Missheard Lyrics

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#25re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 2:06am

My 3 major wicked ones were all listed...

now that I've chosen to be come a palasys and advisor...

my road of good intentions led where such roads always lead... (I don't even know what I thought that said)

and my favorite

"Glinda, and Beyonce"

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#26re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 2:26am

Drove from Maryland to New Jersey today, listened to all of RENT with my sister, heard some interesting phrases coming out of her mouth

1 -- "When I get a wink from the doorman, Do you know how lucky you'll be? That your on line with the feline of Avenue B"

became...

"When I get AWAY from the doorman, Do you know how lucky you'll be? That your on line with a feline - SO THATS HOW IT'LL BE"

2 -- "This Chick'll Dance in the Flames"

became...

"This giggles, dont you blame" --- WHAT?!?!?!?

3 -- "Take your brown eyes, your pretty smile, your sillute"

became..

"Take your brown eyes and your pretty sparkled silloute"

- those were just the ones i remembered off the top of my head.

Also...
I never knew what they were singing when they said "Vaclav Havel" in LVB in RENT. I just mumbled through it!

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#27re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 3:04am

NO GOOD DEED.

Can we just TALK about...

"My road of good intentions lead where such roads always lead"

I seriously could pick out "my role of good intentions...head...always hazy..."

Without the lyrics in front of you you would have no clue.

Another great example...

"Can it be...can it be Christine.....Gotham!"

My friend Blair thought Raoul was saying "Gotham"!

Like the made up city from Batman!

I died when she was singing and said that.

One more WICKED...

"....a schnibba glibbanina eh talking just now..."

Who would have thought she was saying

"Galinda listen Nessa and I were talking just now..."

She says that in like 1 second. Updated On: 8/26/04 at 03:04 AM

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#28re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 3:09am

WAIT.

I just thought of one that I was living a lie with since 1989 when LITTLE MERMAID came out until I was about 17 or so.

"What's a fire..and why does it...what's the word.....bird!"

I thought Ariel was saying "Bird!" Hell, it rhymes with WORD! I thought maybe she had terrets (sp?)...not even kidding.

I peed my pants when my friends corrected me.

fae Profile Photo
fae
#29re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 3:14am

this one is a big fat embarrassment to me. do any of you remember the beginning voice over for "beauty and the beast" (the movie?) the voice is explaining the beggar woman etc. etc... and he says "the prince tried to abulge her"...... what in the hell is "abulge?" i tried to figure that one out for years... looked in dictionaries...tried different spellings...asked lit. majors what "abulge" meant. i finally concluded that "abulge" must be some foreign or rarely used word that roughly meant to "coddle" or "calm down."

a couple of years ago i was watching the movie with a friend of mine and asked him what "abulge" meant...... turns out that the word is "apologise".... i was just stuck on the "abulge" thing.

.......... personally i think that guy's diction sucks.... it really DOES sound like "abulge."

Ocean Breeze soap. It's just like taking an ocean cruise only there's no boat and you don't go anywhere.

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#30re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 3:39am

WICKED:
Not really funny but in "Dancing Through Life" I thought Nessa said "Finally for this one night, I would VOW to have a fun night" instead of .."Im about to have a fun night"

RENT:
I thought Roger said "Take your brown eyes, your Pirate smile, your silverware" lol

I thought Joanne said "I make this INN my SUITE baby" instead of "I make lists in my sleep"

Mille:
Not a misheard but a misunderstood, lol...I thought in "Forget about the Boy", '...and i flatter.." meant that Millie was worse off than Jimmy, FLATTER than him--Not that she IS FLATTERING him...lol

Thats all I can think of at the moment

eyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
#31re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 7:12am

My best friend is even more of a Broadway freak than I am and he is VERY knowledgeable about everything Broadway so when I found out that he had Kim in Miss Saigon singing, "I eat too much...I scream" rather than, "I eat too much ice cream" I never missed an opportunity to zing him about it...re: Missheard Lyrics

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#32re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 7:43am

In Thoroughly Modern Millie's title song, I couldn't figure out what "Hot off the press! One step ahead! Jazz age!" was until I finally looked in the lyric book.

