinking.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/PURLIE-VICTORIOUS-Extends-Broadway-Run-20231013
"

I'm happy for them, but this is a surprising thing to do based on their grosses so far. I hope they don't end up having to backtrack and close earlier than the extension date.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 9:08am

Really surprised this extended an entire month. Congratulations to the cast and crew!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

OhHiii
#31PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 9:09am

So Suffs to the Music Box late-March.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#32PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 7:39pm

The grosses for this play have been abysmal, despite the good reviews. Same with the other non-musicals that aren’t Harry Potter. It’s pretty alarming.

TarHeelAlan
#33PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 7:46pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "The grosses for this play have been abysmal, despite the good reviews."

I've been thinking the same thing. I want to see it while I'm in NYC the first week of January (and what was supposed to be the last week of the original run). I'm increasingly concerned that it will close well before that, which would be a damn shame. 

Updated On: 10/14/23 at 07:46 PM

The Other One
#34PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 9:18pm

It seemed to do very well during its preview period.  It wasn't on TDF when I tried to see it, so I ended up paying $100 to see it through TKTS.  Since opening and being well-reviewed, however, it doesn't seem to be doing very well at all.  

I don't get it.

The Other One
#35PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 9:26pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I think I'm the only person who wasn't enamored with this. Glad for their reviews, though."

I wouldn't say I was "enamored" of it, either, though I did think it was worth seeing.  Its weak box office makes me wonder if word of mouth on it is not as strong as its critical reception would have you believe, though most posters here and on ATC seem as enthusiastic as the critics. 

quizking101
#36PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 9:30pm

The Other One said: "It seemed to do very well during its preview period. It wasn't on TDF when I tried to see it, so I ended up paying $100 to see it through TKTS. Since opening and being well-reviewed, however, it doesn't seem to be doing very well at all.

I don't get it.

"
It’s been on TDF for many dates, but they go QUICKLY. My friend cracked it and said to check between Saturday and Sunday afternoon for newly posted dates

The Other One
#37PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 9:39pm

I don't think it was on TDF during its preview period.  I never saw it when I looked for it. It has been since it's opened.

quizking101
#38PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 10:26pm

The Other One said: "I don't think it was on TDF during its preview period. I never saw it when I looked for it. It has been since it's opened."

It was just before previews started and it was for all of previews, but either they took it down or they sold out super fast.

yyys
#39PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/14/23 at 5:22pm

Is this easy to rush after noon on Sundays?

quizking101
#40PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/14/23 at 6:08pm

yyys said: "Is this easy to rush after noon on Sundays?"

The box office opens at noon on Sunday and there are two shows so you should be fine.

Sidebar: Vanessa Bell Calloway is off this weekend (pre-planned absence) so Willa Bost is debuting as Idella Landy for all shows

yyys
#41PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/14/23 at 6:37pm

thanks!

MrMushnik
#42PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/15/23 at 10:32pm

Won the $35 lottery for the Sunday evening show today and what a stunning experience. Honestly we would prob not have gone without winning but walked out of the theater shocked to our core at what we’d just witnessed. Total perfection in every sense, performances, script, set, costumes, design. I’m telling everyone I know to see this ASAP. Bravo!

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#43PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/16/23 at 8:03am

Would anyone who saw Willa Bost as Idella this weekend care to share their thoughts on her performance?

quizking101
#44PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/16/23 at 10:32am

TheGingerBreadMan said: "Would anyone who saw Willa Bost as Idella this weekend care to share their thoughts on her performance?"

She played Idella with less sass/tough love than VBC, but had more of a world weariness and a softer, nurturing approach. She definitely looks younger than someone who’s been working as a domestic for 45 years, but that didn’t really affect anything for me. 

quizking101
#45PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/20/23 at 7:05pm

For those looking for TDF, it's now up for all performances through the first week of November

Jarethan
#46PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/21/23 at 7:35pm

I saw this earlier this week.  I found it very enjoyable, thought the cast was very strong (not a big LO Jr. fan, but I though he was really excellent), but I did not love it.

My issue with this production is probably not fair: I would much rather have seen Purlie.  Repeatedly though the play, which I had never seen before, I found myself reflecting on how terrific a job the book writer for Purlie had done in adapting the play into a musical.  Then I found myself thinking how much I would love to hear song X instead of dialogue.

After the performance, there was an audience talkback.  I actually asked if they had ever considered reviving Purlie, given the lead.  Someone said that the estate would only let them do PV and Ossie Davis's daughter then explained that they wanted to go back to the work her father wrote.  I did not say anything, but I did think to myself that Purlie would not exist if Ossie Davis had not written PV.  PV is a very good play, but I would have enjoyed Purlie more. 

Refecting on it, I think Purlie has always been an underappreciated musical; for example, the always mediocre at heart musical Applause won best musical and best score, which was a joke.  The show was a hit because Lauren Bacall was terrific as Margo and there were a lot of good things in it, but the whole definitely did not equal the sum of its parts.

JasonC3
#47PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/22/23 at 9:21pm

"Shoutylicious" would be my one-word review.  Lots to enjoy in this well-acted production and lots of laughs.  All the shouting at times made it difficult to understand what was being said and a couple of cast member's had pretty raggedy voices, understandable for the fifth performance of the weekend.

The set change before the final scene earned some well-deserved applause and the cast was generous received during the curtain call.

I felt the book in the final 5-10 minutes was not as strong as what preceded, but that is a minor quibble. 

Sat last row center orchestra on the aisle and was reminded again what a pleasure of a theater the Music Box is and how friendly and helpful all of their staff are.

Updated On: 10/23/23 at 09:21 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#48PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/23/23 at 2:51pm

Finally caught this last night. I loved so much of it, but not Leslie Odom Jr.'s performance, sadly. 

I found his diction to be atrocious. Truly, he was speaking PARAGRAPHS of dialogue and I could not tell you what a single line was. Made the first 20 minutes extremely hard to follow. 

Thankfully, the stupendous (as always) Kara Young delivered on every level. As did all the supporting players. 

I would've loved someone else to lead the company as it felt like Leslie never quite reached the level of excellence onstage around him. 

sppunk
#49PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 10/30/23 at 6:51pm

It’s funny and pleasing how people can enjoy a show but for exact opposite reasons.  Caught this Saturday afternoon and thought Kara was overacting to the extreme - so much it irked me  Leslie I thought actually played the role somewhat subtly  

Regardless I loved this   I was shocker at how funny and poignant it was  Titanique canceling led us there and I’m glad! 

Videos