Also, I believe this has been discussed before:
"Can it be, you're really not a b*tch..." from Phantom of the Opera

From 42nd Street, I used to think it said:

Ev'ry kiss, every hug
Seems to act just like a DRUM;
You're getting to be a habit with me.

Also, in the 42nd Street overture, when they yelled out, "JOBS!"...I used to think they said, "JOSH!" or something like that:
"We're gonna work again!" "JOSH!"

Oh, just thought of another one, from 42nd Street, in "Shuffle of to Buffalo":
I used to think "First you serve them with subpoenas (sp?)" was "First you serve them with some p*nis"

42nd Street needs to put the lyrics booklet in with the CD.

Now that I know the lyrics, it is difficult to recall some of my lyric mishaps!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/26/04 at 07:43 AM

eyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
#33re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 7:47am

LOL!! Millie, that's my chuckle for the day! "First you serve them with some p*nis".... re: Missheard Lyrics

millie_dillmount
#34re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 7:54am

Also, during the line in "Mr. Goldstone" in Gypsy, where it says:

"Any sparerib that I can spare, I'll be glad to share!"

I used to think they said something about asparagus.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

glitzguy3 Profile Photo
glitzguy3
#35re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 7:55am

millie you better turn up those hearing aids!

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#36re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 9:25am

First, Possums - exactly WHO is this Miss Heard? and secondly - other than one or two posts on this thread - is there anyone here who can quote a misheard lyric from a show that was written pre-1990???????? it seems that no one on this thread knows anything before Rent - and most of the quotes are from freaking bad shows like Wicked - come on people - if you want to call yourselves musical theatre lovers - you'd better do your homework and find out something about the HISTORY of great musicals (SO much better than the crap they are cranking out today)...silly Possums....

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

millie_dillmount
#37re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 9:32am

"is there anyone here who can quote a misheard lyric from a show that was written pre-1990????????"

"and most of the quotes are from freaking bad shows..."

Okay, the point of the post is misheard lyrics, despite when the show was written and not actually how much we like or dislike the show. So who cares if the quotes are from bad shows, as you call them - I had a good chuckle at some of the posts in this thread.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#38re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 9:47am

my point is simply this: lately it seems that most of the people on this board are only into the shows written in the past few years and couldn't care less about the brilliant shows that paved the way for current broadway possibilities. If you do your homework and look into the history of Broadway and listen to some of the older recordings, you will learn a LOT about how good theatre is created, and see exactly how shows have taken a major decline in the past 20 years or so...I have nothing against Pop-Broadway - if it's done well and still tells a story with conviction and heart (and well written lyrics and melodies, not to mention a good book)...but I just haven't seen much along those lines in the past 10 years. With the exception of Caroline or Change and anything Sondheim. Most shows out there today are just not worth the price of a ticket anymore.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

TheOneAndOnly
#39re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 10:11am

Cracking up at "a schibinna gibbina" Paul--- SO true hah

And to add another, and of course Idina in No Good Deed:

"All helpful urges should be circumvented..."

"All hell falerges should be circumvented.."

Yea, makes no sense but I could not figure out what she was saying for a while. And forget about half the lyrics in "As Long As You're Mine"...

"And somehow I'm feeling, it's up that I fell..."
"And somehow I'm feelin'....supthatiiiiiell"

"Borrow the moonlight"
?? Forget about it, the way they say it.."Baww--row-ow the moonlight", I just had no clue.

I guess that's all for now..

tcoppola
#40re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 11:19am

Well said, RedHot!

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#41re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 11:46am

well this was for Off Broadway

but my friend had some interesting BARE misheard lyrics

in One Kiss the line is "Is that LIFE I see stirring in your jeans, how obscene"

well somehow my friend thought it was "Is that MICE I see stirring in your jeans, how obscene" She turns to me and goes "Kristen, why are they singing about Mice?" I still tease her about it today!

Another one is during "Ever After" Peter sings "You Slew all my giants ignoring your own"

and my friend thought it was "You SCREWED all my giants ignoring your own"

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#43re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 1:32pm

Redhot, I think the problem is that those of us that are younger just dont know what to get. Sure, there are good classic musicals out there but there are so many, its hard to know which to get. Plus, those of us in college, for example, don't have the money to toss around so when I cough up the money for a CD, I sure as heck better like it. When you ask for suggestions, there are sooo many that its hard to know what to try.

I wish this board could have an iTunes network so we could sample more of the classics... if I could hear a lot beforehand, I would be far more apt to buy it.

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

Fair 2 Middlin Profile Photo
Fair 2 Middlin
#44re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 2:46pm

Chorus Line
"Hello 12, hello 13, hello love"
It was more of a misunderstood lyric....
"A diaphram! a diaphram! I finally got a diaphram!" I thought she meant her figure changed and she could see her ribs, where her diaphram is.

Needless to say, I was wrong.

Thank you so much Fair. You are such a "Bewitching" HUSSY! -(DAME 12/2)

notsovirginmary Profile Photo
notsovirginmary
#45re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 3:51pm

Go land in the sand and then make us mad: "draw a line in the sand and then make a stand"-Rent

On TV.. and sex. : "on TV... at Sak's"- Rent

A friend thought that "Angel Dumott Schunard" was "Angel.. do not chew lard."- Rent, obviously

I don’t listen to Wicked very often, but these drove me crazy for awhile because I knew they couldn’t be right:

Shoes win some: "she who's winsome"

I'll walk down the aisles or I'll fly: I'll want nothing else 'till I die

I still hear the lyrics from Mr. Goldstone wrong. I totally heard asparagus in there.

When I played Frenchie in Grease, there was this fourteen year old girl who was in the teen chorus, she was very sheltered and religious and every time Sandy would sing "Got my suit damp." she would cover her ears. When I asked her what the hell she doing, she explained that she was protecting herself from the sinful lyrics. It turned out she thought Sandy was saying "God should be damned."

"A wonky eye, you've got my friend."

millie_dillmount
#46re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 4:03pm

LOL, about the Grease thing.

Speaking of Grease, I was at a dance in 8th grade (ugh, dances are so stupid) and they played "Greased Lightenin'" (sp?). Anyways at the chorus where they say, "Go, greased lightenin'" someone I knew thought they were yelling out "Go, beef faggot!" I knew what they were saying, but I could see where she was coming from.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#47re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 4:05pm

Hairspray (Good Morning, Baltimore)
"...starts calling me down..."
"starts calming me down"

Its the way Marissa says it on the CD though, cause when I saw the show live, she said it perfectly. Updated On: 8/26/04 at 04:05 PM

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#48re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 4:22pm

In The Last Five Years, on "If I Didn't Believe in You" when Jamie says:

Don't we get to relax?
Without some new tsuris
To push me yet further from you?

I always heard "without some nude service." Probably because I don't know what a tsuris is...

And another, from West Side Story.
I used to think in Tonight that they were saying "and when he's had a funkell" instead of "and when he's hollered 'Uncle'"

HROK?

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#49re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 7:15pm

"A friend thought that "Angel Dumott Schunard" was "Angel.. do not chew lard."- Rent, obviously"

HAHAHA wow im not gonna be able to listen to that line on the cast recording with a straight face for a while...

Twilight Profile Photo
Twilight
#50re: Missheard Lyrics
Posted: 8/26/04 at 7:23pm

Well when I say the movie of west side story, I could have sworn in the jet song that instead of "on the whole buggen everloving street" they said "on the whole f***ing, everloving street".
Also, in Wicked, my friend thought that she says "when by the wizard you're acclaimed" she said "when by the wizard your AFLAME!". His logic behind it was, if your not with the wizard, he'll set you on fire.

I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul my only goal is just to be

Videos